View Full Version : Suzuki GZ250

Lost_Ronin
April 2nd, 2019, 06:37 AM
I posted a month ago about my new to me 2006 ex250. I have been commuting on this bike and loving it. But in my search for a motorcycle I had looked at dozens of bike and communicated with even more sellers. While I settled on the ninja, and am more than happy with my decision, I had one of the previous sellers contact me a few days ago asking if I was still interested in his bike. I had deleted all my texts and asked him to refresh my memory. He had a 2001 Suzuki GZ250 without a title and no keys. The bike hadn't been run or registered since 2009. I vaguely remembered this bike from the 75 or so I had been considering. I informed him that I had already purchased another motorcycle and didn't have the funds. After hours of texting back and forth I added this GZ250 to my stable for a mere $200. I am very happy about this because I originally wanted an air cooled/single cylinder bike for the simplicity. I will now be able to use both and compare the differences.

Lost_Ronin
April 2nd, 2019, 06:45 AM
I have had to spend 6-8 hours on this bike to get it a running/registered state.
New Battery, new spark plug, disassembled/cleaned carb and petcock, cleaned tank, adjusted valves, had to disassemble the micro switch for the front hand brake light (this was much more difficult than it seems lol), and bypass the ignition since the key was MIA.
On its first start in a decade it came to life at the slightest touch of the starter.

CaliGrrl
April 2nd, 2019, 03:37 PM
Nice!

VaFish
April 2nd, 2019, 07:21 PM
Very cool little bike, how much trouble is it getting a title?

Lost_Ronin
April 2nd, 2019, 07:41 PM
i have a bill of sale but with it being older it isn't too much of a hassle. They require a few forms filled out and color pics of the current condition.

Lost_Ronin
April 2nd, 2019, 07:46 PM
I occasionally pick up daughter from school on the bike and take her for short rides. I thought she would like riding passenger on the GZ better than the ninja but I was wrong. So I will leave the ninja as is and probably bobber the GZ as I won't need it to carry a passenger. We will see how far I decide to go with it lol

t-cab12
April 3rd, 2019, 07:57 AM
definitely looking forward to seeing the bob!

Lost_Ronin
April 3rd, 2019, 09:43 AM
So had to get the GZ going in stock form to get it registered and titled, but now that that is done I will begin modifying. I will definately up date as I go. :thumbup:

Lost_Ronin
April 5th, 2019, 12:13 PM
I started modifying but didn't take as many pics as I should have. I decided that I wanted to reuse as many of the stock parts as possible if not all. Keep this project cheap.
I removed the rear fender, blinkers, seat, under seat tool box, etc.
I then cut the frame just behind the first set of holes for the fender as I planned on mounting the turn signals there. I am contemplating using the front fender on the rear as I can fit it pretty snuggly but will need to mount it to the rear swing arm. Havent quite figured that out. Also want to make a seat. Thinking about possibly using an old skateboard deck. Any how I mounted the blinkers in the new location, figured out how to side mount the license plate using the original mount and bolting it where the chain guide was. I also used the stock rear brake light and mounted it on top of the license plate. This also works as a license plate light as it was stock so easy. I don't really like the brake light but it will work for now. Got all the wiring in place and i really only need to make a new seat and figure out the fender mounting.

Lost_Ronin
April 12th, 2019, 06:56 PM
Cut the exhaust down, installed homemade seat temporarily to test it out, still more to do slowly but surely

Lost_Ronin
April 12th, 2019, 06:57 PM
Exhaust side

Lost_Ronin
April 12th, 2019, 06:58 PM
Got a new rear tire that is wider and looking for a new front. Got some exhaust wrap, and looking to change the handlebars.

Zaph42
April 13th, 2019, 05:19 AM
I wonder if you could fit a dirt tracker seat to it. You can buy them on ebay.

https://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mceecAzb5cCXe-Xws6x9bCA.jpg

Adds a neat look to just about any old bike.

http://www.hotwingglass.com/art/yamaha.jpg

Lost_Ronin
April 14th, 2019, 10:43 AM
How much you pay? Looks pretty good.

Lost_Ronin
June 6th, 2020, 12:33 PM
Thought I would post updates on this little bike. Doing it on the cheap but liking the way it is coming along.

DannoXYZ
June 6th, 2020, 01:30 PM
Coming along nicely! :)

JohnnyBravo
June 7th, 2020, 01:47 AM
Looks good to me!!! Congrats on another new ride