View Full Version : bike behind "Zen and Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

DannoXYZ
December 28th, 2019, 09:04 PM
Inducted into Smithsonian!

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/12/23/bike-behind-zen-and-art-of-motorcycle-maintenance-joins-smithsonians-collection

Snake
December 29th, 2019, 08:33 AM
Nice looking bike! Just as the bike inspired him to write the book, the bike has inspired me to read the book.

Triple Jim
December 29th, 2019, 10:30 AM
It's amazing to imagine him riding all the way across the country on that... with his son on the back!

VaFish
January 4th, 2020, 02:40 PM
Is it actually on display or just sitting in a warehouse somewhere?

VaFish
January 5th, 2020, 01:43 PM
Well from the Smithsonian web site it sounds like it is not on display yet. They say it will be the new home of the bike.

I'm guessing it will take a little while for the curators to get it prepared for the musuem display, also sounds like there was some stuff donated such as Pirsig's jacket, tools, ect... So they will have to build some sort of display for all of it.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/press/releases/%E2%80%9Czen-motorcycle%E2%80%9D-takes-final-journey-smithsonian%E2%80%99s-collections

It's amazing to imagine him riding all the way across the country on that... with his son on the back!

I also think it's funny that Pirsig took his real life 5,700 mile trip, two up with his 11 year old son, and camping gear on a bike that is fairly comparable to our Ninja 250's about the same wheelbase, HP, ect.. then I hear people tell me my 1200 Sportster is too small to tour on.

Koala
January 8th, 2020, 03:41 AM
Nice looking bike! Just as the bike inspired him to write the book, the bike has inspired me to read the book.

It's an awesome book! A good one to read after would be Zen and Now by Mark Richardson. It gives some extra insight into Pirsig's book.

nocturncal
January 9th, 2020, 02:53 PM
Man what a coincidence I just bought this book last week.
I'm reading it for the first time

GAU-8
January 11th, 2020, 09:26 PM
I never knew ( from what I remember) that it's loosely based on real accounts. My mom purchased it for me as a Christmas present, back in the '90s... never read but I still have it. Now you all have piqued my interest to read a book, rather than gloss over a bike mag.:D