View Full Version : 2004 ninja 250 newbie hard to start

Ponr
March 27th, 2019, 06:29 AM
Hey guys newbie here. I have a bike there’s hard to start. If I choke it all the way it won’t start. If I go close to half way on choke and give it a little throttle it starts. Once it warmed up sometimes I have to give a little throttle for it to start.

It isles around 1500 when started. I’ve clean the carbs, put new plugs. But at a lost.

Thanks

dodgerdad
March 27th, 2019, 06:49 AM
Did you properly re-install the spring, washer and gasket in he air mixture holes before installing the scew? Did you set both mixture screws to 2.5 turns out?

Ponr
March 27th, 2019, 06:52 AM
I installed the o-ring, washer, spring in that order with oring at the top. If I turn the screws out at 2.5 the plugs are black I guess for running rich.

ducatiman
March 27th, 2019, 08:04 AM
provided your carb work was successful...other tuning factors to consider as well...spark at plugs, valve clearances, air filter....blah blah

"its all gotta work together like an orchestra".

Ponr
March 27th, 2019, 10:01 AM
provided your carb work was successful...other tuning factors to consider as well...spark at plugs, valve clearances, air filter....blah blah

"its all gotta work together like an orchestra".
Before it wouldn’t run without the choke. I had a plugged jet so cleaned I didn’t want to soak the whole thing as I was afraid of the plastic fuel line. It was removal so I just clean all the passages with a Cooper wire and compressed air.

I have good spark and new plugs.

Valves were with specs.

New air filter.

ducatiman
March 27th, 2019, 10:43 AM
Before it wouldn’t run without the choke. I had a plugged jet so cleaned I didn’t want to soak the whole thing as I was afraid of the plastic fuel line. It was removal so I just clean all the passages with a Cooper wire and compressed air.

I have good spark and new plugs.

Valves were with specs.

New air filter.

spark ok? yes?
valves ok? yes?
air filter ok? yes?

Then your carb work is suspect.

Z1R rider
March 27th, 2019, 11:11 AM
sounds like it's rich starting and warmed idling, is the fuel level in the float bowls set to the proper level? (maybe too high)

Triple Jim
March 27th, 2019, 11:22 AM
sounds like it's rich starting and warmed idling, is the fuel level in the float bowls set to the proper level? (maybe too high)

That's what I was thinking. Also verify that the float valves are sealing.

DannoXYZ
March 27th, 2019, 02:06 PM
And make sure all jets are stock sizes. Someone in past may have installed larger jets to make up for clogged fuel-circuits in carbs instead of doing proper disassembly and cleaning.