View Full Version : San Diego twisties tour

alex.s
November 24th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Hey all,
So i've taken this small tour around San Diego (~130mi) (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111533264766937729263.0004777fe7da4d7984509&z=11) for the 3rd time now, and i must say its absolutely fantastic. 3 Beaches, 4 Lakes and countless Mountain twisties nearly the whole way. Del Dios highway and the surrounding mesh of "country roads" are mostly beautifully paved and generally free of traffic on weekdays. nothing very tricky, but still a whole lot of fun! There have been plenty of reports on highland valley rd -> palomar mountain rd, so i wont go into detail there, but instead pose a question: has anyone tried taking a left on magnolia in julian and gone up black canyon rd to mesa grande to the 76? i can't tell from the map if its paved or not! :o

--alex

p.s. i guess i should mention that the map above is the 'proposed' route through black canyon... and that the previous rides were on the 78->67->79->76 route

ninjabrewer
November 24th, 2009, 08:43 PM
That looks like fun, I need to go south and ride some before I leave.

nb

HKr1
November 25th, 2009, 09:27 AM
has anyone tried taking a left on magnolia in julian and gone up black canyon rd to mesa grande to the 76? i can't tell from the map if its paved or not! :o

Mesa Grande was a nice road, been 10+ years since I been out there. We liked it allot better than 79.

Snake
November 25th, 2009, 09:57 AM
It sounds like a great ride Alex.

CZroe
November 25th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Tagged for later.

HKr1
November 25th, 2009, 02:07 PM
^ I wish :)

Maybe will get back there next year, We can rent a HD to take the ride :D

Rexbo
November 26th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Mesa grande is one of my favorite sections around palomar! One end of the road has long well paved sweeping turns with a decent grade, plus it ends up at that awesome place that makes amazing pies and bread. In the middle of there is a great resting up stretch with some beautiful scenery that makes you forget you're so close to San Diego. The other end of mesa grande is very steep, has many sharp blind corners, so you must be very careful, but is challenging in a different way.

KJohnson21
November 28th, 2009, 11:06 PM
has anyone tried taking a left on magnolia in julian and gone up black canyon rd to mesa grande to the 76? i can't tell from the map if its paved or not! :o

Black Canyon Road is not paved! Mesa Grande Road is, and like the others said, it's a lot of fun. Just be careful on the north end, it drops right down the side of a mesa with some tight twists and turns.