View Full Version : Truck driver swerves and causes motorcycle to crash

Klondike1020
August 11th, 2019, 02:48 PM
Everyone just remeber that there are a bad or stupid people out there. Dont give them the chance to wreck you!

:/

https://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-nws-motorcyclist-seriously-injured-truck-driver-charges-20190808-itxryqwrubg2jlce7cjfupxqee-story.html

Koala
August 11th, 2019, 05:16 PM
I saw this story on Reddit. It's messed up that people are like that.

CaliGrrl
August 11th, 2019, 08:49 PM
Messed up. It's not his place to "teach" anybody a lesson. All we learn is that this guy is major jerk. And this is the kind of thing I try to watch for when riding. And plan my escape from.

DannoXYZ
August 11th, 2019, 11:02 PM
A move like that should cost him his license permanently!

Klondike1020
August 12th, 2019, 09:12 PM
The real moral of the story is that we as riders have to keep as much control in our environment as possible. Let's not take risks around other drivers.

People are to unpredictable, to incompetent, and sometime down right murderous.

The rider survived, which is a blessing in itself.

Any ways stay frisky out there 🤘.

VaFish
August 13th, 2019, 05:42 AM
A move like that should cost him his license permanently!

1. The charge should be attempted murder. He should spend the rest of his life in jail.

2. The truck driver is a total idiot not only for purposely running a bike off the road, but then for admitting it. What sort of arrogant SOB stands around bragging about running someone off the road?

3. The truck driver not only is going to jail, he is going to lose everything he owns in the following civil suit.

CaliGrrl
August 13th, 2019, 04:16 PM
Lose everything he owns in the lawsuit- and rightly so. This is not how a person should behave on the roads.

nocturncal
August 17th, 2019, 04:12 PM
Wow...that's messed up. Glad the rider survived. Hope that guy gets charged with at least attempted manslaughter

I don't understand how people will go to extremes for their version of "justice"

CaliGrrl
August 17th, 2019, 09:08 PM
There's a frustration with people getting "away" with things, and they want to "teach them a lesson." It doesn't work that way, but that's the mindset, I think.

DannoXYZ
August 18th, 2019, 05:35 PM
I have little faith that our criminal justice will deal him sentence which fits that crime. Most likely slap on wrist: time-served, suspended sentence and community service.

Cafe Racer
September 2nd, 2019, 04:01 AM
The key to the story is the motorcyclist was passing the truck when the truck driver swerve. A quick glance at that intersection shows there is only one lane of traffic traveling in each direction.

Seems to me the motorcycle driver may have been correctly described as driving like a xxxxxxx.

There is no excuse for what the cage driver did, but if you think this is an open and shut case think again.

Don’t contribute to your own death by driving like a DICK.

InvisiBill
September 2nd, 2019, 10:25 AM
What sort of arrogant SOB stands around bragging about running someone off the road?

Based on the little bit in the article, I don't think he was bragging. I think he just meant to scare the biker (most of us have probably brake-checked someone at one time or another), and things went horribly wrong. And like Cafe Racer said, it seems very likely that the biker was passing illegally, and probably otherwise driving like an ass too (based on typical bikers who are willing to break one law, and end up getting in accidents).

..blurted out, “It’s my fault, I [expletive] up, but they need to learn they can’t drive like that and do whatever they want.”

Like others said, there's no excuse for what happened. But it doesn't sound like bragging to me - just panicked explanation/justification of what happened. "I was trying to teach him a lesson for driving like a jerk, and things went bad, and I hit him." At least to me, it doesn't come off like "Yeah, I hit him, because he was driving like a jerk, and I'd do it again."

The irony is that his own quote applies to his vigilante actions - "they need to learn they can’t drive like that and do whatever they want.”

DannoXYZ
September 2nd, 2019, 02:54 PM
The key to the story is the motorcyclist was passing the truck when the truck driver swerve. A quick glance at that intersection shows there is only one lane of traffic traveling in each direction.

Seems to me the motorcycle driver may have been correctly described as driving like a xxxxxxx.

There is no excuse for what the cage driver did, but if you think this is an open and shut case think again.

Don’t contribute to your own death by driving like a DICK.

Article is skimpy on exact location and direction. It could be biker was preparing for left-turn and might have been impatient and tailgating truck? Then when left-turn lane opened up, biker moved over. Truck guy may have seen that as an aggressive passing maneuver, but maybe biker really was just setting up for left turn onto Willowbrook?

Charges of “disregarding traffic lanes, careless driving and reckless driving.” Certainly sounds like truck changed from one designated lane into a second valid lane without proper signaling, without verifying lane was clear, and without giving others already in lane right-of-way.

Cafe Racer
September 3rd, 2019, 03:41 AM
Article is skimpy on exact location and direction. It could be biker was preparing for left-turn and might have been impatient and tailgating truck? Then when left-turn lane opened up, biker moved over. Truck guy may have seen that as an aggressive passing maneuver, but maybe biker really was just setting up for left turn onto Willowbrook?

Charges of “disregarding traffic lanes, careless driving and reckless driving.” Certainly sounds like truck changed from one designated lane into a second valid lane without proper signaling, without verifying lane was clear, and without giving others already in lane right-of-way.

OK so the truck driver did not signal.
If the biker was really turning left did he signal? Guess not.

This seems so simple to me. Biker try’s to go around and gets bumped into the ditch. Both drivers are at fault. Both drivers are dumbasses. One driver had huge cage around him. The other driver had air around him.

I am sick of people thinking they are “entitled” to do what they want. No consideration to anyone.

I took a ride yesterday to the auto parts store. I live at the beach. Labor Day weekend is a total traffic madhouse. During a short 15 mike trip I had two cars pull out in front of me and one decide he like my lane better then his. Nothing super close, but they were trying to kill me.

Take a deep breath and don’t contribute to your own death.

Apex
September 14th, 2019, 01:50 AM
I have it figured out......people are a-holes! All drivers are a-holes!