View Full Version : Dropped my bike today! :(

Majik
October 19th, 2009, 07:19 PM
:eek: I knew I shouldn't have gone for a "practice" ride today. I have been sick all weekend and I was too weak too ride today, but I went anyways. I couldn't stand it anymore and thought I'd be ok. I not only dropped my bike once, but I did it twice! :banghead: I managed to drop it on both sides and it happened when I was making a turn in both instances. Everything went great until I had to make the turns. I keep wanting to slow down (way to slow) and this is my mistake! Besides having a bruised knee, I am ok, however, my bike is not ok! :Cry: ALL of my fairings are now scratched, both mirrors and side lights are badly scratched (broke one of the side lights), my handlebars are scratched on the ends and my gear shift is bent inward. Now, when I put it in 1st, the bike completely dies on me. I also can't key lock my bike. The left fairing near the side light is cracked almost an inch. :( This all breaks my heart because the bike was in mint condition before I rode it today. :hitself:

Here's the thing...because someone has broken into my checking account and taken all of my money (in dispute with my bank), I don't have any money to fix the bike. Is there a certain type of glue that I can use on the fairing? I have a friend that's gonna look at the gear shift and try to fix it for me. As far as the scratches on the fairings, is there some type of compound that I can use to minimize the scratches? UGH!!! This is horrible!

k1prototype
October 19th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Sorry to hear that Connie, hopefully you get things straightened out with the bank and get the bike ready in time for the remainder of this season if not before next season starts.

bob706
October 19th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Um...that really sucks about the bike, your knee, and your bank issue. One of those days when you shoulda stayed in bed. Try some polishing compound on the scratches. Maybe epoxy for the fairings? Don't let it get you down too much :)

Majik
October 19th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Thank you Kareem. I sure hope it works out that way! Thank you Sean! I wondered about the epoxy myself so I will try that. I am trying to not let this get me down. It's been a long time since I have ridden and I'm more or less a beginner again. One thing is for sure...I will take the MSF course before I do anything else stupid! Lesson learned...the hard way!

Samer
October 19th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Hey Connie,

Really sorry about your bike. Main thing is that you're okay and you don't sound discouraged and you aren't quitting riding all together.

Just curious, were you leaning at all? or you were just going so slow that the bike wasn't stable and you couldn't use your feet to keep the bike upright?

Either way, I hope you resolve the fraud issue as well. S*IT happens sometimes :-(

Greg_E
October 19th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I have been told it is ABS plastic, if it is then I have used this stuff on ABS and acrylic:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog_name=usplastic&category_name=25394&product_id=2273
You need to get the little bottle and the needle tip to apply it all too. There is a special ABS solvent cement similar to this stuff that would probably be better. This will screw up the paint! Align the pieces and apply the solvent from the BACK side to minimize the paint interaction. The solvent should get sucked into the crack and cause the joint to be solid in a short amount of time, just hold the pieces together for a while. Test on something that isn't too visible. You may need to remove the paint around the cracks inorder for the solvent to work correctly.

Majik
October 19th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Hey Samer. No, I wasn't leaning. I tense up when making turns and instead of leaning, I sit straight up and I keep wanting to go forwards until the last minute. I am a small person...5'2" and once the bike starts to fall, I can't pick it back up. I tried to catch it using my feet on the ground and by pulling it back up, but it was too late. I had wanted to practice my turns today, but failed big time. I will be taking the MSF class soon and I know this will help me out alot. Thankfully, I was in full gear today so the only thing that got hurt was my knee. It's just bruised really bad, plus I pulled some muscles in my back from trying to keep the bike from falling. I was more concerned about my bike getting hurt than me! I was practicing in my neighborhood by the way...not on the busy streets! I def need practice with turning! Jeesh!!!

Majik
October 19th, 2009, 08:03 PM
GREG: Thanks for that info. I will check into that for sure. I really appreciate it! :D

Samer
October 19th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Hey Samer. No, I wasn't leaning. I tense up when making turns and instead of leaning, I sit straight up and I keep wanting to go forwards until the last minute. I am a small person...5'2" and once the bike starts to fall, I can't pick it back up. I tried to catch it using my feet on the ground and by pulling it back up, but it was too late. I had wanted to practice my turns today, but failed big time. I will be taking the MSF class soon and I know this will help me out alot. Thankfully, I was in full gear today so the only thing that got hurt was my knee. It's just bruised really bad, plus I pulled some muscles in my back from trying to keep the bike from falling. I was more concerned about my bike getting hurt than me! I was practicing in my neighborhood by the way...not on the busy streets! I def need practice with turning! Jeesh!!!

Okay Connie, I think I understand. I figured it would be difficult for you to use your feet to keep it up because you are petite.

I have one suggestion even before you take the MSF course. Practice on a bicycle. The MSF actually states that being able to ride and balance a bicycle is a prerequisite for the class. Ride your bicycle and really focus on what you are doing. If you don't have a bicycle, get one or borrow a friend's. What is critical is learning to balance it at very low speeds < 10 MPH, and if you can, try mentally noting the difference in bike behavior when you get above about 10 MPH, that is "counter-steer". When you get that fast, two things happen, it becomes much easier to balance the bike, actually it basically balances itself, and you push on the handlebar in the direction you want to turn. Push left to go left, push right to go right. For me, if you know that, then you know the foundations of riding a motorcycle. Good luck!

Majik
October 19th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks Samer!! I have a bicycle and I can ride it all day long with no problems. I lean into my turns and balance the bike great, rather going fast or slow. I think it's the fear of all the power with a motorcycle. I have a hard time making a turn after coming to a stop. If I'm already rolling, I seem to do better. When first taking off, it feels as though the whole bike will go over if I lean into the turn. Jeesh....like I said, I'm basically a beginner again. My 1st bike was a Suzuki 125 and I never had trouble with that bike. I never dropped it, not even once. The Ninja 250 is a lot heavier than the 125 was..that's for sure! Maybe I also need to lower the bike. I've had a couple of people suggest that to me. I didn't really want to do that because I hear that it interferes with turning...and I'm already having issues with that.

I'm not a quitter and I will keep practicing. I am not ready to give up! Thanks SO MUCH for all of your help and suggestions! :D

Samer
October 19th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Okay, my last post on this thread, I promise. This guy has some great videos for newbies like you and me! :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/CaptCrashIdaho#p/u/9/_F_0ri2hezY

Majik
October 19th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Oh KEWL! Thanks for the video Samer!! And by the way, you can post however many times you want. Doesn't bother me none! I appreciate it all!!! :thumbup:

backinthesaddleagain
October 19th, 2009, 08:46 PM
sorry about the drop. main thing is you are ok. came close yesterday to dropping it when rear tire went into a bunch of pine needles. i was already picturing picking it up and riding when bike straightened out. hope you get feeling well soon and get "back in the saddle."

Majik
October 19th, 2009, 09:15 PM
GREG: Thank you so much. I'm glad that yours didn't make the drop! Sand, pine needles, gravel = YIKES :eek: for bike riders!!! I was in full gear and so only my knee got bruised (pretty bad though). At least its too cold to wear shorts now so noone will see my huge purple knee~cap! LOL!! As soon as my gear shifter is fixed, I'll be back in the saddle again...can't wait either! :D

backinthesaddleagain
October 19th, 2009, 09:23 PM
thats the attitude. when we were younger a friend and i both were out riding dirtbikes. he had just got his new bike that day. he hit a small jump and landed squirrely. the best thing he could have done would have been to crash at that point, instead he kept it upright for about 100 feet, maybe more, in an effor to save it, he crashed into a wall and bent the forks. what a first day.

anyhow, just keep practicing, learn what you can, get better, and have fun.

kkim
October 19th, 2009, 09:25 PM
straighten the shifter with it off the bike as trying to straighten it while on it can lead to damage to the shift that's coming out of the transmission.

the bike dying when putting it into first is most likely a damaged side stand switch located near the kickstand.

dropping a brand new bike sucks as a newb, which is why most recommend a first time rider buy a used bike to start off with. you don't feel so bad when you damage a used bike. :(

heal up, read some riding technique books and get back on the horse when you feel the urge.

pictures of the bruised knee would be appreciated!! :D

Ash
October 19th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I'm glad you are okay (mostly). That is most important.

vet415
October 19th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Glad to hear all is well, well, for the most part. The bike can be fixed. Just think of it as "experience". :thumbup: Good luck to ya

Majik
October 19th, 2009, 10:00 PM
straighten the shifter with it off the bike as trying to straighten it while on it can lead to damage to the shift that's coming out of the transmission.

the bike dying when putting it into first is most likely a damaged side stand switch located near the kickstand.

dropping a brand new bike sucks as a newb, which is why most recommend a first time rider buy a used bike to start off with. you don't feel so bad when you damage a used bike. :(

heal up, read some riding technique books and get back on the horse when you feel the urge.

pictures of the bruised knee would be appreciated!! :D

Pshhttttt!!! Pictures of my bruised knee? HeeHee...hmmmm...well ok...maybe! I didnt think about the side stand switch being damaged. :thumbup:Thanks for that tip. My bike is actually a used 2008...the previous owner just kept it in mint condition. Never dropped...no scratches...nothing...until now! YAY me! LOL!! I need to get some sliders (whatever they're called) to protect my bike from future drops. I'm sure there will be another drop. Wait...NO! I gotta stop thinking that way...there will be no more drops! No way Josea! :D

Majik
October 19th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Thank you Ash and Gene! I appreciate that! Yall are ALL making me feel so much better! Thank ya thank ya!

k1prototype
October 19th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Connie,

Another suggestion once you get your bike fixed. Shim the carbs!:thumbup: Mine are shimmed and I have a friend whose bike is not. I rode his bike this weekend and I noticed the bike was so lean that the power was not smooth. Basically it felt like it was going to die as soon as I tried to apply power until it hit at least 3-4k rpms.

He is a new rider and immediately felt much more confident on my bike when he rode it considering how much smoother the power delivery is on my bike compared to his.

Another thing when you turn try not to tense up. Look in the direction you want to go and let it flow naturally. Tensing up only causes you the problem you were stating earlier. Also like you suggested you might want to lower the bike. If you can't flat foot the bike, it also psychologically can make riding a nervous experience.

A cheaper alternative to fixing the fenders (considering the bank situation) might be to go semi-nekkid a la street fighter look.

Here is a video on how to bypass the kickstand safety switch.

FLxyE0jSrBo

Majik
October 20th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Kareem: Thank you so much. That is really helpful and I appreciate you sharing that with me! Thanks for all of your tips also. Being a beginner :baby: , I'm a wee bit nervous but I know that I will overcome it with practice. Thanks for responding to my post! It has helped me out alot! :thumbup:

kkim
October 20th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I second the suggestion of shimming the needles... makes it so much easier to control the power at lower rpms.

zartan
October 20th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Kareem has a good suggestion about shimming because it will get rid of that dead space right at the beginning of turning the throttle. Making it more predictable..

I would love to see you fix that switch rather than bypass it. Leaving that stand down and taking off into your first left can toss you away... so sorry you dropped your bike. Keep up the learning and you will have it in no time. I know it is not hard not to but, Don't beat yourself up. Plastic can be replaced by saving nickels and more nickels. But your self esteem is priceless.!!

zartan
October 20th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Oh fine KKIM>> quick to the draw :)

k1prototype
October 20th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Connie,

here is how to replace your kickstand safety switch, it is pretty simple:
_ANjd9S0bMY

Here is one on how to replace the shift lever
QW6hOAsoe8k

I would also look at the other videos posted by the guy who made those videos along with other beginner rider videos. They really helped me when I was first learning to ride. Also if you get a chance take another MSF beginner rider course. They really helped me develop the mindset and skills to first get underway.

I would look at crazedlist.org (does multiple craigslist search for parts) to see if you can get some cheap parts. Much better then trying to go to a stealership.

Greg_E
October 20th, 2009, 06:16 AM
If you go with that solvent glue, make sure you have good ventilation! It is nasty stuff! If you are doing a lot of gluing it might be wise to set up a fan about 10 feet away, you don't want to evaporate the solvent too fast, but you want to keep the solvent out of your lungs.

HKr1
October 20th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Sorry to hear :(

F3nrir125
October 20th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I feel you on how the bike is messed up before riding. I had an accident on a night where I was tailgated by some cager/ricer with his scion tc and went down on my right side while i was on a uphill right turn. I have a dented tank (can live with it just some pdr work), mirrors, exhaust, fairings scratched up, broken turn signal, and a broken right rear set.
Yes, I rode back home with the pieces in my pocket, with one leg dragging, and no rear brakes.

Right now I fixed the bike in usable condition with turn signals and rearset, but didn't bother to fix the body work until I plan on selling it.

I recommend that guy Wes Collins from the youtube page. A great guy to deal with and with great pricing. I got a few parts from him and will be buying fairings from him in the future. This is his company's page- http://www.mylittlesalesman.com/

subiegy2010
October 20th, 2009, 01:22 PM
You should definitely lower the bike. I dropped my mint condition bike on my first ride too, so I know how it feels. I made the noob mistake of not letting it warm up before riding and it stalled going up a slight hill. I'm only about 5'4"-5'5" so wasn't able to get my feet down to save it. The very next day I ordered a lowering kit and a Shogun crash kit. Now that I can get both feet down, I am MUCH more confident riding it; the difference is day and night! The sliders help for the added peace of mind as well.

I've actually had it stall another time since then; I was coasting down a flat road and starting to slow down for a turn ahead and as soon as I grabbed the clutch, the RPMs fell (as they should) and it died. Once again, it wasn't warmed up yet. Good news is that this time I was able to actually put my feet down and NOT dump the bike. :) This also means that my first mod next spring will be shimming the carb needles, as other have already said.

zail
October 20th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Sorry to hear you dropped your bike - glad you're ok though! Well, apart from the knee. Have dropped my new gen twice but the worst drop was with my pre gen when I dropped it riding out of the garage and broke my leg in 2 places :(

As a shorty too my advice would be to start by getting the preload set to it's lowest setting and then get someone to scoop the seat out for you - or buy a spare seat and get that done. That way you can get the bike as low as you can without actually lowering and changing the handling - I think you said on another thread you had some boots that gave you an extra inch or so? You're a bit taller than me - I'm 5'1" with 26" inside leg - and I can manage with scooped out seat, preload altered and ordinary boots.

Good luck with whatever you decide and I hope it doesn't put you off

noche_caliente
October 20th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Sorry to hear about the drop sweetie. My advice for the crack is to use a fiberglass patch kit on the inside of the fairing. That will allow the adhesive to spread over a larger area and make it less likely to continue to vibrate loose

Majik
October 20th, 2009, 06:15 PM
You guys are ALL so wonderful! Not only have you made me feel better, but you have also given me some great and very useful information. I appreciate this more than you guys know! I'm very grateful that I found this site! Thanks to all of you, I've made some wonderful new friends! :D

DEXSPEED
October 20th, 2009, 07:48 PM
don't forget to use cold compress for the bruises.:D
i just got my bike shimmed 100% improvement throttle control wise you should do it :thumbup::wave:

vet415
October 20th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Hey, how's the knee doing? Ibuprofen can be your best friend, lol. Take care

Majik
October 23rd, 2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm doing alot better. My knee looks worse than it actually is. I haven't been able to ride since the drop because I'm waiting for a friend (who knows what they're doing) to come fix the gear shift and to shim the carbs for me. I am wondering why I can't key lock the bike. Does anyone know why this may be? There were no problems with that before the drop! I can use the key to turn the bike on and off but I can't lock the handlebars now. :confused:

Once again...EVERYBODY...thanks SO MUCH for your concern, help, advice and wonderful videos. You all are the bomb!!! :thumbup:

mikedabike64
October 23rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
I get that, I usually follow my gut, if your feeling weak, take a rain check on the ride...
Sometimes I skip an opportunity to ride If Iam not feeling 100% mentally or phyically. Sorry about the bike, hope your ok.

Alex
October 23rd, 2009, 12:58 PM
I can use the key to turn the bike on and off but I can't lock the handlebars now. :confused:

Check out the hints in this thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2561) about the handlebar lock...

Samer
October 23rd, 2009, 01:27 PM
Check out the hints in this thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2561) about the handlebar lock...

Now you got me confused, all I see is a news story about "Ride to Work Day" :confused:

Ananda
October 23rd, 2009, 01:59 PM
Hey Connie sorry about the falls. I fell going into a turn too and scratched up some of the same spots you mentioned. Taking the MSF helped me 200% in the riding department. Much better to drop someone else's bike while you're learning! (j/k)
But seriously all those little things like low speed turns you'll get to practice over and over. It will give you a done of confidence when you're done.

rockNroll
October 23rd, 2009, 02:20 PM
Now you got me confused, all I see is a news story about "Ride to Work Day" :confused:

Perhaps this thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29327&highlight=steering+lock) then

Alex
October 23rd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Yup, thx Rock. Don't know where I copied that other thread link from, must have had a temporary brain fault. :)

SF-Dug
October 23rd, 2009, 04:48 PM
This guy has a awesome series of helpful videos on youtube dealing with overall motorcycling maneuvers.

U-Turns

b2fGYU1CNb0

Leaning

Sukd3fV6reg

There are more videos.

CZroe
October 23rd, 2009, 05:14 PM
I think the second vid failed to consider that left turns are wider than right turns on roads/in countries where you drive on the right, hence, more wear on the left side than the right.

Majik
October 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM

Hmmm...all I see is the same story about riding to work. Am I supposed to look somewhere else on the website? :D

Majik
October 23rd, 2009, 06:16 PM
Nevermind...I got it...a little late, but I got it. Somehow, I missed some replies...my fault. :o

Majik
October 23rd, 2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks Dug for the vidoes! They are greatly appreciated! :thumbup:

Majik
October 23rd, 2009, 06:52 PM
The "Leaning" video is exactly what I needed to watch! That's my problem and it's why I dropped my bike...twice! I tense up when I start to make a turn and instead of leaning, I sit straight up. This is what I need to practice. I look forward to the MSF course because I know I will get excellent practice in with an instructor there to tell me what I may be doing wrong. Thanks again Dug! Thanks to ALL of you. I know I keep saying that, but I sincerely mean it. You all have been so helpful!

shogun
October 28th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Connie,
I understand how bad it sucks to drop your new ride. I dropped my brand new bike on day two of having it. I was set to the MSF the next weekend but couldn't because I broke my hand when I dropped my bike. 8 weeks later I finally took the course. That was 4 yrs ago. I love riding now! don't give up. I know it sucks.
Next question for you all you talk about "Shim the carbs" How do you do that? My wife just got a new 09 Ninja 250. I don't like that it's not fuel injected and worry about it dying on her while she's learning it. She has taken the MSF course but is still learning. any help would be great.
and Connie keep at it!

k1prototype
October 28th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Next question for you all you talk about "Shim the carbs" How do you do that?

Here you go Matt:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11963&highlight=shimming+carbs

CRXTrek
October 28th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I think the second vid failed to consider that left turns are wider than right turns on roads/in countries where you drive on the right, hence, more wear on the left side than the right.

My left turns are faster ;)... so even tire wear. :D

Majik
October 29th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Thanks Matt for the encouragement. I'm gonna keep at it and keep on practicing!! I may have dropped my bike, but is hasn't in any way changed my mind about wanting to move forwards! I picked myself and my bike up and now I'm in practice mode again. The sun may go down, but this girl will always shine! :)

CZroe
October 29th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Thanks Matt for the encouragement. I'm gonna keep at it and keep on practicing!! I may have dropped my bike, but is hasn't in any way changed my mind about wanting to move forwards! I picked myself and my bike up and now I'm in practice mode again. The sun may go down, but this girl will always shine! :)

Why are you up so late? ;)

tonybhall
October 29th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Connie... another thing to make sure you're doing in your turns is that you look all the way through your turn. A lot of new riders are looking at the ground right in front of them. When you do that you can't see very far in front of you and it will make you nervous and tense during the turn. Look as far ahead into the curve as you can see. And don't just look with your eyes. Turn your head and look where you want to go. Then lean your bike in that direction. If you do it right, it will feel like the bike is going right where you are looking.

Learning this was the key to turns for me. Before I started turning my head and looking all the way through my turns, I didn't have the confidence to really lean into the turn and felt like I was fighting my bike to make the turn late.

Also, try to remember... Slow in, fast out. Do your breaking and downshifting before you get into the turn. Once you apex the turn, roll on the throttle and power through the turn as you straighten out.

Hope all that helps. Good luck with getting you bike fixed. Glad to hear you're ok.

Ananda
October 30th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Connie,
I understand how bad it sucks to drop your new ride. I dropped my brand new bike on day two of having it. I was set to the MSF the next weekend but couldn't because I broke my hand when I dropped my bike. 8 weeks later I finally took the course.

Wow, your story is so similar to mine! Except I dropped my ninja on my foot and was in a cast for a month. Getting into MSF after being put on "standby" was a pain!

jorgecornet
December 14th, 2009, 11:42 AM
"this guy" is also a member thanks for posting my videos...i enjoy you guys making good use of them...have you guys been keeping up with my vlogs?

bdavison
December 14th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Connie, It happens to all of us sooner or later.
Ive been riding for a long time and managed to drop mine yesterday. I had just finished oiling the chain, and went to take it off the spool stand...It got away from me and fell to the right. Luckily I had a huge cardboard box from my new plasma next to the bike, and it fell on the cardboard box, crushing the box so it didnt do any damage to the bike.
Whew...got lucky there.

Id highly recommend you get some frame sliders in the near future. You might also want to hit the gym, and work on some strength building. If ya get some muscles, it might make managing the bike a bit easier since you are a smaller rider. I wish ya the best on fixing your bike....and riding it.

Daeldren
December 14th, 2009, 01:08 PM
If it makes you feel any better even professional racers drop bikes, its all part of the learning curve. I have noticed that compared to bikes like the buell blast our ninja's tend to have a slightly higher centre of gravity (which is great for high speed cornering, but slow speed takes a little more practice). Don't fret too much and just get back on her and ride.

eddiekay
December 14th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Fixing the plastic depends on some basic stuff...like where it's carcked and if anythings missing. If you merely want to keep the lines smooth you can fashion a mending plate out of aluminum and fasten it to the inside of the cowl.. by simply "massaging" the piece into place...naturally...it has to be light, like trim coil used on houses...then just fasten it with pop rivents. It'll look like boiler plate but works and will last. Again...a lot depends on where the fracture is...another messy way is to buiild it up from the inside like a paper mache construction....plastic-net-plastic - net plastic building a bigger layer each time, this will not last as long as a mechanical bond (pop rivets) but will not show on the outside. It's messy and as with the rivets...the crack will still show. I've done both and the rivets are very quick and easy. Hope this helps...the rivet way...if you have the gun and a small piece of coil...costs nothing.

subiegy2010
December 14th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Fixing the plastic depends on some basic stuff...like where it's carcked and if anythings missing. If you merely want to keep the lines smooth you can fashion a mending plate out of aluminum and fasten it to the inside of the cowl.. by simply "massaging" the piece into place...naturally...it has to be light, like trim coil used on houses...then just fasten it with pop rivents. It'll look like boiler plate but works and will last. Again...a lot depends on where the fracture is...another messy way is to buiild it up from the inside like a paper mache construction....plastic-net-plastic - net plastic building a bigger layer each time, this will not last as long as a mechanical bond (pop rivets) but will not show on the outside. It's messy and as with the rivets...the crack will still show. I've done both and the rivets are very quick and easy. Hope this helps...the rivet way...if you have the gun and a small piece of coil...costs nothing.
I used a Bondo Bumper Repair Kit to fix my cracked fairing. I put some of the mesh included in the kit over the crack then liberally spread the epoxy over it, which dried into a very rigid thick black layer in less than an hour. I then used some touchup paint on the crack itself to fill it in. Everything worked out quite well and you can only see the crack if you know to look for it now. Much better than buying a new fairing for over $200!
http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/large/bnd/280.jpg

TX_2Fiddy
December 15th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Well since its been bumped...Have u taken your MSF course yet Majik? Wut did U decide to do bout the fairing and have U been riding again or bike put up for winter?

bdavison
December 15th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Connie, there are little tabs that the keylock sits into.....in your drop, if it forced the handlebars to one side, it can smear or break off that tab....and then the lock doesnt work.

Nickds7
December 15th, 2009, 06:59 PM
The lock probably doesn't work because the forks are probably twisted in the trees. I had the same problem.

I don't think sitting strait up is your problem. It could just be just that you are not using proper counter steering. Take the msf before you go out riding again, it will cure the problem. Good luck :(

ally99
December 22nd, 2009, 05:33 AM
Hey Connie. I can relate! I started riding on my "Lil' Ninj", and this past fall I bought a 650, my "Big Ninj". I LOVE LOVE LOVE the power of the Big Ninj, and boy is it FUN when going over 10 mph, but anything under 10 sucks. It's set much higher and heavier, and when going low speeds, I tense up pretty badly. And U-turns?!? I was tackling those suckers like you described, sitting straight up and not leaning at all. Then, yep, I dropped it. Knowing how much bigger, taller, heavier the bike was than me really screwed with my mind, and no matter how much I practiced, I couldn't get comfortable at low speeds on the 650. I'm in love with the bike at any other speed. :) My hubby doesn't want to lower it b/c we are heavily into mountain riding, and lowering it can really affect the suspension in corners. Sadly, the bike is too big for me, so until they make a bike the size of my Lil' Ninj w/ a bigger engine, the Lil' Ninj it is! I love my bike, so that's no problem (though I love it a little less when stuck behind a lot of slow traffic that I can't get around. :-) Anyway, I know the feeling. My hubby gave me some great advice when turning from a stop, and it has made me much more comfortable. Lean the bike up under you more when countersteering isn't in effect. Turn the handlebars the opposite way for a split second and then relax your arms and let the handlebars follow the bike into the turn. They will actually turn in the direction you want to go. This motion forces a countersteering effect, and the bike feels much more stable. For example, if you're at a stop sign and you want to turn right, these tight turns can be more difficult to pull off if you just try to sweep through it as a car would, keeping the bike straight up. Instead as soon as you start to move, turn to the left for a second, relax your arms, and and the handlebars will want to follow the leaned bike into the right turn. Remember to keep your eyes in the intended direction at all times, and don't look down. The bike will lean up under you and will REALLY tighten those turns. I wish I had a way to "show" you what I was talking about. Below is the best I could find. Notice the quick, smooth, relaxed "flick" immediately before the full turn in the first video. The 2nd shows how to lean the bike up under you for tighter turns.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHo6kZc33Ks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DAV9Pe1fw0
I hope this helps a little. I can relate to everything you've said. Let me know if you have other questions that I can help you with! :) Ally

dbotos
December 23rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Body_plastics_repair_guide