View Full Version : new bike - squidmobile

andrewexd
October 26th, 2009, 10:31 PM
So here it is, my new (used) bike. 2007 zuki GSXR600 2.5K miles on the odometer. The power is pretty insane (in a good way) I never have to go past 4th gear, the riding position isn't too bad and I rode it home 80 miles (im also only 5"7). I must say its too easy to get into triple digits though :) am I now obligated to join gixxer.com ? :eek::D:o:( anyways, sadly this means the ninja has to go :( Im going to get the suspension tuned for my weight, the owner was much bigger/heavier than I was. Mod plans are just frame sliders and and a slip on exhaust. It's definitely not as light and flick-able as the 250 and its somewhat of a pain to maneuver in parking lots because of my height, but overall its great. :thumbup:

Yeah, that's a taped up mirror - $25 fix I will probably never do :p (turn signals still work and the mirror is still there)

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/andrewexd/bizzike/CIMG0340.jpg http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/andrewexd/bizzike/CIMG0342.jpg http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/andrewexd/bizzike/CIMG0341.jpg

Reswob
October 26th, 2009, 10:52 PM
What is it with people buying 600's and immediately having to go out and buy a new exhaust!?!??! I see it all the time on various forums and I just don't get it. Spend $5-900 for a couple lousy hp (on a bike that already has insane power)? Those gixxers have probably the best looking non-undertail exhaust, and 99.99% of aftermarket cans are fugly as hell. Somebody explain it to.

Oh, and congrats on the purchase. Stay safe, rubber side down! :D

CRXTrek
October 26th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Have fun with the bike. :thumbup:

Here's a vid that may help you
joEXzSQusbQ

and Josh, i'm leaving my stock can on. 8)

Sound Wave
October 26th, 2009, 11:59 PM
reswob, i agree that his oem exhaust is one of the best looking ones around. changing out the exhaust has a lot of it has to do with the sound. i guess it is one of those, "if i have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand" things. hehe :)

i want to get an exhaust too, but i don't have the coin for it right now. the v-4 sounds sweet with an exhaust.

andrew, looks good! :thumbup: personally, i would have to change the mirror out right away. i guess stuff like that bug me.

congrats on the new ride. i have never ridden one of those, but i admire them a lot.

AnarchoMoltov
October 27th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Congrats on the new bike, seen yer post over on gixxer too..lol...Welcome 2 the new forum, you will find it's not as organized as ninjette, and as far as DIY's theres no comparison to ninjette..Also there is an insane amount of advertising, it's annoying, all that aside, it is a good forum to learn some stuff about the new bike...I got the 07 750, they are practically the same bike, stay out of trouble, that bike is built for SPEED..

sharky nrk
October 27th, 2009, 05:18 AM
no a zook fan but I do like the black and blue scheme. congrats on the purchase.

bob706
October 27th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Good looking bike, looks fast just sitting there. Congrats :thumbup:

andrewexd
October 27th, 2009, 07:50 AM
reswob - haha I unsderstand what you mean. Its not that the stock exhaust looks or sounds bad, but the slip ons sound sooo good. Probably going for the cheaper ones FMF, Yoshi, M4, Scorpion. The Akra sounds really nice but too expensive.

CRXTrek - im such a noob at these things I don't want to do it myself :o and i don't have a rear stand to set the sag and all that. I think it costs like 20 bucks for a shop to tune the suspension, im only going to do it once right ?

soundwave - lol at least you have a reason, I've ridden with (not on) the interceptor and they are super quiet. As for the mirror, i don't know if it's my suspension settings or all of them do this but they vibrate so much I can barely see them on the highway :confused:

AnarchoMoltov- yeah I agree, the ad's all on the page can get annoying but seems like theres some good info, aside from the Nos guy and the guy who cut of his fingers :eek: and this thing is definitely fast, just trying to take it slow until I get comfortable.

sharky nrk - thanks, tbh I wanted the 07+ cbr600rr but it would have cost me at least 6.5K for low miles to get one so, out of my price range unfortunately. I paid 4500 for this one.

Bob- thanks.

CZroe
October 27th, 2009, 07:58 AM
That color scheme is awesome... really shows the stylish cuts. Me want.

I've always LOVED the look of that stock exhaust and my hearing is bad enough, so I wouldn't even think of switching. Oh, and I use my A2DP stereo kit to listen to music and make/take calls all the time, so a loud exhaust would interfere with that.

Greg_E
October 27th, 2009, 09:11 AM
What do you mean it vibrates like crazy on the highway? That shouldn't happen on that bike unless the vibrations are coming from the tires and bad roads.

And be careful, you should be able to break the speed limits in second gear and the bike probably doesn't start to feel alive until about 90mph.

You don't really need a rear stand to set the suspension, you just need two friends. One friend is in the front and keeps the bike from falling over. The other friend either lifts the rear section up or pushes it down to set sag (taking into account the friction in the shock). Opposite when doing the front suspension. I would definitely do some reading on the subject of setting up the suspension, and try it before going to a shop. That way when they are doing the suspension you know what questions to ask so that you have a better understanding of the process.

Also keep in mind that proper setting for the street and proper settings for the track are going to be different.

CRXTrek
October 27th, 2009, 12:09 PM
What do you mean it vibrates like crazy on the highway? That shouldn't happen on that bike unless the vibrations are coming from the tires and bad roads.

And be careful, you should be able to break the speed limits in first gear and the bike probably doesn't start to feel alive until about 9,000 RPM

You don't really need a rear stand to set the suspension, you just need two friends. One friend is in the front and keeps the bike from falling over. The other friend either lifts the rear section up or pushes it down to set sag (taking into account the friction in the shock). Opposite when doing the front suspension. I would definitely do some reading on the subject of setting up the suspension, and try it before going to a shop. That way when they are doing the suspension you know what questions to ask so that you have a better understanding of the process.

Also keep in mind that proper setting for the street and proper settings for the track are going to be different.

Fixed :D

Greg_E
October 27th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Well that too which oddly enough is probably close to 90mph in third gear or maybe fourth.

andrewexd
October 27th, 2009, 12:46 PM
probably spoke to soon, its not the vibration (although the crappy roads do that too) but the position of the mirrors makes it hard to see out of them. They vibrate a little but comprable to the 250.

I haven't tested, but im pretty sure it'll do 75 in 1st gear. I usually cruise on the highway in 4th at about 7k ? can't remember too well.:D:eek: As for suspension, a local forum im on all say Cyclemall does a great job on suspension and the guy Tige explains everything while he does it. I don't have the tool to move the springs (yeah it can be done with a screw driver and a hammer but still) so I probably will just take it to the shop. and plus none of my friends ride, or are mechanically inclined at all (im 17), it would probably be a disaster lol

andrewexd
October 27th, 2009, 12:49 PM
That color scheme is awesome... really shows the stylish cuts. Me want.

I've always LOVED the look of that stock exhaust and my hearing is bad enough, so I wouldn't even think of switching. Oh, and I use my A2DP stereo kit to listen to music and make/take calls all the time, so a loud exhaust would interfere with that.

yeah I didn't really like the other colors except the white/silver which is rare and the black looks okay but I didn't want another black bike. I always listen to music when I ride, more to block wind noise than anything.

paterick4o8
October 27th, 2009, 12:58 PM
congrats

nice bike.

GSXRs are nice, I just hate the bad rep all the :squid: give them. hopefully you dont become not like the many SQUIDXRs I see all the time in my area :lol:.

ride safe and have fun!

rockNroll
October 27th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Nice bike! Btw.. you don't need a stand to set your suspension. The best way to go is to have two buddies help you. One holds the bike upright while one takes measurements while you're on the bike. You CAN do it :thumbup:

andrewexd
October 27th, 2009, 07:17 PM
congrats

nice bike.

GSXRs are nice, I just hate the bad rep all the :squid: give them. hopefully you dont become not like the many SQUIDXRs I see all the time in my area :lol:.

ride safe and have fun!

haha yeah but there hasn't been many sportbikes out lately even though the weather is still good.

As for suspension, Sorry guys, I already got it done today at the shop :o Huge difference, the guy said the back was set super stiff and now I can touch the ground more and the ride is much better :thumbup:. Also, this is not a bike to get stuck in traffic with. :mad:

HKr1
October 28th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Dam red X's :rolleyes:

Greg_E
October 28th, 2009, 01:30 PM
No red X's here, just a blue cycle.

HKr1
October 28th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Ah, home where I can see pics....

Thats an awesome looking blue/black sceme. Congrats on the new bike :thumbup: