View Full Version : Can wind tip over our ninjettes?

00v_Lucky
October 27th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Since there is a high wind advisory notice for California I was worried about my bike parked out there on the curb.

The wind is blowing like crazy where I live and whenever a strong wind blows here and there, I am constantly checking outside to see if my bike is alright. Is anyone else worried about this?:confused:

If not, I am just curious of how strong of a wind is needed to tip over a motorcycle.

Edit: Okay, I checked weather.com and it tells me they are 20 mph winds, so I am not too worried anymore because I think 20 mph winds are too severe :) or are they? :(

For your time: Emmy Rossum

http://www.uploderx.net/dphrag/32223.jpg

capt_bugaloo
October 27th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I had an EX-500 blown over on its side in a very strong windstorm - winds of 100+kph.

Alex
October 27th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Yup. My 570ish lb BMW has been blown over in a windstorm. If at all possible, park it so the stronger wind will be blowing it to the left (into the sidestand), rather than having it be able to lift the bike and slam it down on the right side.

headshrink
October 27th, 2009, 09:16 PM
We had 25mph wind here today.... I rode it all the way to and from work on the freeway. I think it is fun.... told people I sailed to work;)

Good questions BTW. I have wondered the same, and am frankly surprised it was so easy to find people who have personally had their bikes blown over.

Nickds7
October 27th, 2009, 10:53 PM
^-- I even ran into this guy and we sailed towards our homes together for about 5 minutes.

I'm kinda worried about it. I'm ditching the garage at my apartments since I'm tired of $75 a month. So outside parking with a cover for me.

CZroe
October 28th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Would parking parallel behind your car help? I'd imagine that even wind blowing against it would hit a high-pressure area and mostly sail over the bike AND the car.

lockie
October 28th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Mine blew over the first night I put a cover on it. It was windy but no storm. Since then I've been more careful and parked in lee side of the house.

Apex
October 28th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I always tried to park mine near a wall. Side stand towards the wall. That always did a good job of making sure it would still be standing the next time I walked up to it. You gotta park it VERY close though.

islanderman7
October 28th, 2009, 09:33 AM
The wind is more likely to tip over your bike if you lowered it because the angle the bike sits is more vertical.

Verus Cidere
October 28th, 2009, 11:25 AM
+1 on parking close to a wall. The more windblock you can find, the better. Just park so that your sidestand is right next to the windblock and any wind that's around won't make it to that side, thus your bike will stand! :D

KJohnson21
October 28th, 2009, 05:49 PM
The wind is more likely to tip over your bike if you lowered it because the angle the bike sits is more vertical.

That's if you lowered the bike and kept the stock side stand. If you switch to the RoaringToyz side stand, or shorten the stock one, the bike will have a much more noticeable lean angle.

mike_sema
October 28th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Man the winds yesterday were insane:mad: here in Tucson AZ wind was reported at 25-40 mph, I rode to work and found it to be no big thing but on the way home at 3:00 it was a different story all to gether I literally got blown from the fare left lane to the fare right lane there was nothing I could do about it but think to my self what a retard I was for ridding to work with an high wind advisory in affect and how lucky I am that their was no one in the other two lanes

Daeldren
October 29th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I was looking at the RS125 on display at the local Duc and Aprilia dealership the other day and noticed it had some fairing damage from where it looked like it had been laid down. I asked the dealer what had happened, for my sick sense of humor hoping to hear that some dumbass was messing around on it. Turns out a small gust of wind picked the damn bike up off the ground about a month ago, doesn't suprise me though it only weighs like 250lbs.

So I have no doubt it can happen to a ninja as well.

CZroe
October 29th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I was looking at the RS125 on display at the local Duc and Aprilia dealership the other day and noticed it had some fairing damage from where it looked like it had been laid down. I asked the dealer what had happened, for my sick sense of humor hoping to hear that some dumbass was messing around on it. Turns out a small gust of wind picked the damn bike up off the ground about a month ago, doesn't suprise me though it only weighs like 250lbs.

So I have no doubt it can happen to a ninja as well.

Those are some nice-looking little bikes. It's a shame they aren't street-legal. :(