View Full Version : Question about gloves

Kalivos
October 23rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
So I went to multiple bike shops trying on Gloves. A lot of them had some decent gloves, but I had size issues. Mediums were just too small for me, it was a struggle to get the ones that would fit on all the way, and the others, well, just didn't fit...but Large feels like I have extra space. And I don't mean a lot of exta space, I mean just around the fingers. Like small, small little space pockets above them. Or on my pinky and index finger, like, seriously, a couple of centimeters of space in front of my finger tips.

Is this normal of bike gloves? I always assumed they should be a perfect fit, tight, like a second skin kind of thing. It's driving me craaaaazy.

ScraitT
October 23rd, 2009, 11:20 AM
As far as I know they should be tight enough that they don't move around, but loose enough that they don't affect the closing and opening of your hand so that they don't interfere with using clutch and brake.

My gloves I know are a size too small. I was in between a medium and large size in gloves (ordered online), and figures since I wear small/medium in shirts usually, that the medium glove would be a better fit. I have long fingers...it wasn't the better fit, haha. However they don't seem to interfere with hand movements, so they do the job for now.

CRXTrek
October 23rd, 2009, 11:25 AM
There's some good info in my sig link below...

HKr1
October 23rd, 2009, 12:01 PM
It'd hard to find a nice pair of gloves that dont pull on either your thumb, or finger. You know when you grab the bars.

rockNroll
October 23rd, 2009, 12:19 PM
You could try some ladies gloves to see if you can find a better fit (yes, I'm being serious).

tjkamper
October 23rd, 2009, 12:28 PM
Gloves should be snug, but not tight. They should go on easily, but not come off if you tug on the fingers. You don't want to lose circulation when you squeeze (a recipe for disaster). Get gloves with either rubberized or leather pads over your knuckes as other road users can fling rocks which can really hurt if you don't have protection.

Gauntlets are usually less comfortable, but offer optimal protection. I prefer gloves to my wrist, but I do occationally use gauntlets in cold weather.

Good gloves also are designed to have your hand closed if you buy them from shop, you will see that the fingers are curved even though there is no hand in them.

I have seen lots of articles recommend gloves with the seems on the outside for added comfort, but I have never owned a glove like this and I have seldom ever seen them when shopping.

As a tip, if you ever plan on doing any riding in the rain or even fog, look into gloves with a sqeegy on the index finger of the left hand. (it comes in really handy).

Flashmonkey
October 23rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
When you tried on the large gloves, was there a lot of room at the end of the fingers and the thumb? The thumb is of particular importance, because if there's a lot of extra length, you'll be hitting the horn when you go for the turn signals....every single time. Ask me how I know :D

I'm in between sizes as well (between medium and large actually), but after a decently long ride, my hands get fatigued in the full leather medium gloves I bought. This isn't so with my large sized, full leather gauntlets. I say go with the large. If they're too big...go out in the rain with them and let them get soaked. They'll shrink a bit. Ask me how I know that too :D

adouglas
October 23rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
I'm a fan of the Lee Parks gloves

http://www.leeparksdesign.com/

They're made of deer skin and elk skin, and have very few seams...only four on the whole glove. The logic is that all those tiny fiddly bits and seams just give you more potential points of failure if you do go down.

The deer skin stretches as they break in, and afterwards they fit amazingly well. Better than any gloves I've ever owned, of any type.

The size chart on their site shows you how to measure your hand, and I found it to be spot-on accurate.

LazinCajun
October 24th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Not 15 minutes ago I was thinking about posting a question to see if anybody had used the Lee Parks gloves. Are you using the gauntlet style gloves? They don't look like they have any ventilation, so I was wondering how they are in warm/hot weather.

Sorry for the small threadjack :)

adouglas
October 24th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I have a pair of the gauntlets and also the short-cuff ("tour") gloves. If you're worried about heat I'd go for the short-cuff ones, because you can potentially let some air in to cool your wrists.

No, they don't have vents. This is also in keeping with the Parks design philosophy. You want as few pieces and as few seams as possible. That makes the gloves stronger.

I've had no problems in warm weather, but bear in mind that I live in the Northeast. It gets warm here (90s in summer occasionally), but not crazy-hot for weeks on end.

You don't get a lot of cooling off your hands anyway. Wear a vented/mesh jacket... that'll keep you cooler than any vents that might be on your gloves. The geegaw knuckle vents you see on some gloves strike me as a bunch of hype.

I wear a mesh jacket and it keeps me plenty cool overall.