View Full Version : Electrical help

NaturalFlavored
June 9th, 2019, 08:27 PM
Ok this isn't a ninja but you guys helped me with my old ninja in the past. This is a cn250 motor when I start it, it acts like there is a drain or short somewhere. I started this bike a week or so ago no problems didn't drive it just started it to make sure it was fine.
I replaced the starter solenoid because it was clicking.
Quick video of the symptoms

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HqaimFFngL1VSgGx7

DannoXYZ
June 9th, 2019, 11:10 PM
Is new starter solenoid also clicking?
Measure voltage at battery before hitting START. What is voltage?
Measure voltage at battery while hitting START. What is voltage?

Try this test. Jump-start bike from car with known-good battery (battery can start car). Leave car off and connect jumper cables. Wiggle jumper cables on both ends to get good bite. Try starting bike now.

NaturalFlavored
June 10th, 2019, 06:17 PM
I guess it's a bad battery I jumped it and it started the first time. So I checked the voltage when starting and the battery dropped to 2 volts.
It's only a 3 month battery, so I emailed the company upset.

DannoXYZ
June 11th, 2019, 11:36 AM
What brand battery is this? Need to make note to avoid.

Also don't rule out charging system. After bike is jump-started and jumper-cables removed, measure voltage at battery again. What does it measure?

NaturalFlavored
June 11th, 2019, 04:05 PM
Getting a replacement battery. When the knew one gets here I'll test the voltage under load and see if it goes up at all. But thanks for the response, I never thought of checking under load. Never had problems with batteries in the past that had this outcome threw me off. Haha

NaturalFlavored
June 11th, 2019, 07:25 PM
Found an extra battery, threw it on the charger for an hour put it on the bike reading at 13.6volts. started right up kept the meter on and it was going up by .01 watched it for a few numbers then turned it off. Then back on. Don't know how the battery went bad.

dcj13
June 11th, 2019, 08:09 PM
A standard flooded lead acid battery loses about 1% of its charge per day when not in use.

90 days? Well...

NaturalFlavored
June 11th, 2019, 08:12 PM
Ok but I used it about a week and half before this issue. Battery was 4 months old. Stator still works as the new battery showed it did, so if a battery can go bad in 2 weeks of not using well that's pretty crappy.