View Full Version : Dead clutch or Newbie problem?

Racebrewer
November 14th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Hi,

Went out this morning to go for a ride and the bike is fighting me. Started it up and it would stall every time I put it in gear.

After about a dozen tries I was able to get it into gear and then it would just stall when I let out the clutch. I tried that a number of times with different throttle settings and even rolling it forward Flintstone style with zero success.

This is a 2004 with unknown mileage and multiple owners who laid it down many times.:confused:

What should I look for? Clutch adjustment? Little pieces? Operator error?

Thanks,
John

kkim
November 14th, 2009, 09:38 AM
when was the last time the oil was changed? also. check your clutch cable free play adjustment.

also, read this... http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/My_bike_jolts_forward_when_I_put_it_in_gear_after_first_starting_it%3B_is_this_n ormal%3F

M
November 14th, 2009, 08:59 PM
It's probably stalling because you need to use the choke and dump some extra petrol into the carbs. You can back off the choke after 2-3 miles.

nate-bama
November 15th, 2009, 07:28 AM
sounds like your kickstand was down

Racebrewer
November 15th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Hi,

Adjusted clutch. Lubed cable. Kickstand was up. Still dies when I let the clutch out......... Zero forward movement.

But..... Kickstand.... Hhhhmmmm. When I got the bike the kickstand switch was dangling and hanging by a single screw. I found a socket head with the right threads and length in my basement and just put it in place.

Worked for a day? I have to go check that out.

Thanks,
John

Racebrewer
November 15th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Went back out to the driveway and pulled off the kickstand. The switch plunger was bent and jammed. Rubber boot was missing. Plunger was all chewed up, probably from being dragged on the ground. I cleaned it up with a file and a 3M pad, but it still jams at the bend.

Tonight I'll try straightening it in a vise with aluminum jaws. If that doesn't work, its off to the local Kawonda dealer. If they don't have it, where's a good place (preferably in the Northeast U.S.) where I can order?

At least it wasn't Newbie Operator Error....:thumbup:

Thanks,
John

Snake
November 15th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Glad to hear you finaly found the problem. You might want to bypass the kickstand switch until you can find a replacement. The only place I can think of to try is on ebay.

M
November 15th, 2009, 07:26 PM
John,

I have used 250 parts (about 20 tubs worth in my garage). I'll check Mon/Tue and see if I have a kickstand safety switch.

kkim
November 15th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I have used 250 parts (about 20 tubs worth in my garage).

pics or it ain't true. ;)

Racebrewer
November 23rd, 2009, 06:41 AM
Hi,

I filed most of the damage off of the bent and gouged switch plunger, but it still jammed. Next step was to straighten the plunger by clamping it in the vise and applying pressure to the switch body.

It seems to be working OK, but I haven't got it back on the bike. I'll try that Wednesday or Thursday. Getting there!

Thanks again,
John:thumbup:

kkim
November 23rd, 2009, 10:23 AM
is the switch preventing you from riding the bike? If so, you can bypass it until you get it fixed/replaced.