View Full Version : Why You Went Down

Locksmiff
November 7th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I couldn't help thinking a few things while reading through threads of bike accidents. It was what made you go down. I know I have done things where its put it to the point that things could go wrong.

The one that concerns me though is how people lowside in a corner. I don't understand how a bike comes from under you unless you are really hammering. I have had my bike down that low that when I got to the point of nearly no more tyre it skipped, not slid out but skipped a little in the rear. Is there more to the lowsiding then just to hard in a corner ??

tapdiggy
November 8th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Inexperience and lack of enough confidence will make you go down. I lowsided my bike just a couple weeks after I brought it home. I took a corner and second-guessed my speed. Once I decided in my head that I couldn't stay with it, my defense mechanism kicked in, which is to ditch the bike and roll for it. Once my bruises healed and got some more riding time, I learned where the limits were, the bike's and mine. I also confirmed what my MSF instructor told us: the motorcycle is almost always more capable than the person riding it.

minuslars
November 8th, 2009, 06:02 AM
There are almost always many factors that go into every motorcycle accident. For lowsiding, I would wonder about the temperature of tires, condition of road surface, condition of tires, type of tires, experience of rider, speed, etc.

bob706
November 8th, 2009, 07:27 AM
There are almost always many factors that go into every motorcycle accident. For lowsiding, I would wonder about the temperature of tires, condition of road surface, condition of tires, type of tires, experience of rider, speed, etc.

+1

Racer x
November 8th, 2009, 07:43 AM
My last low side was all my fault. and it was on a 50 cc scooter. (No I did not get my purse caught in the spokes)

I was going down a hill to a green light and turning left. There was no traffic but a car sitting at the light of the cross street.

I wanted to make the light . Mistake 1
So I stayed on the gas and hung off the left side . I applied both brakes while still holding some gas. ( that locks the suspension ) Any how I stuck my knee out to feel for the ground and pulled it over into the turn . Looking so cool . My form was perfect . My approach was perfect . My speed was perfect .Mistake number 2
But Mistake number 3 As I pulled the brakes the bike squatted down some . That reduced my ground clearance . As I leaned into the turn the center stand dug into the pavement. I let go of the brakes Mistake number 4. And the bike shot out from under me . I landed on my elbow pad breaking six ribs . I jumped up still trying to look cool . I got back on and rode home . OUCH that hurt. Plus I had to race at Maxton in two days .That really hurt but I was lucky that is all that happen .

bob706
November 8th, 2009, 07:48 AM
(No I did not get my purse caught in the spokes)

:rotflmao:

empire00
November 8th, 2009, 11:52 AM
deer jumped into me the first time. broken wrist totaled bike 50mph 6 day old bike.

most recently broke collar bone. pro tip dont go to the motocross track attacking everything after a 5+ year break expecting to be as good as you used to be. cased a 35ft uphill double.

but hey chicks dig scars right?

CC Cowboy
November 8th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I couldn't help thinking a few things while reading through threads of bike accidents. It was what made you go down. I know I have done things where its put it to the point that things could go wrong.

The one that concerns me though is how people lowside in a corner. I don't understand how a bike comes from under you unless you are really hammering. I have had my bike down that low that when I got to the point of nearly no more tyre it skipped, not slid out but skipped a little in the rear. Is there more to the lowsiding then just to hard in a corner ??

Too many riders don't believe the bike will take the corner (which 9 times out of 10 it will) and hit the brakes. It doesn't take balls to figure this out, it takes brains.

smcbride11
November 8th, 2009, 04:41 PM
temperature of tires

That's what got me. ~15 mph lowside on a normal 90* right turn. The front tire *very* suddenly lost grip, and there was no sign of any road hazard. It was, however, 35 degrees (F) out and I was turning from a well trod road to a rarely used road.

250Rocket
November 8th, 2009, 10:30 PM
MUD, lots of it. If you want different flavors you can go for gravel or sand. Any debris in turn is a nightmare for riders.

Greg_E
November 9th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Salt on the roads also makes them slippery, that's why I quit riding yesterday when I started to see piles of salt on the pavement and decided that I better quit before it bit me.

Snake
November 9th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Inexperience and lack of enough confidence will make you go down. I lowsided my bike just a couple weeks after I brought it home. I took a corner and second-guessed my speed. Once I decided in my head that I couldn't stay with it, my defense mechanism kicked in, which is to ditch the bike and roll for it. Once my bruises healed and got some more riding time, I learned where the limits were, the bike's and mine. I also confirmed what my MSF instructor told us: the motorcycle is almost always more capable than the person riding it.

You hit the nail on the head.

jcgirl
November 9th, 2009, 10:11 AM
deer jumped into me the first time. broken wrist totaled bike 50mph 6 day old bike.

most recently broke collar bone. pro tip dont go to the motocross track attacking everything after a 5+ year break expecting to be as good as you used to be. cased a 35ft uphill double.

but hey chicks dig scars right?

Yes, Chicks dig scars... depending on the size and location it can only add to the tough boy image...

Unfortunately for us girls... boys don't always appriciate scars on chicks... but I still think they're cool.

:canada:

Greg_E
November 9th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Unfortunately for us girls... boys don't always appriciate scars on chicks... but I still think they're cool.

Got any scars we can see?:drool:

motorcycle_munge
November 9th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I dropped my bike because I couldn't reach the ground. I was inexperienced and stopped on a very steep incline and gave in a good try it took me 3 or 4 times of killing it then I lost control and dropped it. I wasn't injured (thanks to the jacket and helmet). But now I know how to get out of that situation if I can't avoid it.

jcgirl
November 9th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Got any scars we can see?:drool:

Maybe we should start a "show your scars" thread

I'll show you mine if you show me yours...

:crutch:

Greg_E
November 9th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I don't have any so far. Close but always managed to catch it just before the hard parts hit the ground, which is just before the fleshy parts hit the ground too.

patw
November 9th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I don't have an "I went down" story, but I have an "I didn't go down, because I remembered advice from this forum" story:

This summer on one of my group rides (low displacement ride: 125's / 250's), we had a really wide mix of rider skills. We don't have many insane twisties in Ontario, so I guess I wasn't really ready for it when the group ride took us through some, and neither were a few others in the group.

The group was led by an extremely experienced rider (ex-racer) on a Honda CBR125. The CBR has around 13hp and is really no match for our machine in a straight (who'd think we could ever say that? ;), but in the right hands it corners like it's on rails.

We had just finished a series of fairly sharp corners and the front guys (more experienced riders) were a good distance ahead with CBR-guy even further ahead of them. Myself, and a rider on a blue pre-gen have never seen this road before and were pushing to keep up.... that's when we found the blind decreasing radius up-hill right hander. We both had that "oh ****" moment around the same time, when we spotted the opposing lane guard rail coming up much quicker than you'd ever want. We both leaned the bike down as hard as we were comfortable.

I saw blue drift right into the opposing lane and, with his angle and speed, I was sure he was going to hit the rail. I saw my own line looking just like his, and I remembered the veteran riders saying "The bike will do more than you expect, have faith in the bike.". I figured with nothing to lose at this point, the only answer was to stop looking at the damn guardrail, look at my lane and lean further and further, and further...

I painted a perfect line up the hill, around the corner and blue managed to stop short of nailing the guard rail and, thankfully, not get hit by oncoming traffic. He seemed pretty shaken by the experience and I was a bit too, but I was just happy with the end result. It worked, the bike rocks, and does indeed go right down to the hard parts.

I'd like to think I avoided an accident by wasting time on internet forums :)

hybridxx
November 9th, 2009, 10:21 PM
sorry..noob here..dont have a bike..but i read the stories on here all the time..

so people dont think they're gonna make the turn..so they hit the brakes..and thats what causes the low side?

ally99
November 10th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Inexperience and lack of enough confidence will make you go down."

As will too much confidence...road dips that are unexpectedly deep (ie: rider doesn't look through the corner enough to realize the depth of the dip...blush), starting too hot, having a survival reaction at the edge of traction (chopping the throttle, braking, etc).

Samer
November 10th, 2009, 04:29 PM
so people dont think they're gonna make the turn..so they hit the brakes..and thats what causes the low side?

Yes. If you're braking in the turn, then you've done something wrong. The proper procedure is to brake before the turn. Then accelerate through the turn.

One big problem that I think has been said already in this thread in many ways is that many things about motorcycling are counter-intuitive, like counter-steering. Or it can be the opposite of human instinct, like leaning more if you're in trouble in a turn because you came in too fast. The natural tendency would be to hit the brakes and certainly not leaning more.

TrueFaith
November 12th, 2009, 09:12 AM
You don't need to be going fast to lowside in a turn. Unfamiliar roads, a dip in the road, poor line of sight coming into an unexpected 90-degree curve preventing you from looking through the turn, then throw some gravel onto the roadway and all those other things that you can do something about suddenly add up to an accident. I doubt I was going 30mph into the turn, but gravel or road debris have a habit of depositing themselves at the exact spot on the road you need to be clear to maintain control. This time of year you also have to be wary of the wet leaves covering that gravel too. Either one will instantly remove any questions you might have about why people lowside.

Flow
November 12th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Haven't gone down yet, but nearly did a few minutes ago on my way home from IHOP. Someone who thought putting on lipstick was more important than safety pulled out in front of me outside McDonald's. It's just lucky noone was in the oncoming lane. If someone pulls out in front of you, sometimes there's nothing you can do except go down.

CC Cowboy
November 12th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Everytime I see this thread I think it is a "female only" thread telling tales of, well other than motorcycles.

zev42
November 12th, 2009, 04:24 PM
There are a number of things that contributed to my low side:

1.) Gravel and dirt
2.) Panic
3.) Breaking while in the turn
4.) Body position was not right. My body stiffened and my weight was not where it needed to be.
5.) No confidence. When I approached the turn, I thought my speed was too high for the tight turn, and that's where the panic set in.

The aftermath: Every time I go out to ride (long or short), I get overly anxious to where I feel like I'm going to throw up BEFORE I get on the bike. Once I'm on the bike, I feel so afraid I'm going to low side again or I might run into something (rear end someone, child running out into my path, getting t-boned, etc.). My mind overworks itself by thinking of all the bad things that can possibly go wrong on the road, so I end up riding slower than before. I know it's all in my head, but it drives me nuts. I can see why some people give up riding after a fall, but I really really want to get over it and just enjoy riding.

Anyone have the same kind of "crazies" as me?

TrueFaith
November 12th, 2009, 05:00 PM
There are a number of things that contributed to my low side:

1.) Gravel and dirt
2.) Panic
3.) Breaking while in the turn
4.) Body position was not right. My body stiffened and my weight was not where it needed to be.
5.) No confidence. When I approached the turn, I thought my speed was too high for the tight turn, and that's where the panic set in.

The aftermath: Every time I go out to ride (long or short), I get overly anxious to where I feel like I'm going to throw up BEFORE I get on the bike. Once I'm on the bike, I feel so afraid I'm going to low side again or I might run into something (rear end someone, child running out into my path, getting t-boned, etc.). My mind overworks itself by thinking of all the bad things that can possibly go wrong on the road, so I end up riding slower than before. I know it's all in my head, but it drives me nuts. I can see why some people give up riding after a fall, but I really really want to get over it and just enjoy riding.

Anyone have the same kind of "crazies" as me?

If you haven't taken the MSF course yet, sign up for one. If you already have, think about signing up for an advanced rider course. Or just get out in a big parking lot and work on your panic braking skills as much as possible. The more confident you feel about stopping safely in a panic situation, the less spooked you'll be. There will always be sand & gravel and other unexpected emergencies on the roads. The more you improve the odds in your favor by knowing your brakes and what the bike can and cannot do you'll be less inclined to worry so much.

TrueFaith
November 13th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I think you only really get over that feeling after you've gone down by putting as many incident-free miles as possible on the bike. Eventually you see that crashes are the exception and not the rule and you get your confidence back a little more with each ride. The length of time it takes depends on weather you crashed because it was 100% your fault because of a dumb-assed decision you made or if an outside force like sand & gravel was involved. Get out and ride before your doubts have time to root or it will be harder to get yourself back on the bike the longer it takes. I know 2 guys who crashed with different endings. One got right back on the bike and continues to ride and loves it. The other waited too long to ride again after he lowsided and ended up selling his bike. One guess who's happier now. ;)

CC Cowboy
November 13th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I think you only really get over that feeling after you've gone down by putting as many incident-free miles as possible on the bike. Eventually you see that crashes are the exception and not the rule and you get your confidence back a little more with each ride. The length of time it takes depends on weather you crashed because it was 100% your fault because of a dumb-assed decision you made or if an outside force like sand & gravel was involved. Get out and ride before your doubts have time to root or it will be harder to get yourself back on the bike the longer it takes. I know 2 guys who crashed with different endings. One got right back on the bike and continues to ride and loves it. The other waited too long to ride again after he lowsided and ended up selling his bike. One guess who's happier now. ;)

Not directed to you Wayne but as anyone on here knows I feel that anytime you crash it is 100% your fault. If you prepare for every situation you have a pretty good chance of never crashing. I'm not talking about dropping your bike in the driveway, I'm talking about getting hit or hitting something, lowsiding, highsiding, or any other scenario. Riding a motorcycle requires 100% concentration 100% of the time.

Jerry
November 14th, 2009, 02:53 AM
I feel that anytime you crash it is 100% your fault.

:thumbup:

If you prepare for every situation you have a pretty good chance of never crashing. ... getting hit or hitting something, lowsiding, highsiding, or any other scenario.

100% correct on the "pretty good chance" part too...:thumbup:

Riding a motorcycle requires 100% concentration 100% of the time.

That's probably why everybody crashes.;)

Zombiphone
November 18th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I went down because of a quick series of dumb beginner mistakes. I was coming up to what's normally a busy intersection to make a left, and there were no cars to be seen coming from the other direction. So, I'm just like "LUCKY! I won't have to wait at all to make my turn!" But of course, in my overconfidence, I find out mid left turn that there's a pedestrian crossing the street who's timing is lining up quite destructively with my path of travel. So I manage to swerve and not hit him, but after that, I'm so shaken and panicked that all I can think about is "I hope I don't hit that curb!"

Fortunately, I wasn't going fast, and I got thrown onto a patch of grass, so I left with just a scarpe on my knee, but that left my shaken for a good month.

On a side note though, the pedestrian was a real dick about it. I'm all panicked trying to get my bike back up and out of traffic, and he just walks by with a "Thanks for not hitting me." and a smirk. I know I was in the wrong, but still >_<

rockNroll
November 18th, 2009, 10:28 AM
First time I went down, a lady in a Subaru pulled out of a drive way in front of me. Second time I went down it was raining pretty hard and I was on an off ramp that changed from black top to concrete with large smooth stones in it right near the stop at the end of the ramp, which also turned to the right. When My front tire hit the wet stones it locked up and over I went. That was a real :o moment! Third time, a deer fell from the sky and landed across my front arms and in my lap, which knocked me over. The road was cut into a hill and so the left side was a steep drop off, the right side went upward pretty steep. The deer jumped from like 10-12 feet above the road and came down on me.

Most of the time when someone goes off in a corner where we ride it's either the rear started to slide and so they chopped off the throttle, which spits them off, or they think they were carrying too much corner speed and so they grab some brake.

revstriker
November 18th, 2009, 11:45 AM
On a low side, anything that will make that back wheel lose traction can cause you to go down. Obviously, any kind of debris, water, ice, sand, etc. Then of course, there is always breaking while cornering. This causes the weight of the bike to shift forward which means less weight on that back tire.

DRivero
November 18th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Once I'm on the bike, I feel so afraid I'm going to low side again or I might run into something (rear end someone, child running out into my path, getting t-boned, etc.). My mind overworks itself by thinking of all the bad things that can possibly go wrong on the road, so I end up riding slower than before. I know it's all in my head, but it drives me nuts. I can see why some people give up riding after a fall, but I really really want to get over it and just enjoy riding.

The BF and I low-sided at low speed while riding two-up one afternoon, due to unseen gravel in the median during a left. Neither of us was really hurt, but man, that feeling stayed in my head! Every time we got on the bike, I swear I could feel it leaving out from under us again, like a phantom low-side playing out in my mind. It affected my passengering, and still does a little. Sometimes when we're coming up on a curve and I'm on the back of his ride, I just close my eyes back there so I can flow with the bike. Otherwise I tend to stiffen up, and that's bad.

Shortly after I got my Ninja, I dropped it entering my driveway. THAT feeling stayed with me and still hasn't completely left, but I'm practicing just about every night. I'm proud to say that I'm now cornering at greater than 8mph!:D

RaceBikeRentals
November 19th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I went down because some twit who writes for Sport Rider mag decided to ass-pack me at 70MPH in Turn 3. Nothing much I could do about it... I had just passed him and I guess he was a little upset. That's racing :)

Flashmonkey
November 20th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Yes. If you're braking in the turn, then you've done something wrong. The proper procedure is to brake before the turn. Then accelerate through the turn.

That's pretty much it right there. I haven't low sided or high sided yet (and hopefully I never do on the public roads), but I had one incident where the bike became unstable mid-turn because I wasn't rolling on the throttle. It was a 90 degree right hand turn that kind of sweeps out a little bit at the end, so you can take it at a fairly good clip. I usually take this turn a little more aggressively than your typical, run of the mill right handers. Nothing insane mind you, just a little more "spirited".

So I brake, enter the turn, and hold the throttle steady (not rolling on, not rolling off). All of a sudden I feel the bike "dip" down as if it were about to fall on its side. The next half second is a little fuzzy, but afterwards, I managed to roll on the throttle and got the hell out of there. It took me a while to figure out what I did wrong, but my running theory right now is that by not rolling on the throttle through the turn, I allowed the bike to slow down too much making it unstable. Keith Code talks about this quite thoroughly in Twist II.

In any case, the overall lesson with turns is that you must commit....which can be counter intuitive to say the least. Chop the speed of the bike and get all your braking done before the turn, but once you initiate that turn, its all lean and throttle. If you have to apply trail braking on the street, you're definitely asking for it IMO. Oh and don't forget to look....unless you're Rossi or something.

eddiekay
November 21st, 2009, 10:31 AM
CCCowboy's reply was right on.
Bikes can lean a lot more than we know, unfortunately...it's takes a bit of balls to find out how far they can. Look at any kneedragger...they're still within the tires limits.
I high sided right thru a wooden fence on my FZ6, ( see mom, I can fly) replaced $400 in plastic because I didn't trust my tires to stick.

austexjg
November 25th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Almost went down today - tried to out run some traffic - entered a right hand corner with too much speed - going about 50 in a 35 - car decides to change lanes as I am approaching, kind of blind around the turn, had to quickly lean upright and brake, couldn't make the turn without laying it down, decided that going over the median into oncoming traffic was the best "out" - luckily the curb was at a 70 degree angle and not as tall as normal - countless repaves - bike handled the decision with grace. Gained control and then headed back between the median and returned to my lane.
Everytime I think about pulling a "squiddish" move - reality pulls me back, usually with a fearful grin. My bother was behind me and could not believe what he saw - talk about a "save". The rubber nubs on the left side of the rear tire (only 2000 miles) were missing - the only effects of the move.
It is amazing how quickly you can make decisions while remaining calm.