View Full Version : Sigh. Hit and run, twice!

inbox526
October 28th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Experienced my first accidents with my bike today. I was in the shopping area around UCLA today, having lunch with my gf, with a little shopping, when 2 hours later, when I returned to my bike, I'm informed by the employee of the office I parked in front of that my bike was knocked over twice.

Apparently two different cars tried to back into a space in front of me, a larger SUV of some sort, and a black mercedes. Both of them fully knocked it over, where my front fairing hit the curb, receiving severe scuffs and a crack on the right side, as I parked perpendicular to the curb facing it. All the normal stuff that gets scratched is scratched and chipped, but my shogun frame protectors worked beautifully and there's absolutely nothing on the side fairing itself :D

Worst part of all of this is though, apparently the first guy left a note, with his name and number, and the second guy thought since the first guy left a note, he could get away clean maybe -_-. Yet, the number on the note is a cell phone registered to a different name.. all the way in Kansas. Wonderful!

I've no idea what to do now since the guy who told me about the accidents didn't take down any plate numbers.. but I do have full coverage.. Would insurance cover this? I'm going to report this to the police tomorrow.. Are there any details I should be aware of?

wayanlam
October 29th, 2009, 12:03 AM
no surveillance cameras? he he...

CZroe
October 29th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Experienced my first accidents with my bike today. I was in the shopping area around UCLA today, having lunch with my gf, with a little shopping, when 2 hours later, when I returned to my bike, I'm informed by the employee of the office I parked in front of that my bike was knocked over twice.

Apparently two different cars tried to back into a space in front of me, a larger SUV of some sort, and a black mercedes. Both of them fully knocked it over, where my front fairing hit the curb, receiving severe scuffs and a crack on the right side, as I parked perpendicular to the curb facing it. All the normal stuff that gets scratched is scratched and chipped, but my shogun frame protectors worked beautifully and there's absolutely nothing on the side fairing itself :D

Worst part of all of this is though, apparently the first guy left a note, with his name and number, and the second guy thought since the first guy left a note, he could get away clean maybe -_-. Yet, the number on the note is a cell phone registered to a different name.. all the way in Kansas. Wonderful!

I've no idea what to do now since the guy who told me about the accidents didn't take down any plate numbers.. but I do have full coverage.. Would insurance cover this? I'm going to report this to the police tomorrow.. Are there any details I should be aware of?

WOW! Very touchy situation. I wouldn't want the honest guy yo get stuck paying more than his share of the damages but, at the same time, bringing up the second guy could only hurt insurance negotiations.

That said, I always park as far back in the parking space as possible and I try to chose ones that are at the end of the rows or beside a cart corral or something so that drivers from at least one side can see me before they get to the space. I know someone who had his '07 CP Blue Ninjette run over in a parking space, so I'm letting his experience teach me a lesson and will not be risking my '08 CP Blue the same way.

inbox526
October 29th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Hmm. Thats assuming I can find either person that hit me right now..

I was actually parked next to an open space of about 4-5 feet, a red zone with a post designed for locking a couple bicycles to. So if I was facing the curb, the car's spot to my left, and 5 feet of open space to my right.

And there actually was NO honest guy in this situation. The number on the note left by that person is for a cell phone in kansas, registered to a completely different person.

Do many of you have experiences where your bike is knocked over and people leave as if it doesn't matter? With a car, this is almost unheard of. With my bike today, it happened twice within a span of 2 hours.

LuxMundi
October 29th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Did the 1st guy stand it up (for the 2nd to hit)? If so, go CSI on his ass and dust for prints/ DNA!

Sorry this happened to ya. My feeling is that many cagers are intimidated by bikers, and the easiest way to avoid a confrontation is to get the **** out of dodge. I've seen a couple youtube videos where car drivers leave the scene of accidents.

CZroe
October 29th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Hmm. Thats assuming I can find either person that hit me right now..

I was actually parked next to an open space of about 4-5 feet, a red zone with a post designed for locking a couple bicycles to. So if I was facing the curb, the car's spot to my left, and 5 feet of open space to my right.

And there actually was NO honest guy in this situation. The number on the note left by that person is for a cell phone in kansas, registered to a completely different person.

Do many of you have experiences where your bike is knocked over and people leave as if it doesn't matter? With a car, this is almost unheard of. With my bike today, it happened twice within a span of 2 hours.

My mother was parked in the insurance office's parking lot (Allstate) and came out to find that the passenger-side wheel well and surrounding body of her Toyota Celica wash ripped apart with the responsible party nowhere to be seen. It had to be a large truck of some kind to have inflicted so much damage without hurting their own ability to drive off. All State wouldn't cover it simply because she wasn't in the car when it happened and so there was no "covered" driver. :mad:

Anyway, the wheel couldn't turn with all the mangled body pieces around it so a mechanic friend had to chop and hammer it out so I could still be driven. It looked like a big crushed mess, but it was drivable. There was still a huge concave area all around the tire and the tire would still scrape bits if you turned it too sharply. So, she was driving it around town a few weeks later and pulled into a parking lot. As she was traveling from one end to another, someone didn't see her and pulled out of one of the aisles, running their bumper right into the gigantic gaping hole left behind from the previous offender. Obviously, having not seen her prior to the impact, they jumped to conclusions and thought they were responsible for that massive amount of damage from such a low-speed collision! You should have seen the look of relief on their faces when we told them not to worry about it. :)

tiburonsita
October 29th, 2009, 06:16 AM
That really sucks but unless the damage is significant and will cost more than the bike to fix, I wouldn't claim it on insurance. First, your premium will go up just for claiming on it. Second, depending on the company and what their practices are, they could decide to drop you if they think you'll be claiming on insurance a lot.

smcbride11
October 29th, 2009, 07:24 AM

Mine was knocked over in my office parking lot... Luckily I work with the guy so he copped to it. I have no doubt that if it was a stranger they'd have driven away and left me with the $500 parts bill.

My experience (both in SoCal and here in New England) is that leaving a note when hitting another car while parking is definitely the exception rather than the rule. Get a quote first, but if it's just turn signal and mirror that are broken that'll cost you $100ish and take about 20 minutes to fix yourself. If the price is more significant, I'd call your insurance, give them the name and number provided to you, and let them track the guy down. They'll probably pay you (minus your deductible) immediately and then reimburse the deductible if they can track the guy down. Yeah, it sucks to stick it all on the first guy, but the reality is that the bulk of the cost comes from the first guy's damage as the second guy probably just scuffed up broken parts... and it really shouldn't be on you because you didn't do anything to cause it.

marsha
October 29th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Sorry to hear this happened to you, not to mention 2 times in one afternoon, unbelievable!

revstriker
October 29th, 2009, 07:33 AM
That really sucks but unless the damage is significant and will cost more than the bike to fix, I wouldn't claim it on insurance. First, your premium will go up just for claiming on it. Second, depending on the company and what their practices are, they could decide to drop you if they think you'll be claiming on insurance a lot.Wow, so you're paying for something that you have no intention of using, even if you need it? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

rockNroll
October 29th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Bastages!

tonybhall
October 29th, 2009, 08:28 AM

If you have full coverage then your insurance will cover the damages minus your deductible. They'll go after the guy that hit you and try to get it back if they can find him. But, like someone said before, if it's going to cost less than your deductible to fix, just do it yourself. Filing a claim won't do you any good and might cause your rates to go up.

My mother was parked in the insurance office's parking lot (Allstate) and came out to find that the passenger-side wheel well and surrounding body of her Toyota Celica wash ripped apart with the responsible party nowhere to be seen. It had to be a large truck of some kind to have inflicted so much damage without hurting their own ability to drive off. All State wouldn't cover it simply because she wasn't in the car when it happened and so there was no "covered" driver. :mad:

Um... that doesn't sound right. I've never heard anything like that before. I think you mom's insurance pulled a fast one on her or she misunderstood. If that's what really happened, she should get a lawyer.

smcbride11
October 29th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I'm going to report this to the police tomorrow.

Get a repair quote and call your insurance first. They likely don't need a police report, and I wouldn't inconvenience yourself and the police if it's not necessary - the police can't and won't do anything about it.

CZroe
October 29th, 2009, 09:06 AM
If you have full coverage then your insurance will cover the damages minus your deductible. They'll go after the guy that hit you and try to get it back if they can find him. But, like someone said before, if it's going to cost less than your deductible to fix, just do it yourself. Filing a claim won't do you any good and might cause your rates to go up.

Um... that doesn't sound right. I've never heard anything like that before. I think you mom's insurance pulled a fast one on her or she misunderstood. If that's what really happened, she should get a lawyer.

Oh, she was angry. I was too young to know the details of her coverage at the time (this was an '80s Celica wrecked in the '90s). I know that "uninsured motorist" is usually needed for such things and I don't know if she had it but whatever she had I know that she expected it to cover this and was dumbfounded when they refused... she was angry enough to consider driving around with a magnetic sign that says "Allstate wouldn't pay!" and explain what it meant to anyone who asks.

CZroe
October 29th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Get a repair quote and call your insurance first. They likely don't need a police report, and I wouldn't inconvenience yourself and the police if it's not necessary - the police can't and won't do anything about it.

They can request security footage.

Snake
October 29th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Sorry about your bike being hit. That is one of my biggest fears when I park my bike.

tonybhall
October 29th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Oh, she was angry. I was too young to know the details of her coverage at the time (this was an '80s Celica wrecked in the '90s). I know that "uninsured motorist" is usually needed for such things and I don't know if she had it but whatever she had I know that she expected it to cover this and was dumbfounded when they refused... she was angry enough to consider driving around with a magnetic sign that says "Allstate wouldn't pay!" and explain what it meant to anyone who asks.

Hmmm. Things may be different in your state. But here, if you have full coverage, which is collision and comprehensive, then a hit and run is covered under the collision portion of your insurance after a deductible. But yeah, that sucks that they wouldn't cover it. It's like people that lose their house during a Hurricane that are told they aren't covered because their house was destroyed by the storm surge which is considered flood damage and the don't have flood insurance. There was a lot of that in N.O. after Katrina.

CZroe
October 29th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Hmmm. Things may be different in your state. But here, if you have full coverage, which is collision and comprehensive, then a hit and run is covered under the collision portion of your insurance after a deductible. But yeah, that sucks that they wouldn't cover it. It's like people that lose their house during a Hurricane that are told they aren't covered because their house was destroyed by the storm surge which is considered flood damage and the don't have flood insurance. There was a lot of that in N.O. after Katrina.

I doubt she had full coverage because it was an older car, but she must have had some policy that she expected to pay. She very well may not have had a case against the insurance company but she said hat the technicality was that she wasn't in the car, thus, it had no insured driver to cover in the collision. Well, it had no UNINSURED driver either! :rolleyes: Uninsured motorist is supposed to cover you when the OTHER driver doesn't have insurance.

tonybhall
October 29th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I doubt she had full coverage because it was an older car, but she must have had some policy that she expected to pay. She very well may not have had a case against the insurance company but she said hat the technicality was that she wasn't in the car, thus, it had no insured driver to cover in the collision. Well, it had no UNINSURED driver either! :rolleyes: Uninsured motorist is supposed to cover you when the OTHER driver doesn't have insurance.

ah. I see. So she probably just had liability coverage which doesn't cover damage to your car. A lot of people only carry liability on older cars. That makes more sense then.

Immortalhippo
October 29th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Now that I'm coming up on my 4th year as an insurance agent I can tell you there are plenty of crooked insurance companies out there. A police report can only help but it's no guarantee they will cover the bike. Through my experiences the two worst companies I've delt with are Allstate and Nationwide. Now normally if you are the insured with these companies and get in an accident they will usually pay, but if some one else hits you or is at fault and has one of those two companies the adjuster will try any way possible to find you even slightly at fault and turn down your claim. Example: My 18 year old sister was on her way to school in her Mercedes ML320 SUV when a old guy in a POS pickup with a hand built steel trailer pulled right out in front of her. She ran into the side of his trailer and her airbags went off totaling her Mercedes. State Trooper showed up and gave the old guy a ticket for failure to yield and showed him at fault on the accident report. He had Nationwide so we filed a claim with them and waited for the adjuster. The adjuster gave us a call a few days later and wanted to see the scene of the accident. We took her out there and when she couldn't find any tire marks from where my sister should have slammed on brakes she stated it was enough evidence to show her partially at fault and thus turned the claim down...Here's the kicker! My sis was in a 2002 Mercedes with functioning ABS! There should never have been any tire marks when she slammed on the brakes! The adjuster was full of ****! We ended up having to have our insurance pay for the Mercedes but neglected to get GAP coverage which will make sure if the vehicle is a total loss and you owe more than it's worth they will pay the full amount still owed. Now were out over 4 grand and it doesn't look like our company is going to subrogate. Long story short keep a camera in your car at all times and MAKE SURE TO CHECK YOUR POLICY AND CONFIRM YOU HAVE THE COVERAGES YOU NEED!

Immortalhippo
October 29th, 2009, 11:19 AM

Very good point but what quite a few people don't realize about Uninsured and Under insured coverage is that if the accident is a hit and run how are you supposed to know if the person had insurance in the first place...As much as it sucks you have to get a plate number if you're ever in a hit and run otherwise the company will more than likely turn down the claim.

tonybhall
October 29th, 2009, 11:29 AM
...Now were out over 4 grand and it doesn't look like our company is going to subrogate.

Wow. That sucks. But I'd be more upset with your insurance than the other drivers. Sure it was wrong of them to deny your claim. But they do it because they think they can get away with it. Their job is to look out for their best interest. It was your insurance companies job to look out for yours and by not subrogating, they basically left you out to dry. I would have switched carriers at that point and sued the other ladies insurance company for the difference.

Immortalhippo
October 29th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Wow. That sucks. But I'd be more upset with your insurance than the other drivers. Sure it was wrong of them to deny your claim. But they do it because they think they can get away with it. Their job is to look out for their best interest. It was your insurance companies job to look out for yours and by not subrogating, they basically left you out to dry. I would have switched carriers at that point and sued the other ladies insurance company for the difference.

I agree with everything you said except suing them. Got any idea how much money these big insurance companies have to throw at top lawyers to take there cases. It would be a big waste of time and money. That's coming from my Brother in law who owns his own law office.

inbox526
October 29th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Did the 1st guy stand it up (for the 2nd to hit)? If so, go CSI on his ass and dust for prints/ DNA!

Yea actually, they BOTH stood the bike back up.

The damage includes a cracked front fairing, but I think all in all, its cosmetic damage all around.

New developments: Had another look at the note he wrote me, it was written on a google maps directions search with 2 addresses on it, dated to october 26th, 3 days ago.

Also, there was a UCLA guard in front of the UCLA Extension center right in front of where I parked. Like, my bike was parked across the sidewalk where the guard should have been standing the whole time. I have the information of the employee who told me what happened, I think I will get in touch with him to get the guard's number and ask him for as much vehicle description as possible. Maybe even a plate or partial plate number!

CZroe
October 29th, 2009, 11:31 PM
I'm guessing that the second guy saw the first guy's note when he was standing it up and thought he'd let the first guy take the fall entirely.

Momaru
October 30th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Yeowch Matt, that hurts a lot. Sounds like a much worse version of the drunkard that knocked over my bike one night into the curb/grass and stood it back up, mud & all, but no note. Good luck finding them though!

kkim
October 30th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Have a talk with your insurance. It should be covered under your comprehensive portion. Your rates should not go up due to a comprehensive claim. You might need to pay the deductible (how much is it?), but if the total damage is more than your deductible, I'd claim it.

Also, your insurance company will also pay your deductible if they can find the other driver(s) and go after their insurance for the damage to the bike.

Like it was mentioned earlier, use the the insurance you pay for and make sure they earn the premiums you pay for situations exactly like this. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches in the long run.

BlueRaven
October 30th, 2009, 05:21 PM
wow talk about bad luck. i would never park there again. i would be scared to claim anything to the insurance even if i am covered for the fear that they would raise my premiums.

TrueFaith
October 31st, 2009, 08:53 AM
This happens too often and it's too easy to get away with. I just read in the morning paper about a car being sideswiped by a hit and run SUV on the Mass Turnpike. If they don't even stop for accidents that happen on the road they're sure not going to give a damn about a motorcycle. If I'm going to be away from the bike for any amount of time I never put it where any vehicle could concievably back into it, because they will. I'd rather park it on the sidewalk and risk a ticket than come back and find my fairing shattered.