View Full Version : for all those bread tie lovers out there

ducatiman
June 1st, 2019, 08:20 AM
Cleaning all my spare jets, Mikuni and Keihin maybe 30-40? Out of them all I encounter 1 severely clogged pilot jet, 3-4 courses of ultrasonic and intense compressed air...still clogged....its a 38 Keihin (stock 250) pilot, now I'm determined to see wassup... I hit it with a .013" guitar string....first into the jet from top (still blocked) then backwards (into spray end of jet) a load of poop comes out (from top) featuring a broken, tiny remnant of soft wire (which was blocking the whole port) Very likely from someone using the ever popular bread tie.

Lesson to be learned...for pilot jets DO NOT buy into the "bread ties work great" BS. Or any other wire that is simply "convenient" and "fits".

Its of great benefit to know the size of the opening involved, using the appropriate size steel guitar string (very rigid) you'll easily clear a pilot with no drama (or "leftovers").

Nope, no pics, you'll have to trust me on this one. A valid learning experience, and the pilot jet just may return to service some day! SAVED!

csmith12
June 1st, 2019, 08:44 AM
:werd:

Redneck pro tip: Cut the guitar string at a 45 angle for tough clogs but cut at a 90 for 99% of the rest of the job(s).

ducatiman
June 1st, 2019, 01:11 PM
can be filed to a needle like point as well. be careful, will pass right through a finger or hand.

DannoXYZ
June 2nd, 2019, 09:08 AM
Guitar string’s very strong!

ducatiman
June 2nd, 2019, 10:58 AM

Absolutely, work really well, knowing your size before going in is imperative. Don't believe I've ever been unable to clear a clogged jet, however damage to the head frequently justifies bitchy removal and replacement. Gorilla unnecessary over tightening is the main offender. Firm but not stupid tight is called for.

Just the other day was forced to drill and e-ze out 2 Mikuni pilots way overtightened (with resultant damaged heads) in Ducati carbset (ebay spares, my property)

Mikuni BDST38 for Ducati uses removable jet holders (pictured, hold pilot, main and starter jets) convenient to service jets.

This removal precipitated the jet cleaning project...and led to this very "bread tie" thread/rant. :)

DannoXYZ
June 2nd, 2019, 11:15 AM
Is there a torque spec for these jets?

ducatiman
June 2nd, 2019, 11:45 AM
I've never seen any value....IMHO just use common sense with eventual removal in mind.

Triple Jim
June 2nd, 2019, 12:21 PM

An understatment. Music wire can get over 400,000 psi tensile strength, but you probably knew that. :)

DannoXYZ
June 3rd, 2019, 08:41 PM
Wow, never knew the specifics of guitar string, thanks!

Wonder if a super-strong, super-light frame can be made from the stuff...hmmm....

dcj13
June 4th, 2019, 06:22 PM
An understatment. Music wire can get over 400,000 psi tensile strength, but you probably knew that. :)

That works out to about 53 lbs tensile strength, based on wire diameter.