View Full Version : 2016 kawasaki ninja 650 ABS hesitating after 5k rpms in any gear

Jrey
April 29th, 2020, 02:15 PM
Hey
I have a 16 kawasaki ninja 650 ABS 11k miles with full Yoshimura exhaust, K N high flo air filter (1 month old) and power commander V. Oil change and spark plugs done 2 months ago. Recently i road on higher elevation and came back down...rode some more and bike started hesitating, jerking like motion. Any suggestions on what it could be?

ducatiman
April 29th, 2020, 03:18 PM
a bad load of fuel perhaps? I'd purge and change for fresh first thing before digging deeper.

psykown
April 29th, 2020, 03:22 PM
When my Husky TE510 had that issue it was some wiring that had the insulation rubbed off and was grounding out on the frame.

ducatiman
April 29th, 2020, 03:30 PM
keyboard diagnosis so difficult to precisely nail....tantamount to guessing, throwing general possibilities.

faulty wiring issues a bit of a stretch on a '16 650 with just 11K.....no?

psykown
April 29th, 2020, 03:33 PM
keyboard diagnosis so difficult to precisely nail....tantamount to guessing, throwing general possibilities.

faulty wiring issues a bit of a stretch on a '16 650 with just 11K.....no?

Agreed, just stating that I had similar issue with similar mileage (granted with a lot of aggressive offroad and some tracktime)

on the flip side ive never in 6 years or so of riding had an issue with bad gas either or known anyone under the age of 50 or so to have had that issue either lol

psykown
April 29th, 2020, 03:35 PM
actually that year I believe had a stva, i had a similar issue with my GSXR600 and it was that. Might be an easy thing to check?

jkv45
April 29th, 2020, 04:53 PM
Hey
I have a 16 kawasaki ninja 650 ABS 11k miles with full Yoshimura exhaust, K N high flo air filter (1 month old) and power commander V. Oil change and spark plugs done 2 months ago. Recently i road on higher elevation and came back down...rode some more and bike started hesitating, jerking like motion. Any suggestions on what it could be?
Did you gas-up at high elevation?

As ducatiman suggested, I'd start by draining the tank and refilling with fresh gas from your local station.

Easiest thing first.

Having a Power Commander increases the variables if fuel isn't the issue.

DannoXYZ
April 29th, 2020, 08:37 PM
Do you have O2-sensor bypassed?

gantt
April 30th, 2020, 08:50 AM
on my 2012 650, the fuel pump started going out at about 11,000 miles. would lose power at higher rpms. when i pulled the pump i found the filter sock full of dead ants. swapped the filter with no change. i guess the clogged filter starved the pump and killed it. as for the ants?? who knows

ducatiman
April 30th, 2020, 08:56 AM
Ants inside a Kaw 650 fuel pump filter? SO glad I bought the Honda :D

Mohawk
April 30th, 2020, 09:29 AM
Does it do it consistently? When it does it, does it do it in neutral when stationary ?
I had a similar issue on my VFR & it was down to a bad earth, but it only did it randomly, but was consistent when it did.