View Full Version : S. Florida's "one and only" Snake Road

gogoKawi
November 2nd, 2009, 04:12 PM
My last ride as a South Florida resident. Sigh... :(

Let me just say that this site is awesome! Matts250, a fellow forum member, told me about a Sunday ride with a bunch of sport bike riders. We met up with the riders at a gas station not too far from me, but a long ways away from Matt. I felt bad.

The day was beautiful. No clouds. 85 degrees. All of the riders were cool and friendly. In total, there were about 20 riders. All different kinds of motos. There were a lot of Ducatis. I was really surprised by that. By the way, I hate the way they sound when they idle. It sounds like there is a belt loose or something. But it was very cool to see all the different models. It was even better riding with another 250.

The ride was from west Hollywood, up to Clewiston, and back down to Alligator Alley. I didn't clock the mileage. But, I'm guessing around 130 miles or so. What was surprising was the main focus of the ride was on a particular road, aptly named "Snake Road". Supposedly, many riders in the area journey to Clewiston just to ride through the 8 mile twisty road. Since South Florida is short on the twisties, I can somewhat understand their excitement. I have to admit, it was fun. But, it's short, especially when you are travelling at 80+ mph.

I took some pics. I didn't get a picture of me and Matt together or our bikes together. I know, I know. I will remember on the next go round. But, I did catch him and his moto in a couple of pics (see the blue 250). It was great to meet Matt. Overall, excellent ride.

bob706
November 2nd, 2009, 04:33 PM
Twisties and Florida are two words hardly used in the same sentence. I've only been able to find one in the panhandle and it's only four miles long. Cool pics and sounds like a good time had by all. :thumbup:

matts250r
November 2nd, 2009, 06:29 PM
Hey Andre,

Had a great ride this past sunday.:thumbup: I logged 375 miles that day! Wow, I was exhausted lol . Glad ya came out for the ride. it was a blast heading out with 20 or so bikes. first time I ever rode with another 250 and there ya go moving this week. Hope ya have a great move up to D.C. stay in touch buddy ( I'll even chat with ya if ya move up to a 600.lol) talk soon

Snake
November 2nd, 2009, 07:12 PM
Snake Road. With a name like that it has to be a great road.
Great pics.

gogoKawi
November 3rd, 2009, 01:49 AM
Hey Andre,

Had a great ride this past sunday.:thumbup: I logged 375 miles that day! Wow, I was exhausted lol . Glad ya came out for the ride. it was a blast heading out with 20 or so bikes. first time I ever rode with another 250 and there ya go moving this week. Hope ya have a great move up to D.C. stay in touch buddy ( I'll even chat with ya if ya move up to a 600.lol) talk soon

375? Wow!!! I was beat when I got home. I can just imagine how you were feeling.

It was a cool ride. I kind of wish the place was slowed down some to take in the sites. But, I guess that's what we get for riding with the sport bikes. I will really miss this place. You have to hold down the 250 fort!

I meant to tell you when we stopped at the last gas station. I found it hilarious how we had to time our passing of the slower cars. The other bikes just shot by with no problems. When you were in front of me, I could see you calculating when to make your move. That turbo lag does suck... :)

gogoKawi
November 3rd, 2009, 02:03 AM
Snake Road. With a name like that it has to be a great road.
Great pics.

I mapped out the route.
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&encType=1&cid=7AF1E7C485864C63!1118
The last leg is Snake Road.

bluphobic
November 3rd, 2009, 07:16 AM
Andre, if you're ever in Georgia i can show you some roads that'll make you :eek:. Hence the reason why i love living here compared to Weston:(.

Snake
November 3rd, 2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks for posting the map Andre.

Ken
November 4th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Nice to see riders geared up there! I was visiting S. Florida last week and I saw only one rider that wore full gear (helmet, jacket, textile pants, and boots), and he was on a V-Strom heading up I-95 before the Dolphin Expressway. Most riders didn't even have helmets on. :eek:

CC Cowboy
November 5th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Sounds like a FSB group ride. They are a good group and have many members, many rides, and many trackdays. You'd be smart to hang out with this group.

min nin
November 5th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I live in naples fl, 40 mi from snake RD. It's all long slow turns. You would have to go really fast to make it fun.Speed limit is 45.

Also on indian res. I dont know how their cops like ninjas.

I need to go for a ride there soon.:thumbup:

Samer
November 7th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Nice to see riders geared up there! I was visiting S. Florida last week and I saw only one rider that wore full gear (helmet, jacket, textile pants, and boots), and he was on a V-Strom heading up I-95 before the Dolphin Expressway. Most riders didn't even have helmets on. :eek:

Yeah, we get a lot of confused looks when people visit the area because I believe Florida is unique in not requiring people to wear helmets. Although you do need to have medical insurance if you chose not to wear a helmet :p

Wish I could have joined this group ride but I was out of the country. Definitely next time I'll give it a go.

LazinCajun
November 10th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Have any of you tried the Ozello (sp?) Mine roads? I've been trying to find some decent roads near Gainesville for a while with no luck.

CC Cowboy
November 11th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Have any of you tried the Ozello (sp?) Mine roads? I've been trying to find some decent roads near Gainesville for a while with no luck.

Cajun, join daytonasportbikes.com. They aren'y only in Daytona (there are many from the middle of the state (some from Gainsville). There are Ocala rides and rides as far as the west coast. They have a Sugarloaf ride that has hills and great turns.

Also join Floridasportbikers.com. They have many rides and trackdays all over the state.