View Full Version : Wisconsin Kart Track Opens Up for Socially Distanced Track Days

Zaph42
April 28th, 2020, 04:11 PM
USAIR - Shawano, WI

See attachment, via their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Usairmotorsports/?ref=br_rs). Plenty of rules to keep people safe, but they are doing it. And I don't see why not. The place is spacious and there's no problem getting some track action in without being close to other people.

I'll be setting up a day late May or early June if any Ninjettes in the midwest driving distance are interested.

http://zaphaudio.com/temp/USAIR-small.jpg

https://vimeo.com/358960834

Triple Jim
April 28th, 2020, 05:13 PM
The only possible problem I see is the increased chance of needing to go to a hospital when you're playing on a Kart track. As long as their hospitals aren't overly taxed now, maybe that's not a problem there.

I wish the Kart track here was still only $45. Last time I went they were up to $60 and it may be higher this year. It's also a much simpler track.

jkv45
April 29th, 2020, 06:25 AM
Oldest son is heading to USAir later this week.

Just got the new set of Bridgestone slicks on the CRF150R last night. Seeing how they compare to the Dunlops he ran last season.

Are you organizing a track day in May/June? I'm sure he will be interested.

Zaph42
April 29th, 2020, 07:26 AM
The only possible problem I see is the increased chance of needing to go to a hospital when you're playing on a Kart track. As long as their hospitals aren't overly taxed now, maybe that's not a problem there.

Yeah, Shawano county where this is has no infections, no deaths and their hospital is empty. (with layoffs unfortunately) They had 8 infections (https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-19/county.htm) as of a month ago, I would assume they are all recovered now.

Oldest son is heading to USAir later this week.

Just got the new set of Bridgestone slicks on the CRF150R last night. Seeing how they compare to the Dunlops he ran last season.

Are you organizing a track day in May/June? I'm sure he will be interested.

Yup, the only thing that keeps me from going earlier is cooler temps and plasticky race tires. This isn't like middleweights where high power and high speeds make it easy to keep heat in tires, I got 9 hp hahaha.

JFMNINJA400
April 29th, 2020, 07:43 AM
That looks like FUN, I would love to rip around on a Z125 or Grom on a go Kart track! You don’t need big HP to enjoy a track day!!!:thumbup:

jkv45
May 4th, 2020, 07:02 AM
About his USAir track day yesterday -

The 150R was stronger than ever with the high compression piston and rebuild. More low-end pull and lifted the front where it didn't before. New Bridgestone slicks as well, but the track was pretty green and a bit slippery in spots. Lap times were 2 seconds quicker than last time out in the fall and under the times for the last race winner.

That's the good news.

The bad news is he chopped a corner too tight, caught the peg on the curb, lifted the rear and low-sided. No big deal except his leg got caught and twisted significantly, which led to a trip to the local ER. Now back at our house waiting to get an appointment with the Ortho Doc. Pretty sore all over. That leg already has a plate in it, and he may need more work.

But the bike isn't too bad....

Zaph42
May 5th, 2020, 09:27 AM
Ouchie I hope he's ok. The curbs there are harsh the way they are ridged. I just kinda stay 2 feet to the inside if possible because when I get a knee down they rip off my puck. (best case - worst case they throw my knee back and toss me off my bike. Both have happened.)

Did he have to call for an ambulance or get to the hospital on his own? Just curious how everything went down. The only injury I ever had there was a sprained thumb when I didn't make a fist on a mild high side.

jkv45
May 5th, 2020, 11:59 AM
Ouchie I hope he's ok. The curbs there are harsh the way they are ridged. I just kinda stay 2 feet to the inside if possible because when I get a knee down they rip off my puck. (best case - worst case they throw my knee back and toss me off my bike. Both have happened.)

Did he have to call for an ambulance or get to the hospital on his own? Just curious how everything went down. The only injury I ever had there was a sprained thumb when I didn't make a fist on a mild high side.
We don't know the extend of the injury yet. He has been trying to get into the local hospital without any luck. I can't believe they can't get him in. He had X-Rays at the small hospital near the track, and no broken bones, but they couldn't do a scan because of the plate in that leg. They didn't tell him much.

He will keep more distance off the curbs next time out - which won't be this season.

No ambulance at the track. He was there with his girlfriend (on her RM80 Sumo) and she drove him to the hospital laying in the back of his Ranger pickup, as he couldn't bend his leg/hip enough to get into the tiny cab. Not a fun ride I'm sure.

DannoXYZ
May 5th, 2020, 12:54 PM
Sorry to hear that, poor kid! They need to smooth out those kerbs!

jkv45
May 5th, 2020, 02:48 PM
Thanks guys. He has been riding since he was about 4, and knows the risks.

We've all been there - and it sucks!

bruce71198
May 7th, 2020, 10:16 AM
USAIR is an awsome track to ride on Ninjas and smaller. Post up a date i'd be interested.