View Full Version : FS: Grand Seiko SBGA211 "Snowflake"

Panda
September 20th, 2018, 01:01 PM
****SOLD****

I don't know if anyone likes watches but I figured I'd take a shot.

Up for sale is a pre-owned Grand Seiko SBGA211. https://imgur.com/a/gSPEmxQ

https://i.imgur.com/ZBDPVlb.jpg

Case: Titanium
Case Size: 41mm x 12.5mm
Crystal: Sapphire
Movement: Spring Drive 9R65
Power Reserver: 72 Hours
Accuracy: +/-1 second day, +/-15 seconds per month
Includes: Box (inner and outer) and papers.
Purchased: 7/2018
Condition: The watch is 2 months old and shows minor desk diving marks and hairlines. Please review the pictures as these are intended to be part of the description and depict the condition of the watch.
MSRP New: $5,800.00
Price: $4,549.00 + Shipping
Payment: Wire or PayPal FF

If you are not familiar with Grand Seiko, Grand Seiko since 2017 has been a standalone brand and no longer carries Seiko branding on its watches. The first watch they produced was in 1960 and was meant to equal the quality and finishes of watches produced in Switzerland.

The Spring Drive movement is an amazing piece of engineering that uses the mechanical energy from a mainspring and winding rotor and is regulated via a non-mechanical escapement. The non-mechanical escapement provides astonishing accuracy also helps propel the second hand smoothly around the face of the watch.

Hodinkee Article: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/grand-seiko-spring-drive-snowflake-review

SBGA211 Grand Seiko: https://www.grand-seiko.com/global-en/collections/SBGA211G/

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Triple Jim
September 20th, 2018, 01:29 PM
I like watches and that one is cool. I find a calculator watch is more useful for me though. The Casio I have is $18.79 at Walmart. Good luck with the sale though!

Panda
September 20th, 2018, 01:45 PM
I like watches and that one is cool. I find a calculator watch is more useful for me though. The Casio I have is $18.79 at Walmart. Good luck with the sale though!

Thanks! I used to have this when I was younger. I loved this calculator watch.

https://d3h6k4kfl8m9p0.cloudfront.net/stories/SAt6YkpJydZ5g.RRETkLFw.jpg

Racer x
September 20th, 2018, 01:46 PM
That is a beautiful thing. I am a collector and would love that. Just have to keep dreaming

Panda
September 20th, 2018, 01:50 PM
That is a beautiful thing. I am a collector and would love that. Just have to keep dreaming

Thank you! For the price point the level of finishing on Grand Seikos is amazing.

Do you collect modern pieces or vintage pieces?

Triple Jim
September 20th, 2018, 02:17 PM
I like that touch screen Casio. I've had the metal and plastic cased ones, but never knew they made the touch screen version.

Racer x
September 20th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Thank you! For the price point the level of finishing on Grand Seikos is amazing.

Do you collect modern pieces or vintage pieces?

I little of both. I took some watch making classes for a couple years and collected some mid century Swiss watches. Then about five years ago Seiko had the fiftieth anniversary of the Seiko 5. Since then I have had an interest in Seiko.

Panda
September 20th, 2018, 03:03 PM
I little of both. I took some watch making classes for a couple years and collected some mid century Swiss watches. Then about five years ago Seiko had the fiftieth anniversary of the Seiko 5. Since then I have had an interest in Seiko.

I love the Seiko 5. I have a SNK805 which I wear regularly. If I get some free time I'd love to take some watch making classes.

Panda
September 20th, 2018, 03:05 PM
I like that touch screen Casio. I've had the metal and plastic cased ones, but never knew they made the touch screen version.

Yeah I've had the metal and plastic ones from the 80s and 90s. The touch screen was amazing for the time. It had transparent touchpads that were connected to the base of the screen I believe. The problem was that if you scratched the screen you'd break the connection and then that button wouldn't work.

Racer x
September 20th, 2018, 03:19 PM
I love the Seiko 5. I have a SNK805 which I wear regularly. If I get some free time I'd love to take some watch making classes.

Do you have the B dial?
I really like that format.

Panda
September 20th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Do you have the B dial?
I really like that format.

I'm not familiar with the B dial. What is it?

https://i.imgur.com/O7Vlyaq.jpg

Racer x
September 20th, 2018, 05:57 PM
That is the B dial. With 1-12 on the inside ring and 1-60 on the outside. World War Two pilot watch style

Triple Jim
September 20th, 2018, 07:00 PM
Since then I have had an interest in Seiko.

They have a neat clock in Tokyo. I saw it in the 1980s when I was there.

0yQW3ZCG55w

Racer x
September 21st, 2018, 07:31 AM
Seiko is an amazing company and produce amazing products. When you get into high end watches made all over the world. Seiko is one of the very few that make all the parts themselves in house. The Grand Seiko is at the very top of the quality line compared to any watch made.

The price may seem like a lot of money for a watch. But it will not loose much value over time and may even go up in value depending on the condition it stays in.

dcj13
September 21st, 2018, 06:07 PM
Seiko makes great watches... I'll pick up one of their auto-winders one of these days.

In the mean time, I'll be wearing the watch my folks gave me in 1974:

Panda
September 21st, 2018, 11:26 PM
Seiko makes great watches... I'll pick up one of their auto-winders one of these days.

In the mean time, I'll be wearing the watch my folks gave me in 1974:

Very nice speedy. 145.022? Assuming it's all original it looks like it was made in 70-73.

Panda
September 21st, 2018, 11:27 PM
That is the B dial. With 1-12 on the inside ring and 1-60 on the outside. World War Two pilot watch style

Thanks I didn't know that was called a b dial. For 50 bucks I love that watch.

Racer x
September 22nd, 2018, 05:25 AM
The price is right on these seiko watches. I have always liked the smaller size.
I decided to try a larger watch. Just to see if I like it. Plus I wanted something really water proof.
I got this tuna can not long ago. It has unbelievable glowing numbers. And keeps perfect time, better than anything I have ever had before. I like it’s simplicity. No date no complications and no markings on the dial. Just tells time. I think it is made by Orient. That’s Seikos other line . It has a Seiko movement.

Panda
September 22nd, 2018, 11:52 AM
The price is right on these seiko watches. I have always liked the smaller size.
I decided to try a larger watch. Just to see if I like it. Plus I wanted something really water proof.
I got this tuna can not long ago. It has unbelievable glowing numbers. And keeps perfect time, better than anything I have ever had before. I like it’s simplicity. No date no complications and no markings on the dial. Just tells time. I think it is made by Orient. That’s Seikos other line . It has a Seiko movement.

Love it. It's such a classic design. What size is it?

Racer x
September 22nd, 2018, 01:37 PM
It’s 42x14 for me that seems huge. But today’s fashion it is midsize. What I really wanted was 300 m water resistance. And a screw down crown. Sapphire crystal is also good.

How I found it was looking for parts to a NH35 movement. If you eBay NH35 you find a lot of company’s use it. I also have an SNK 809 with that movement. But it has a Sinn dial. What a classic.

Panda
September 26th, 2018, 11:12 AM
It’s 42x14 for me that seems huge. But today’s fashion it is midsize. What I really wanted was 300 m water resistance. And a screw down crown. Sapphire crystal is also good.

How I found it was looking for parts to a NH35 movement. If you eBay NH35 you find a lot of company’s use it. I also have an SNK 809 with that movement. But it has a Sinn dial. What a classic.

Yeah, 42mm is about the upper edge for me. I have a black bay bronze that is 43mm that I'm in the process of selling. The bronze makes it wear a little smaller than 43, but it's still a big watch.

Have you looked into a SKX007? That is an amazing watch for the money. Sub 200 fully ISO certified diver. I love mine and I got one for my brother as well. SKX have hardlex crystals so maybe that rules them out.

I did put a sapphire crystal on mine and my brother's. It makes it look a lot nicer.

Racer x
September 26th, 2018, 07:48 PM
I was just about to buy the 007 when I found the one I have. Same sort of price. My real issue with divers watches is they all look like a Rolex. Nothing wrong with that but not my style. I sort of collect pilots watches.

Panda
September 28th, 2018, 07:56 AM
I was just about to buy the 007 when I found the one I have. Same sort of price. My real issue with divers watches is they all look like a Rolex. Nothing wrong with that but not my style. I sort of collect pilots watches.

I'm also a big fan of the Hamilton pilot style watches.