View Full Version : do we protect our own?

DEXSPEED
October 31st, 2009, 09:16 AM
i have been hearing and reading that one of the dangers in riding is car drivers don't see motorcycles or they dont look for them.when motorcyclist drive their cars do you/they automatically look for motorcycles? or you /they fall into the car mentality?personally when i drive my car i find myself protecting motorcycle riders, if there is a motocycle in front of me i make sure there's always good enough space between us unlike other car drivers who likes to ride your a@$!:eek:what do you do/practice when you drive your cars?:car:

Snake
October 31st, 2009, 09:32 AM
I tend to be more aware of motorcyclists when I am driving in the cage. I try to put myself in their place and give them the respect and consideration I would excpect if I was riding my bike.

Daeldren
October 31st, 2009, 09:34 AM
I always watch out for other motorcycles, where they are around me, and give them plenty of space when I am in my truck.

headshrink
October 31st, 2009, 10:43 AM
Heck yeah I watch out for them!

The funny thing is I used to actually be afraid of motorcycles when driving, before I had one myself. If near one on the freeway I would switch lanes to get out of their way, back wayyyyyyyyyy of, etc. Basically I was afraid s/he may fall and I would run right over him/her.

Of course now I have a different understanding of motorcycles, and understand that a) they usually prefer you to stay put, rather than switching lanes, and b) they aren't likely to spontaneously fall on the freeway, but if they do it is good to keep adequate distance between you. Sometimes, if the bike isn't moving through traffic, I will get behind the motorcycle keep others from tailgating it (there are always those idiots that will still try to squeeze in there).

I think that I am not really consciously looking for motorcycles, but rather notice them way easier, actually easier than if I never rode but consciously looked. For me it is like when you get a certain color and model car, and all of a sudden you notice all the other people who have your car..... same principle. Since I now ride, and am interested in motorcycles, I have a motorcycle radar. I could probably drive blind and not hit a bike (I may hit other cars though) :D

Of course I don't get the chance to drive much/have to drive, since my wife has the only car.

danknation
October 31st, 2009, 11:01 AM
Heck yeah I watch out for them!

The funny thing is I used to actually be afraid of motorcycles when driving, before I had one myself. If near one on the freeway I would switch lanes to get out of their way, back wayyyyyyyyyy of, etc. Basically I was afraid s/he may fall and I would run right over him/her.

Of course now I have a different understanding of motorcycles, and understand that a) they usually prefer you to stay put, rather than switching lanes, and b) they aren't likely to spontaneously fall on the freeway, but if they do it is good to keep adequate distance between you. Sometimes, if the bike isn't moving through traffic, I will get behind the motorcycle keep others from tailgating it (there are always those idiots that will still try to squeeze in there).

I think that I am not really consciously looking for motorcycles, but rather notice them way easier, actually easier than if I never rode but consciously looked. For me it is like when you get a certain color and model car, and all of a sudden you notice all the other people who have your car..... same principle. Since I now ride, and am interested in motorcycles, I have a motorcycle radar. I could probably drive blind and not hit a bike (I may hit other cars though) :D

Of course I don't get the chance to drive much/have to drive, since my wife has the only car.

^ Makes sense.

I'm sure this has happened to you guys a few times before. I always make sure to flip up my visor and wave or make eye contact when this happens so they know we appreciate it. I've noticed a few times(less than the majority) that I will turn around while at a light and the guy behind me is a full carlength back. It is such a nice feeling to know there isn't an idiot right behind you ready to roll you over at the slightest mistake. These are the better motorists so I like to make sure their efforts don't go unnoticed.

On the flip of that, I cannot stand the jackoffs that tailgate me coming away from a light/in residential areas. Just because I am on a crotch rocket does not mean I always do 20 over the limit. Some of us took the MSF and ride things besides GXSR, I don't ride like an ass. I realize that your husband/wife/mother makes 6 or 7 figures a year and thus you have no comprehension of the value of a dollar, but I work for a living and I do. I cannot afford 55 in a 35 just because you have to get little Jimmy son of a bitch to soccer practice. These people are all over my area and I sware they're out to get me! :eek:

headshrink
October 31st, 2009, 11:25 AM
^ Makes sense.

I'm sure this has happened to you guys a few times before. I always make sure to flip up my visor and wave or make eye contact when this happens so they know we appreciate it. I've noticed a few times(less than the majority) that I will turn around while at a light and the guy behind me is a full carlength back. It is such a nice feeling to know there isn't an idiot right behind you ready to roll you over at the slightest mistake. These are the better motorists so I like to make sure their efforts don't go unnoticed.

On the flip of that, I cannot stand the jackoffs that tailgate me coming away from a light/in residential areas. Just because I am on a crotch rocket does not mean I always do 20 over the limit. Some of us took the MSF and ride things besides GXSR, I don't ride like an ass. I realize that your husband/wife/mother makes 6 or 7 figures a year and thus you have no comprehension of the value of a dollar, but I work for a living and I do. I cannot afford 55 in a 35 just because you have to get little Jimmy son of a bitch to soccer practice. These people are all over my area and I sware they're out to get me! :eek:

Really? I have been to Denton a couple times, and my impression was that it isn't a 6 or 7 figure town.... quite the opposite actually. I was visiting a friend at UNT, several years ago. Am I wrong about my assessment of Denton?

danknation
October 31st, 2009, 12:05 PM
Really? I have been to Denton a couple times, and my impression was that it isn't a 6 or 7 figure town.... quite the opposite actually. I was visiting a friend at UNT, several years ago. Am I wrong about my assessment of Denton?

The Campus and the northern part of Denton is all older/long term residents. The southern part of Denton has been developed quite a bit in the past few years. There are now higher level income developments from 35/Teasley all the way south until you get to Argyle. Let me grab a google map of the area. My dad actually builds custom homes as a means of secondary income and was able to sell his previous 1 story, 4 bedroom for 330ish on a 1/2 acre.

The part circled in red is all pretty much a well to do area.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4778&stc=1&d=1257015906

headshrink
October 31st, 2009, 12:21 PM
Go figure... I guess times do change. I was there before the housing boom, and I know a lot of people fled to TX then.

CZroe
October 31st, 2009, 02:23 PM
SoCal has a TON more motorcyclists than most places and the car-driving population certainly seems more aware. Having a car run you out of your lane was a weekly occurance in GA and ii hasn't happened to me once in a year's time here in CA.

noche_caliente
October 31st, 2009, 06:00 PM
I've always looked out for riders because of my dad, and like others try to stay behind them if it's possible to keep other jerks from tailgating them - my hubby is now the same way, I don't even have to ask him to get behind them anymore :)

OldGuy
October 31st, 2009, 08:31 PM
I tend to be more aware of motorcyclists when I am driving in the cage. I try to put myself in their place and give them the respect and consideration I would excpect if I was riding my bike.

It's interesting how being on two wheels changes your perspective in a lot a ways including your cage time.

backinthesaddleagain
October 31st, 2009, 08:40 PM
i always watch out for motorcycles and bicycles.

addy126
October 31st, 2009, 08:57 PM
I check my blindspots for that bike that may be sitting there, I will let them by without a problem, I will not cut into a lane that has a bike approaching, I will stay behind a bike sometimes backing off the nitwit approachin from behind to ensure a buffer, I warn my passengers of an approaching lanesplitter on Central, 635 and other freeways so they are not surprised and allow for more room for that lanesplitter to slide by.... rather he go through without impeding than end up eating pavement from the other side of the lanesplit who doesn't see him looming from behind. Riding makes one more aware of blindspot conditions, buffer zones on the lanes, etc. As long as they make it thru... all is good. :thumbup:

backinthesaddleagain
October 31st, 2009, 09:10 PM
I also stress to my 17 yr old daughter to always keep an extra eye out for motorcycles and bicycles. And no matter how good of an eye I keep out for bikes, every so often I make a lane change and see the bike just after I make it. Whatever the reason I always feel guilty about it, but lets face it we are low visibility vehicles, so when on the bike drive defensively and when in the car keep looking for those 2 wheelers.

CrzyFstMnM
October 31st, 2009, 11:05 PM
what ive noticed is that after riding motorcycle for almost a year now, when I drive a car, I feel more aware. Just like when Im riding I'm always looking around checking everything, planning ahead. ever since i did get a motorcycle i definitely notice other motorcycles easier. when driving a car close to a motorcycle i always drive in a way that I would want another car to drive with me when im on a motorcycle. i guess thats why its good. i almost feel like everyone should experience motorcycle riding with cars, that way they become more aware and understand the dangers they can put us in when not watching carefully

Sailariel
November 1st, 2009, 01:44 PM
When I visit So. California--Orange County, I find that the drivers in cars are competent and courteous. My son and his wife both ride bicycles and the motorists give them room and a friendly wave. Some really good people there.

Speed Racer
November 1st, 2009, 02:22 PM
When I visit So. California--Orange County, I find that the drivers in cars are competent and courteous. My son and his wife both ride bicycles and the motorists give them room and a friendly wave. Some really good people there.

I believe that's because splitting lanes is legal in California. So, motorists are conditioned to look out for motorcyclists though not always.
Posted via Mobile Device

paterick4o8
November 1st, 2009, 07:50 PM
out here I do look out for riders, especially for splitters when in the cage & in traffic. do as to them as we would like cagers to do to us.. LOOK and give room! :D

I also look when I see squids and think to myself :squid:, :rolleyes:

mike_sema
November 1st, 2009, 09:43 PM
:whathesaid:

welcome2thedawn
November 1st, 2009, 10:57 PM
what ive noticed is that after riding motorcycle for almost a year now, when I drive a car, I feel more aware. Just like when Im riding I'm always looking around checking everything, planning ahead. ever since i did get a motorcycle i definitely notice other motorcycles easier. when driving a car close to a motorcycle i always drive in a way that I would want another car to drive with me when im on a motorcycle. i guess thats why its good. i almost feel like everyone should experience motorcycle riding with cars, that way they become more aware and understand the dangers they can put us in when not watching carefully

for sure......yeah riding has definatly made me a much better driver...i think driving is really mindless for a lot of people...i hate to admit that i used to be one of those people...riding makes you realize how much you have to watch out for and we should all watch out for each other...a few weeks ago i was driving down the freeway in the beginning of rush hour traffic and a couple guys roll up (cbr 1000 and gsx-r) with girls on the back, doing about 85...helmets but not much else...guys had jackets, but the girls were just in flimsy shoes and hoodies...weaving between cars, cutting people off, and riding waaayyy too close to anyone in front of them....of course traffic builds up and everyone starts breaking...the one in front hit the breaks and not having enough space, swerved to the side between lanes barely missing the car in front of him...it was really scary to watch...of course the cars behind them were on thier ass, cause heaven forbid you stay back a few feet and get home 2 seconds later....point being, i was in the lane next to them and i kept a big gap open in front of me so at lease they would have somewhere to go if they needed it...i agree that everyone should have to take the msf class and everyone who rides like an idiot should have to watch this video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06KvVvVQ1Mc (graphic, motorcycle runs into the back of a truck, the truck did not break or switch lanes, according to the report)