View Full Version : Life-Sized Ducati Cake

talldrink
October 27th, 2009, 08:19 AM

SCOTTSDALE, AZ -- The Founder of Valley-based GoDaddy.com got a sweet surprise at his Saturday wedding in Virginia.

Food Network's 'Ace of Cakes' took on the task of designing and preparing a life-sized cake modeled after a Ducati motorcycle, CEO Bob Parsons' favorite.

The edible motorcycle was even functional, complete with ignition key-start, horns and lights.

Bakers from the Baltimore-based Charm City Cakes, setting of the Food Network hit, also crafted a 10-tier cake for the couple, adorned with edible family photos telling the couple's life story.

Cake 'Chef' Duff Goldman said in an AP interview that Parson's motorcycle cake is "the coolest cake he's ever made."

Greg_E
October 27th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Now there's a bike that might actually be MINTY when they sell it.

LazinCajun
October 27th, 2009, 10:08 AM
That's unreal! I didn't know it was possible to do things like that with cake.

HKr1
October 27th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Yummy :)

backinthesaddleagain
October 27th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Being GoDaddy.com I would have settled for a life size Danica Patrick cake.

zartan
October 27th, 2009, 10:20 AM
that is fantastic!!! I can't even get my ganache to look good on a single layer. bah!

00v_Lucky
October 27th, 2009, 09:06 PM
The Ace of Cakes never ceases to amaze me.

headshrink
October 27th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Schwing!

My wife makes cakes... I think I just found the idea for my birthday. :D

ManyCavies
October 27th, 2009, 09:28 PM
What Chef Duff does is so beyond cake.:thumbup: He is so talented! I am not surprised he could make a bike.

headshrink
October 27th, 2009, 09:39 PM
My wife just took a look at it and said she thinks the tank and seat are likely the only cake parts. Not implying anything negative, we just like to deconstruct cakes since it is her hobby (which has been paying).

talldrink
October 28th, 2009, 05:24 AM
My wife just took a look at it and said she thinks the tank and seat are likely the only cake parts. Not implying anything negative, we just like to deconstruct cakes since it is her hobby (which has been paying).

Really??? I was wondering about that. I watch the show and noticed that some parts of their (not just them - Cake Boss (and most bakers I'm sure))cakes are not edible. I never thought about that before but found it interesting. Great talent still!

Daeldren
October 28th, 2009, 05:48 AM
sweet, so he can keep the leftovers and build him a functioning bike, except their probably plastic or something :{

Snake
October 28th, 2009, 08:14 PM
That is very cool. Talk about a sweet bike. lol

sofo
October 28th, 2009, 08:18 PM
That is seriously cool. It's even flat black with Termis.

BlueTyke
October 30th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I heard about this on the radio yesterday or the day before I forget. Being in Baltimore everyone is very proud of Duff. This particular project was mentioned and I do believe it's making is going to be on the show...

I do recall them saying that the lights are actually from Ducati and so those (obviously) are not cake. They used a gutiar amp to make noises in the cake and they had steam coming out of the exaust.

As for the rest I believe it is either cake or fondant... A lot of fondant.