View Full Version : Utah is the second state to allow motorcycles to filter in traffic

CaliGrrl
March 25th, 2019, 03:56 PM
Utah legalized filtering on roads of more than two lanes, with a speed limit lower than 45mph, if traffic is entirely stopped and the bike is going no more than 15mph.

It's progress!

Ralgha
March 25th, 2019, 05:04 PM
Good for them!

There's a bill in Oregon's Joint Committee on Transportation to legalize it. It's being held up by a single Representative that believes the mountain of crap spewed by Oregon Department of Transportation and the Portland Police. Maybe she's in somebody's pocket, I'm not sure, can't find any real info on her. If we can get past her, it'll probably pass, it has wide bipartisan support aside from her.

Personally, I think she should be recalled and thrown in jail for undermining our system of government. It's probably a good thing that I'm not king.

CaliGrrl
March 25th, 2019, 06:58 PM
As a lane-splitter, I think more states would do well to legalize it. Helps ease traffic, keeps bikes safer. Especially in cities with a lot of congestion.

I hope you get it legalized in Oregon.

Cafe Racer
March 26th, 2019, 04:44 AM
I have seen the YouTube videos regarding lane splitting in CA. The high speed lane splitting is totally insane. Slow speed filtering makes sense, but the crap in CA is off the chart as far as safety goes. Some idiots get all pissed off when someone legally changes lanes. Punching mirrors, kicking cars and generally being ignorant arrogant a-holes.
Sorry, but that’s my opinion.

CaliGrrl
March 26th, 2019, 09:54 PM
Yeah, some riders take it too far. Overall, most of us do split in a reasonable manner.

VaFish
March 27th, 2019, 05:08 AM
I wish we could at least filter here. Traffic in DC is the worst. And filtering or lane splitting isn't a simple traffic ticket in VA, it falls under the Reckless Driving statute and is a criminal charge with possible jail time and a $2,500 fine.

We had a bill in our general assembly this year to allow motorcycles to ride on the shoulder of limited access highways to the next exit if traffic was going less than 10 MPH. Idea was that air cooled bikes could at least get off the road. Bill never made it out of committee.

CaliGrrl
March 28th, 2019, 10:21 AM
Dang, that's a harsh penalty. I wish more states would allow filtering or splitting.

VaFish
March 28th, 2019, 10:47 AM
Dang, that's a harsh penalty. I wish more states would allow filtering or splitting.

That's probably why I don't see very many people lane split here. Last bike I saw do it had California tags on it.

CaliGrrl
March 28th, 2019, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I meet more riders here that split than don't. Most riders do. Trikes, some of the bigger Harleys, those don't, but just about everybody else does. I rode for about 6 months and then I learned to split.

Not without its dangers, my friend just got tapped by a pickup truck yesterday splitting, but overall, it's a good system. Still safer in stop-and-crawl traffic, which we get a lot of.

VaFish
March 29th, 2019, 05:55 AM
Yeah, I meet more riders here that split than don't. Most riders do. Trikes, some of the bigger Harleys, those don't, but just about everybody else does. I rode for about 6 months and then I learned to split.

Not without its dangers, my friend just got tapped by a pickup truck yesterday splitting, but overall, it's a good system. Still safer in stop-and-crawl traffic, which we get a lot of.

Yeah we had a huge accident on our Beltway last night, fuel tanker truck over turned, traffic in the whole DC area was a mess. Nothing like being stuck in stop and crawl traffic and hearing the screech of tires behind you from some inattentive driver.

In DC and Maryland Lane Splitting is a simple traffic violation, it's not uncommon to see bikes split lanes there. Right now is Cherry Blossom season, try to go downtown DC near the monuments and it's total gridlock. Lane Splitting and Filtering on a bike is the only way to get through.

CaliGrrl
March 29th, 2019, 07:09 PM
That's awful. Traffic sucks.

Lost_Ronin
April 2nd, 2019, 05:58 AM
Do you have a link to this info?

I live in utah but didn't hear anything about this. Luckily for me I commute at 6:00 in the morning so not too much traffic for me.

Lost_Ronin
April 2nd, 2019, 06:04 AM
I found some info. Thank you for posting this as I had no idea. I hate the news so I don't watch tv or listen to the radio lol.

Here are the actual rules and they go in effect May 14th.

*Motorcyclists can move to the front of a traffic light on roads where the speed limit is 45 mph or less and has two or more adjacent traffic lanes in the same direction of travel.

*Motorcyclists can only move to the front when vehicles are stopped.

*Motorcyclists can’t move more than 15 mph when filtering lanes.

CaliGrrl
April 2nd, 2019, 03:36 PM
Yes, it's limited. Maybe in a couple of years, when people get used to it, you can loosen the rules.

choneofakind
April 2nd, 2019, 08:03 PM
When I was in CA and riding with Rojo, we split. It felt weird at first, but was very natural and was a complete non-issue before too long. I definitely think splitting shouldn't be the taboo thing it is everywhere else.

Seriously though, NC drivers are some of the worst I've dealt with, seeing lane splitting motorcyclists literally might overwhelm what's left of their brain function.

CaliGrrl
April 3rd, 2019, 09:53 AM
When traffic slows down, I definitely split.

Lost_Ronin
April 3rd, 2019, 10:39 AM
To me, the greatest benefit from this law change, is that I will have the ability to greatly reduce getting rear ended. Which on my motorcycle/bicycles is my biggest fear by far. I agree that it is a step in the right direction.

CaliGrrl
April 3rd, 2019, 10:48 AM
Yep. The CHP here concluded riders were safer in stop-and-crawl traffic when we split than when we stay in the lanes.