View Full Version : Is the Ninja 250 05 a reliable bike?

F9zSlavik
May 3rd, 2019, 03:04 PM
I need someone's honest opinion.

Aside from my Gladius, I also own a 2005 Ninja 250 which I finally got it fixed, bought it for 1100 + about 800 for repairs and registrations. This bike now has 3.4k miles on it. The motorcycle sat for 10 years.

I thought about selling the ninja 250 for around 2k, someone offered me 1700 for it which I is good enough for me but now I am debating whether or not this is a smart move. The ninja 250 last forever from what I read, should I use it as a daily driver and use the sfv650 for more a weekend bike or the occasional "take to work" bike? Or would you sell the ninja 250 and buy a newer daily driver like a ninja 300 or use the money to upgrade the sfv650 some more?

I'm really conflicted. I don't care about speed or engine size as far as me going to work.

I bought my SFV650 last year which had about 12k miles on it. Fast forward a year and it now has 22-23k now. That's a lot of miles. I did some minor upgrades, GSXR suspension and I am about to remove the catalytic converted and upgrade the muffler.

I ride 56 miles a day to work and back. That's 280 miles a week, that's 13k a year. The bike won't last very long with me riding it like this and this is not including personal riding. I hear motorcycle engines don't last as long as a car.

Tooch
May 3rd, 2019, 03:10 PM
It depends. If you take care of a motorcycle, it should last you many many many thousand miles. I personally prefer fuel injection, but only because that's what I'm most familiar with. But I've already rebuilt the carb on my wife's 250 and it runs like a top. With your bike having sat for 10 years, I'm assuming you're gonna have to do the same. Your costs initially are replacing things that have simply gotten old as opposed to wearing out. All fluids, tires, carb rebuild, looking over rubber coolant hoses/brake lines, plugs, wires, ECT.

Take care of the bike and there's no reason you don't get 100k+ miles out of it

Tooch
May 3rd, 2019, 03:17 PM
:greenmoto: Although those Ninja 400's are pretty sharp

F9zSlavik
May 3rd, 2019, 04:27 PM
It depends. If you take care of a motorcycle, it should last you many many many thousand miles. I personally prefer fuel injection, but only because that's what I'm most familiar with. But I've already rebuilt the carb on my wife's 250 and it runs like a top. With your bike having sat for 10 years, I'm assuming you're gonna have to do the same. Your costs initially are replacing things that have simply gotten old as opposed to wearing out. All fluids, tires, carb rebuild, looking over rubber coolant hoses/brake lines, plugs, wires, ECT.

Take care of the bike and there's no reason you don't get 100k+ miles out of it

You are right, I had to rebuild the carbs and replace a few things here and there. Everything works except for the reserve tank. Other than it, works flawlessly. I do have issues with the idle but apparently that's normal with these bikes.

F9zSlavik
May 3rd, 2019, 04:27 PM
:greenmoto: Although those Ninja 400's are pretty sharp

Yeah but they are 4k though ;/

Tooch
May 3rd, 2019, 04:53 PM
Yeah but they are 4k though ;/

Sounds like it's $2300 to me ;)

VaFish
May 3rd, 2019, 06:27 PM
Your SV650 will be fine for at least 3 more years of riding, probably 4 or 5 if you do maintenance properly.

On the other hand the Ninja 250 will make it last even longer if you put most of your commuting miles on it and save the SV650 for the weekends. You have $1,900 in the Ninja 250, why sell it for less? why lose money on it. It's paid for, keep riding it and it will extend the life of your SV650

F9zSlavik
May 4th, 2019, 09:06 AM
Your SV650 will be fine for at least 3 more years of riding, probably 4 or 5 if you do maintenance properly.

On the other hand the Ninja 250 will make it last even longer if you put most of your commuting miles on it and save the SV650 for the weekends. You have $1,900 in the Ninja 250, why sell it for less? why lose money on it. It's paid for, keep riding it and it will extend the life of your SV650

I read this and thought, you are right . Why sell it for less. Decided to keep it and what do you know it, some ones come at offers 2k for it. Even if I sell it for 2k, I still need a commuter bike. Sell it for 2k and get a 300 with low miles maybe? Are the 300 just as reliable since their nar carb?

VaFish
May 4th, 2019, 06:06 PM
I read this and thought, you are right . Why sell it for less. Decided to keep it and what do you know it, some ones come at offers 2k for it. Even if I sell it for 2k, I still need a commuter bike. Sell it for 2k and get a 300 with low miles maybe? Are the 300 just as reliable since their nar carb?

I don't have any experience with the Ninja 300. But I believe NevadaWolf put over 100,000 miles on one (including some Iron Butt rides) before moving to her Honda 500.

NevadaWolf
May 4th, 2019, 06:27 PM

Mine is a 2012, so last year before the 300s.

DannoXYZ
May 5th, 2019, 04:47 PM
"Reliable" is relative measure I think. I think it's ratio of 100% functionality vs. how much effort is required to maintain that functionality. In that regard, my 2x pregens have required more effort than my 2x newgens. The pregens needed more maintenance than my newgens such as case leaks, cracked wiring, and gummed-up carbs . Most likely due to age and neglect at time I bought them.

However the newgens required more effort for valve-adjustments. So it may be wash between 250s.

They both require more work than my VF500 which I've had for 30-years. Having kept up on maintenance since beginning, it never requires any additional repair work.

However, having carburetors, they all require pre-winter preventative maintenance such as fuel-stabilisers and float-bowl draining before storage. One newgen I keep riding over winter as commuter does require extended warm-up with choke to get going.

In these regards, my CBR600RR is more reliable than all of them, going year after year without needing as much maintenance. It starts up on 1st crank after winter and I can take off immediately. Even brake-pads and chain lasts longer.

Buzzerd
May 8th, 2019, 08:13 AM
My 2000 250 has been a reliable commuter for 12 years now (it was 7 years old when I got it with only 600 miles). Regular maintenance has been important but now at 72K miles it is starting to get tired.
Cheers!