View Full Version : How often do you full gear up?

ally99
November 15th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Hey everyone! I was looking through some pictures of riders on the Dragon, and I have to admit, I personally cringe when I see bikers on difficult roads without a shred of gear on, but that's just my opinion.
Ok, about what percentage of your riding time would you say you completely gear up meaning riding pants, jacket, gloves, boots, helmet?
I hope there hasn't been a poll like this before. I did a quick search and didn't run across one.

250Rocket
November 15th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I had to vote a 0% technically.

I don't have any pants. I wear gauntlet gloves, helmet and leather jacket all the time. If it's for a ride (not to go somewhere specific) I'll wear my SMX-4 boots but I have yet to buy a pair of pants so I stick with Jeans. First thing on my list for next year.

CC Cowboy
November 15th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I only wear full gear at the track or on group rides (I think they are the most dangerous).

bob706
November 15th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Depends on the ride and the weather.

patw
November 15th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I only wear full gear at the track or on group rides (I think they are the most dangerous).

Same here, and yes they are :(

250rinblack
November 15th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I couldn't imagine not fully gearing up for a ride. Normal gear is:Shoei TZR helmet; Shift Street-fighter jacket; Shift summer gloves and shoes; Draggin kevlar riding jeans. When I am off for a good serious ride the Dianese New-san two-piece leathers go on with guantlets and Sidi boots. I cringe when I see guys riding past in shorts, t-shirts and track shoes.

adouglas
November 15th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I feel naked without full gear.

ally99
November 15th, 2009, 08:30 AM

Me too!

adouglas
November 15th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Of course, that's because under the gear I am naked, but that's another story. :eek::D

noche_caliente
November 15th, 2009, 08:41 AM
well, isn't the expression ATGATT?
I', pretty sure that means ALL the gear, ALL the time! Otherwise, it would be STGSTT for SOME of the gear SOME of the time!

Snake
November 15th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I had to be honest and put myself in the 75% to 99% range. I am getting to the 100% range but not there yet. Just being honest.

capt_bugaloo
November 15th, 2009, 09:22 AM
MTGATT: I always wear full gear - except proper riding trousers. I normally wear just jeans or slacks when riding around town.

ScraitT
November 15th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I had to choose the 0%.
I always wear my helmet and jacket.
I haven't been wearing my gloves lately because they are at my other house and I keep forgetting to grab them (which I know if I eve go down *knock on wood* I'll be curing myself for no gloves).
I wear jeans and shoes, not riding pants or boots.

JeffM
November 15th, 2009, 10:12 AM
100%.

alex.s
November 15th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I'm personally terrified of dying, so i wear ATGATT. it feels like i'm not wearing my seat-belt when i don't have my backpack on and snapped up front. due to my hideously loud bike, i'm also required to wear earplugs at all times. (such a pain in the ass!)

100%

Kawikaze
November 15th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I don't take any chances on the freeway - It's full gear for me with no exceptions.

But

If i'm just taking a ride around town below 35mph or so, I just wear my jeans.
I am planning to get some riding jeans to replace those in a week, so at least i'll have some lightweight protection.

KJohnson21
November 15th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I do not wear riding pants all of the time. Everything else is always there.

BlueTyke
November 15th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I love the skin I'm in.. 100%

OldGuy
November 15th, 2009, 01:50 PM
ATGATT - no hesitation, no questions.

Flow
November 15th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I always wear gear. I live in a gravelly area and usually have rotten luck. I bet if I ever decided to ride without gear for 5 minutes, I'd wind up having my first fall and having that part ground off by the road.

Zero260
November 15th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I don't have pants. I always wear my helmet, jacket and gloves.

Alex
November 15th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I don't have pants.

Doesn't it get a little drafty? :)

Flashmonkey
November 15th, 2009, 03:07 PM

I don't have any pants. I wear gauntlet gloves, helmet and leather jacket all the time. If it's for a ride (not to go somewhere specific) I'll wear my SMX-4 boots but I have yet to buy a pair of pants so I stick with Jeans. First thing on my list for next year.

This goes the same for me too. I have yet to find a pair of riding pants with good abrasion AND impact protection that actually fit around my thighs *sigh*. Kevlar lined jeans don't count really haha, but even those are starting to get a little tight.

But I typically wear full gauntlets, a full jacket, and riding boots 100% of the time. Well...95% of the time. Sometimes I switch out the gauntlets for shorties.

welcome2thedawn
November 15th, 2009, 03:58 PM
i am embarassed to say that when i was learning i was 100%...it's a terrible excuse, but i found that i wouldn't go out as much because it seemed like a huge pain to put everything on...the more comfortable i got, the more i would end up in jeans and running shoes...always helmet, jacket and gloves....i have to say though that this site has been a good influence on me...seeing how even the most experienced riders gear up every time made me think more about how that quick trip to the store could be the one i go down and how stupid i would feel knowing i had good pants and boots sitting in my closet...so now it's back to atgatt

ninjablk08
November 15th, 2009, 05:01 PM
100% ,hoping to get leather pants and jacket for next year,maybe new boots too cause i want to go to the track and start dragging knees

nate-bama
November 15th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I feel naked without my clothes on.........:)

DRivero
November 15th, 2009, 08:33 PM
ATGATT for me, every ride, no exceptions. And where I live, that ain't easy! Up until recently, I had everything but pants. So of course I had a spill (while I was riding pillion, actually, but still...), and the only thing that got rashed was my knee. My "heavy" jeans went like tissue paper......I now own armored pants.

ninjabrewer
November 15th, 2009, 09:27 PM

Scorpion had the Deuce over pants that I have, and so far I really like them. Side zippers and they have armour in the knees and hips.

me too, I rode down the road and back after a changed the oil once with helmet, gloves, t shirt, running shoes and ACU pants. Boy did that feel weird.

I had to be honest and put myself in the 75% to 99% range. I am getting to the 100% range but not there yet. Just being honest.

That is what I put, I am pretty much in the 98-99 percentile, there has been a time or 2 that I went to the movies or out to eat and only wore jeans instead of my over pants. (I think that I have done that twice) But I do wear them to go grocery shopping. Man do I get some looks. :D

:whatshesaid:

If I lost any of my skin, I would lose this gorgeous all over body tan that I got this summer. :cool:

nb

RRTRIDER
November 15th, 2009, 10:24 PM
i always wear helmet, jacket, jeans, racing boots and very rarely my icon leg armor. but sometimes i dont wear proper pants or ankle protection when i ride to work. i work at the mall which is literally like a mile from my house. plus i am always running late so i dont have time to change at work. im suprised im not fired yet..

Nickds7
November 15th, 2009, 10:41 PM
On my 1.5mi ride to work I don't wear riding pants. I have proper boots on though. Don't have time and the pants I wear to and from work get way too messy to mix with riding pants.

I am all gear when it comes to any type of group ride or anything other than to and from work.

karlosdajackal
November 16th, 2009, 02:41 AM
100% now.

First week I got the bike I did not have proper boots or riding pants. Didn't feel comfortable in running shoes and jeans. Since getting the riding pants and boots they are always worn.

I also have a chest/back protector I wear a lot of the time but not for really short rides (can make it difficult to look over your shoulder due to the neck piece, also makes it hard to bend down and put on the chain+lock as it goes right down below the waist line, if you have poor posture normally it will hurt your back after a few hours use as your back will have to get used to being straighter than normal)

tiburonsita
November 16th, 2009, 06:51 AM

:amen:

noche_caliente
November 16th, 2009, 05:33 PM
i always wear helmet, jacket, jeans, racing boots and very rarely my icon leg armor. but sometimes i dont wear proper pants or ankle protection when i ride to work. i work at the mall which is literally like a mile from my house. plus i am always running late so i dont have time to change at work. im suprised im not fired yet..

That mile in NOVA has some bad traffic, I'm sure - you should really reconsider the it's only a mile position you're taking - look for the post from the girl who broke her leg leaving her driveway if you need more motivation to gear up every time

ally99
November 16th, 2009, 05:53 PM
You know what I LOVE about this board as opposed to others? Well, just look at the poll results. A wide majority gear up EVERY TIME! I'll admit, I didn't used to. I used to wear jeans as a passenger with my hubby, and then I started to ride, and I'd wear shorts for the 3 miles to the gym where I workout, but after around 4-5 months of riding, reading, research, and even someone I LOVE getting in an accident (that was NOT his fault) and fairing pretty well b/c of being geared up, I learned the importance of taking risks while GEARED UP! Now, I don't even go the mile and a half to walmart without my gear...an accident could easily happen at that intersection, and sadly, it's quite common. You guys are mature, responsible riders concerned with safety while at the same time having a freakin' BALL on 2-wheels. I trust the riders on this board for advice more than any other, whether it's advice about riding my 250 or learning my 650...good advice is good advice, period.
Thank you all! :) The results of this poll ROCK! YAY us! :) Ally

Sailariel
November 16th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I always wear full gear even if it is a quick ride to the store. I have had three crashes racing bicycles. The "Road Rash" experienced in a 15 to 20 MPH crash is not pretty, and awful painful. Bicyclists don`t have the luxury of gear---all we have is a helmet and gloves. I would not want to imagine road rash at 40 or 50MPH.

Zombiphone
November 16th, 2009, 08:56 PM
When I first started, I wore everything but pants. I thought motorcycle gear looked really cool, and I wanted it all, but I just couldn't find a decent pair of women's pants, so I figured I'd be fine to go without. When I went down the first- and so far only- time, I was virtually unscathed everywhere I was protected, but ended up with some painful road rash on one of my knees.

Now, I have a scar on my knee under full leather at all times. Turns out, however, that getting to be a Power Ranger every time I hop on my steed makes riding even more entertaining for me :D Although the guys at work sometimes poke fun at me, but eh. I think it's cool ^_^

G250RSC
November 19th, 2009, 07:51 AM
100% All the time. Got 4 kids and want to be around for many riding year to come!!