View Full Version : Hearing Protection

HayleyHay46
October 30th, 2019, 10:05 PM
Hey fellow riders! I just watched this video about Big Ear (https://www.bigearinc.com/the-best-motorcycle-ear-plugs-and-how-to-choose/) custom earbuds that are also hearing protection and I want to know if any of you here tried their products. I'd love to get myself a pair but I want to know if they're great first. Any other recommendation? Thanks!

https://youtu.be/74-CvPzyW48

Koala
November 5th, 2019, 06:06 PM
I've considered custom ear plugs in the past, but never acted on it. I'm also a weirdo that likes to hear my bike and everything else around me vs music while riding. I bought a pair of $20 Pinlock ear plugs from Revzilla, and they work great for me. Block out quite a bit of wind and engine noise, while still being able to hear what I need to hear.

MrAtom
November 5th, 2019, 07:17 PM
I bought a variety pack of disposable earplugs from this website (https://www.earplugstore.com/unfoamtrialp.html), at the recommendation of this forum's members. I went through half the bag and while there are plugs I like more than others, I eventually just started using the $5 3-pack of reusable ones you find at Lowe's, with the strings cut off. They work great and I worry less about having my dirty fingers touch the foam.

DannoXYZ
November 5th, 2019, 09:14 PM
Personally, I’ve used at least 30 different varieties of foam ear-plugs (whatever trackday organizer puts out at reg table). I think they all work well and similarly.

Big factor is installation expertise. I’ve gotten good at rolling them up and pulling my ear flap back with other hand from behind head. Then it goes all way in easily. I recognized that for many years, I was riding with one or both ear-plugs only inserted half-way.

Latest and greatest ear-plugs are gooey silicone ones my wife got me for shooting. They completely stop ALL noise from getting through. I can feel percussion of shots and what sound I hear is conducted through skull bones. On bike, they may be bit too quiet. I usually like to hear people coming up behind me at track so I can block them. Or car honks and stuff in traffic.

DannoXYZ
November 5th, 2019, 09:18 PM
hhahahhaha!!! This is great!
I come from a lineage that believed if you cut your fingers off on Monday morning you get ducktape on em Monday afternoon and you get back to work on Monday evening.

Koala
November 6th, 2019, 02:53 AM
I tried the disposable foam earplugs when I was still working at the car wash. The owner had just installed two new overhead blowers, and they were deafening. Unfortunately for me, with those earplugs in I can't hear a damn thing. It put me in a dangerous situation not being able to hear what was going on around me, so I took them out. Hence my reasoning for not even trying them while riding.

Ralgha
November 6th, 2019, 10:46 PM
I just use the disposable foam earplugs, though I reuse the same pair for months. They work great, just be sure you're inserting them right, many people don't.