View Full Version : My first commute to work - boring i know.

karlosdajackal
October 16th, 2009, 03:01 AM
First commute to work, about 27km (16.7 miles). Took the long route avoiding the motorway as I'm on a learners permit and not allowed to use the motorway at the moment (seems a bit silly I have a full license for my car and can use it every day in that, anyway)

It was about 6C(43F) when I started out, pretty cloudy a little windy, but we get 4 seasons in one day around here :D First few miles have a nice twisty country road that has recently been resurfaced. Then my first stretch on a multi lane road, was uneventful. Didn't bother lane splitting as you just go traffic light to traffic light on this part. Then over the top of the motorway and onto the road I have not driven for a few years. Again pretty uneventful, nice area good roads, speed limit is 60km (37mph) but enough twists and turns to keep it fun.

Then through goatstown and up and down a huge hill, while twisting left and right, nice fun road. This was the road where I found out my ford fiesta was bust about 8 years ago as I used to go up the hill in 4th gear, on that day, i was down to 2nd and struggling to get to the top. Anyway the bike was fun, but the road didn't last as long as I hoped. Then onto the dual carrageway. Lane split once when I was stuck behind the worlds slowest Lexus (why go 20mph on a 50mph road???). I took off from the lights a bit quick and got away from the slow cagers and up to 80km (50mph) limit of the road, all the way to work.

We have dedicated bike parking in work, so pulled up to one of the Ancors points that i can see from my office, took the chain out of the backpack, secured the bike and went inside. Plugged in and booted the laptop and went to one of the shower rooms and got out of my gear and back to the desk in time for the windows jingle :thumbup:

I wore almost everything, full leather riding boots, leather riding pants with armour, leather jacket that zips into the pants also with armour, racing gloves, balaclava and helmet. Left my back/chest protector at home as i had the backpack and also forgot my earplugs.

Bike is up to 550miles now, must book that 600 service when I get it home!

I'll try attach the route below, shall be going back the same way this afternoon.
<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=Mill+Rd%2FN82&amp;daddr=n81+tallaght,+dublin,+ireland+to:n 81+rathfarnham,+dublin,+ireland+to:Old+Bridge+Rd+to:Grange+Rd+to:6+Drummartin+Te rrace,+DUBLIN,+Ireland+(Goatstown)+to:Foster's+Ave,+Stillorgan,+Ireland+(Foster+ Motor+Co.+(Preowned))+to:53.245059,-6.142688&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FRL1LAMdOqud_w%3B%3B%3BFaE0LQMdzruf_w%3BFQc3LQMdOiig_w%3B FQIvLQMd-_Gg_yF2gnoj1WlxUA%3BFXdJLQMdSRmh_yFPqbpOFvfsnQ%3B&amp;mra=dme&amp;mrcr=4&amp;mrsp=7&amp;sz=15&amp;vi a=3,4&amp;sll=53.245649,-6.139169&amp;sspn=0.014355,0.045447&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=53.245649,-6.139169&amp;spn=0.014355,0.045447&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=Mill+Rd%2FN82&amp;daddr=n81+tallaght,+dublin,+ireland+to :n81+rathfarnham,+dublin,+ireland+to:Old+Bridge+Rd+to:Grange+Rd+to:6+Drummartin+ Terrace,+DUBLIN,+Ireland+(Goatstown)+to:Foster's+Ave,+Stillorgan,+Ireland+(Foste r+Motor+Co.+(Preowned))+to:53.245059,-6.142688&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FRL1LAMdOqud_w%3B%3B%3BFaE0LQMdzruf_w%3BFQc3LQMdOiig_w%3B FQIvLQMd-_Gg_yF2gnoj1WlxUA%3BFXdJLQMdSRmh_yFPqbpOFvfsnQ%3B&amp;mra=dme&amp;mrcr=4&amp;mrsp=7&amp;sz=15&amp;vi a=3,4&amp;sll=53.245649,-6.139169&amp;sspn=0.014355,0.045447&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=53.245649,-6.139169&amp;spn=0.014355,0.045447" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Does not seem to work, well you can see it here (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Mill+Rd%2FN82&daddr=n81+tallaght,+dublin,+ireland+to:n81+rathfarnham,+dublin,+ireland+to:Old+B ridge+Rd+to:Grange+Rd+to:6+Drummartin+Terrace,+DUBLIN,+Ireland+(Goatstown)+to:Fo ster%27s+Ave,+Stillorgan,+Ireland+(Foster+Motor+Co.+(Preowned))+to:53.245059,-6.142688&hl=en&geocode=FRL1LAMdOqud_w%3B%3B%3BFaE0LQMdzruf_w%3BFQc3LQMdOiig_w%3BFQIvLQMd-_Gg_yF2gnoj1WlxUA%3BFXdJLQMdSRmh_yFPqbpOFvfsnQ%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=4&mrsp=7&sz=15&via=3,4&sll=53.245649,-6.139169&sspn=0.014355,0.045447&ie=UTF8&ll=53.262338,-6.291733&spn=0.114796,0.363579&z=12) also

bob706
October 16th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Um, that doesn't sound boring at all. I'll trade you for my two mile, flat, straight, mega dull commute :D

CZroe
October 16th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Um, that doesn't sound boring at all. I'll trade you for my two mile, flat, straight, mega dull commute :D

Sounds like mine without all the dumb "smart lights" that leave me stuck praying for a cager every night (graveyard shift).

zail
October 16th, 2009, 11:12 AM
More interesting than mine too which is 7 miles - through the centre of Bristol (thanks to the council for their enlightened views on motorcycles in bus lanes!), up the M32 motorway and then filtering from junction 3 about 1.5 miles up to the Uni where I work... would swap it for yours for sure!

bogdanb
October 16th, 2009, 02:12 PM
More interesting than mine too which is 7 miles - through the centre of Bristol (thanks to the council for their enlightened views on motorcycles in bus lanes!), up the M32 motorway and then filtering from junction 3 about 1.5 miles up to the Uni where I work... would swap it for yours for sure!

@karlosdajackal -how could you ride a bike at 6 C ?

karlosdajackal
October 16th, 2009, 02:48 PM
@karlosdajackal -how could you ride a bike at 6 C ?

They same way I'd rode it back home later when it was 14 C :cool:

Leather gear is quite warm, no ice on the roads, helmet did its best not to fog up, in fact my legs where sweating from the leather riding pants and the heat off the engine. When its 4 C or lower in the morning my car goes to the trouble of flashing "risk of ice" on one of its screens, but I've never hit any when it does that. Any colder than 0C and I don't even drive the car, just work from home.

bogdanb
October 16th, 2009, 03:04 PM
They same way I'd rode it back home later when it was 14 C :cool:

Leather gear is quite warm, no ice on the roads, helmet did its best not to fog up, in fact my legs where sweating from the leather riding pants and the heat off the engine. When its 4 C or lower in the morning my car goes to the trouble of flashing "risk of ice" on one of its screens, but I've never hit any when it does that. Any colder than 0C and I don't even drive the car, just work from home.

:cool: Few days ago I met a friend, just came back from Belfast. He told me that you guys from the island never stop riding ... I think that our climate is warmer than yours, this morning it was 8 C, cold wind, slight rain - but no thank you ! I need at least 15 C :)

noche_caliente
October 17th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Karl - sounds like a successful commute! As for the 600-mi service, IMHO there's no need to go to the dealer for it - check out the guide that I put up in the wiki - it's really pretty simple!

Bogdan, just get some warmer gear! I ride in sub-0 (Celsius) temps around here - as long as you have warm gear and a healthy respect for the fact that your tires don't ever really get warm, and there could be ice on the road just about anywhere, it's not so bad. The fingers are the first to freeze though!

bogdanb
October 17th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Karl - sounds like a successful commute! As for the 600-mi service, IMHO there's no need to go to the dealer for it - check out the guide that I put up in the wiki - it's really pretty simple!

Bogdan, just get some warmer gear! I ride in sub-0 (Celsius) temps around here - as long as you have warm gear and a healthy respect for the fact that your tires don't ever really get warm, and there could be ice on the road just about anywhere, it's not so bad. The fingers are the first to freeze though!

:cool: Really ? I think most of you American friends live in South California, Florida and Hawaii.
May the winter here is different. Almost no one is riding a bike because of the snow and ice. To be honest with you - it's 9 C right now.

karlosdajackal
October 17th, 2009, 01:59 PM

Its free, then every 5th service with them is free, and its a condition of the 2 year warranty that they do the services. Your right it looks simple enough and I'd love to do it myself even though I don't have a garage (shared parking in apartment block). But this way I keep the 2 year warranty and get to stay warm and clean while its looked after :cool: