View Full Version : Ninja 250 360°

kevlarorc
December 14th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I got my friend to go take some photos of my bike and we had some fun with it.
g5AMyB1EyQ0

My favorite part was the HDR photo that we did though.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn197/kevlarorc/HDR3_Small.jpg

Alex
December 14th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Nice job! :thumbup:

overload
December 15th, 2009, 02:43 PM
how the heck did u clean ur bike so nicely it's sparkling :D

bob706
December 15th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Cool video. :thumbup:

kevlarorc
December 15th, 2009, 07:06 PM
how the heck did u clean ur bike so nicely it's sparkling :D

haha. i actually haven't cleaned it since about 120 miles ago. I showed the pic to my dad and he thought it was really dirty but it was actually just the reflection of the gravel on the lower faring. Tomorrow, weather allowing, I'm going to try a better 360 shot with maybe a white background and many more pictures to make it super smooth

CRXTrek
December 15th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Great Vid :thumbup:

rustler753
December 16th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Amigawd, wash it! The precious is so dirty!

Snake
December 21st, 2009, 11:03 AM
Great video!

karlosdajackal
December 22nd, 2009, 08:57 AM
Dude the HDR photo is not great, its soft and I can see a bunch of CA (purple fringe colour) on the exhaust pipe, rear mud guard and ninja lettering. It also has halo along the tree line. Does not seem to have added to the dynamic range at all. More like a tonemap than a HDR. If you like it great but you should be able to do much better.

The 360 in the video was pretty cool however.

kevlarorc
December 22nd, 2009, 09:12 AM
Dude the HDR photo is not great, its soft and I can see a bunch of CA (purple fringe colour) on the exhaust pipe, rear mud guard and ninja lettering. It also has halo along the tree line. Does not seem to have added to the dynamic range at all. More like a tonemap than a HDR. If you like it great but you should be able to do much better.

The 360 in the video was pretty cool however.

I'm not a pro photographer or anything and I'm not good with photoshop so I thought it was pretty darn good considering this is what the original location looked like. http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/9108/location1.th.jpg (http://img189.imageshack.us/i/location1.jpg/)

Also this is only the second HDR I've done so I'm unsure of the difference between HDR and tonemapping as I thought tonemapping was just the process of editing the HDR image. I just merged to HDR in photoshop then used photomatix for tonemapping.

I like that halo along the treeline though :P

karlosdajackal
December 22nd, 2009, 02:26 PM
I'm not a pro photographer or anything and I'm not good with photoshop so I thought it was pretty darn good considering this is what the original location looked like. http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/9108/location1.th.jpg (http://img189.imageshack.us/i/location1.jpg/)

Also this is only the second HDR I've done so I'm unsure of the difference between HDR and tonemapping as I thought tonemapping was just the process of editing the HDR image. I just merged to HDR in photoshop then used photomatix for tonemapping.

I like that halo along the treeline though :P

Funny thing is the original looks way sharper then the photomatix output. What I called CA, appear to actually be yet another halo. If you only used one source image its not a true HDR. HDR is when you take multiple exposures and pull bits out of them as appropriate. Usually you have 3 exposures one for shadows, one for highlights and one normal exposure. After that tone mapping is basically squeezing all that info into a nice small 8bit color space so that we can all see it on the net and our monitors.

I can see from the EXIF on one of your other images that you are using a "KODAK EASYSHARE M763 DIGITAL CAMERA" so its probably not the best thing to use for the job, really you need manual control of exposure to do HDR, an automatic point and shoot camera like that will always try and take a "correct" exposure, while you also need 2 wrong exposures. Don't know if you friend brought a SLR or not or at least something with a Manual option. Shooting in RAW is seen as rather critical for HDR also as you can tweak exposure in RAW easily enough.

So yea you have basically tone mapped a single jpeg using hdr software, and you've overdone it. Some people do like the overdone tonemapped/hdr-esqe style, if you like it thats fine too, just be aware some people really hate that style too. For what its worth the original is underexposed a tad and the tonemap seems to have helped that. Using levels and curves would have done the same thing without the halos and loose of sharpness, but it would also be way more subtle ;)

I rarely shoot HDR, but when i do i try to keep it subtle, so shadows still have to be shadows, highlights still have to be highlights and under no circumstances can there be halo's kinda like this...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3639/3311565709_ca310e7a7b_b.jpg

That was a single exposure taken in RAW on a Canon SLR in Manual mode, then I used a raw converter to bring it down to a -1 exposure for the highlights in the featers and a +1 for the shadows around the eye and underbody, as well as the original. Exported 3 jpegs called minus1.jpg normal.jpg plus1.jpg and used HDR software to combine them and map them. The original looks very flat compared to it and you cant see all the detail or even the outline of the eye. thats the thing with HDR you add detail greater than what the camera can capture in one single shot. Tonemapping is more like a contrast boosting special effect.

For a 2nd attempt its not bad, certainly the halo is not as bad as your first, looking forward to seeing number 3 ;)

kevlarorc
December 22nd, 2009, 10:34 PM
If you only used one source image its not a true HDR. HDR is when you take multiple exposures and pull bits out of them as appropriate. Usually you have 3 exposures one for shadows, one for highlights and one normal exposure. After that tone mapping is basically squeezing all that info into a nice small 8bit color space so that we can all see it on the net and our monitors.
I have several versions. One is three shots and another I fooled around with 6 shots just for the hell of trying it. I think the one in my OP is the 6-exposure pic actually.

I can see from the EXIF on one of your other images that you are using a "KODAK EASYSHARE M763 DIGITAL CAMERA" so its probably not the best thing to use for the job, really you need manual control of exposure to do HDR, an automatic point and shoot camera like that will always try and take a "correct" exposure, while you also need 2 wrong exposures. Don't know if you friend brought a SLR or not or at least something with a Manual option. Shooting in RAW is seen as rather critical for HDR also as you can tweak exposure in RAW easily enough. and yes it was not the easyshare haha. I don't think it was an SLR but it had manual options and we used RAW files.

So yea you have basically tone mapped a single jpeg using hdr software, and you've overdone it.
That pic I posted in my last post is actually just a small JPEG sample of one of the many exposures we took. It's not the raw and untonemapped HDR photo.

And yea, I like the overly edited look for some reason. I know it's a bit overboard. The first HDR photo my sis took at night with a DSLR Canon Rebel somethin-or-other camera but since it wasn't very good lighting it didn't come out with a look that I wanted.
I thought about trying to edit out that green and purple halo stuff around the words and brighter areas but I just didn't care enough to spend the time on it hehe. I'm pretty impacient unless I'm working with video.

ztrack157
December 23rd, 2009, 06:10 PM
so much spinning now I'm dizzy. Nice job though