View Full Version : Touchscreens + Gloves

Momaru
December 7th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I've got a Microshaft Zune I use on occasion to add a soundtrack to rides, but like many other portable media devices/phones, it features a touch pad/screen. Thus gloves usually need to come off to use it in the wintertime, at least mine do (summer leather gloves seem fine, guess winters are just too thick). While not that bad, since I don't fiddle with it once on the road, it's just a pain to have to pull the gloves off just to change a song and I'm far too low-tech/lazy to go as gung-ho as binlagin has with his project.

I puzzled over this for almost an hour before I found something that worked: a fencing lamé. Essentially it's just vest of conductive material we fencers use to provide a contact for electronic scoring. But it also works with touchscreens. Then I found this and felt a little slow

http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-A-Glove-Work-With-A-Touch-Screen/

They even have a link in there to a distributor for conductive thread.

Essentially just sew yourself a contact patch of conductive thread and blammo! In my case no need to leave the threads inside the glove for contact to skin, works just fine without but YMMV.

Hope this saves at least one other person some brain strain at 4am...

ninja250
December 8th, 2009, 05:10 AM
sweet!
Will have to order up some of that once I mount my iphone to the bike. Thanks dude! Will save me that extra 30 seconds ripping the glove off really quick at the stop light.

rockNroll
December 8th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I can't imagine riding in city traffic without being able to hear the traffic around me... not safe IMO. I don't even wear ear plugs cept out-of-town riding.

tiburonsita
December 8th, 2009, 08:33 AM
How awesome it that. BIG thank you! Gotta try this.

ninja250
December 8th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I can't imagine riding in city traffic without being able to hear the traffic around me... not safe IMO. I don't even wear ear plugs cept out-of-town riding.

I think it's against the law to wear music earbuds while driving. (you can't hear emergency vehicles)

iphone's aren't only for music though.
GPS and a time clock are the two reasons I'd like access to mine while riding..
Also, you can play music over a speaker just fine I believe. (it has a built in loudspeaker)

tiburonsita
December 8th, 2009, 08:49 AM
It's not something I'd do while riding but when I pull over to pump gas, I don't want to have to take off my glove in order to view my iphone calls/emails and what not.

rockNroll
December 8th, 2009, 08:51 AM
It's not something I'd do while riding but when I pull over to pump gas, I don't want to have to take off my glove in order to view my iphone calls/emails and what not.

You young whippersnapers with yer high-tech gadgets!

Momaru
December 8th, 2009, 10:32 AM

I've found using ear plugs to cut wind noise makes it easier for me to notice other vehicles and ambulances because I'm not having to mentally filter out all the wind. Yes, a better/quieter helmet may help too.

I think it's against the law to wear music earbuds while driving. (you can't hear emergency vehicles)

I'll admit, I do wear earbuds sometimes and almost certainly violate the law while doing so, but I've never had an issue hearing other vehicles or emergency vehicles on the bike. That said, I keep the tunes low both to protect my hearing and for hearing the world around me. Heck, I have a worse time hearing emergency vehicles in my truck due to a transmission bearing I've been meaning to fix.

rockNroll
December 8th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I've found using ear plugs to cut wind noise makes it easier for me to notice other vehicles and ambulances because I'm not having to mentally filter out all the wind. Yes, a better/quieter helmet may help too.

I don't get much wind noise at in-town speeds.. perhaps you need a quieter helmet?

I'll admit, I do wear earbuds sometimes and almost certainly violate the law while doing so, but I've never had an issue hearing other vehicles or emergency vehicles on the bike. That said, I keep the tunes low both to protect my hearing and for hearing the world around me. Heck, I have a worse time hearing emergency vehicles in my truck due to a transmission bearing I've been meaning to fix.

How would you know?

Momaru
December 8th, 2009, 11:30 AM
How would you know?

Fair enough, 'never' is a bit strong a word to use. There's a solid chance I haven't heard some, but I remember numerous instances of hearing emergency vehicles before seeing them on the bike. Was riding with Noche for one of them. Also can't remember an instance of being surprised by a vehicle that I didn't hear when I should've.

That said, I acknowledge that it's almost certainly not the smartest thing to be doing, but I intend to continue doing it, if for no other reason as it helps break some monotony on long trips. Also, I don't ride with music/earbuds for in-town trips often.

Agree to disagree and let the derail end? :o

smcbride11
December 8th, 2009, 12:52 PM

Depends on the state. Some allow them, some allow one, some don't allow them at all.

ninja250
December 8th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Dang I didn't even realize my gloves (http://www.newenough.com/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/joe_rocket/gpx_2_motorcycle_gloves.html) worked with my iPhone. I'm an idiot :D
I guess I never tried until now once I realized they were leather. Maybe I did but didn't push hard enough. Haven't used them in a while so I needed a refresher.

Just need a nice mount and charge jack for this puppy on the 250 now.
Don't need to mess with it until I'm at a stop I think. I could call folks without removing my helmet too by using the speaker phone option while taking a quick ride break.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/glovesphone003.jpg

Nickds7
December 8th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Any good mount ideas for an iphone?

ninja250
December 8th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Will definitely be working/posting on that soon. I still have to buy three sockets and finish my 600mi service first.

I used a wide strip of velcro and stuck the phone to the gas tank just in front of the tank lid for a short while but you can't see it there while riding easily and I'm afraid of losing it that way.

I'm probably going to make a 90* bracket and mount it behind the windscreen, then add a charging lead. The rest is navigation and punctual history. :D

My iphone is hacked too and I made it do video. Might work for some video feed if I don't make the mount too rigid.

Nickds7
December 8th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I should have looked: http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/AppleMounts/tabid/1647/Default.aspx

Only problem I foresee would be iphones with cases. I have a otterbox defender on my iphone, adding some size to it.

edit: nevermind, RAM Mounts is awesome, they have ottorbox mounts too.

OldGuy
December 8th, 2009, 05:34 PM
[rant on]

Question to the thread - what is the difference between a cager texting while driving and a motorcyclist adjusting his iTunes.

Answer - not a dam thing.

Like rock, I wear ear plugs when I hit the highway because of the wind noise but in town my focus is on what is ahead, beside and behind me. I don't know about you but that pretty much keeps me occupied.

Come on people. I don't care if you are in a cage or on the bike if it is that important pull over and take care of it. There are enough people out there trying to get us without even aiming, don't make us "fish in a barrel".

But then I'm just an "Old Guy"

[rant off]

ninja250
December 9th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I should have looked: http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/AppleMounts/tabid/1647/Default.aspx

Only problem I foresee would be iphones with cases. I have a otterbox defender on my iphone, adding some size to it.

edit: nevermind, RAM Mounts is awesome, they have ottorbox mounts too.

Thanks! Those look great! Several different versions too, to mount it anywhere on the bike you want really.

Question to the thread - what is the difference between a cager texting while driving and a motorcyclist adjusting his iTunes.

I agree.
That would be a point I was repeatedly trying to stress. It's a no-no to be messing with the phone while riding. A quick stop on the side of the road to adjust your tunes, call somebody, start your gps for the twisties or even glancing down while riding to check the time in half a second wouldn't be such a bad idea though. :)
Also it's a pain to take your glove off to reach into your pocket for your phone just to check the time or to see if someone called when your getting gas or warming up the bike etc.
If you sit in aggressive positions, another reason to want the phone out of your pocket. (gets in the way like a wallet in your back pocket while driving a cage for hours)

Momaru
December 9th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Another +1
Posted/was looking into this simply because having to pull gloves off turns a 30 second stop into a few minutes of cold stop. Definitely agree that if it's important enough to fiddle with, it's important enough to pull over for.

headshrink
December 9th, 2009, 06:36 PM
As far as I know about the law (in Kalifornia at least), it is illegal to wear headphones driving a car and riding a bike, but oddly enough it is legal on a MC IF in only one ear. go figure....

Nickds7
December 9th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I mainly want it for gps myself. If any of you have the ottorbox defender on your iphone, there is not a good mount for it =(. I emailed support to see what they would recommend.. they just recommended a mount that uses 4 tabs to hold the phone by the sides! That isn't going to cut it, not on a motorcycle.