View Full Version : Someone made a 2 stroke EX500...

Emu
July 18th, 2020, 02:10 PM
LRfyIBiJgZs

Link to the video.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

DannoXYZ
July 18th, 2020, 03:13 PM
Pretty darn cool!

Personally, I think off-the-shelf engines are easiest and simplest. Someone else has already done engineering and hard work ahead of time. Someone's put a Honda CR250 engine in Ninjette. Also RZ350 engine too I think. With turbo! Only saw this being built-up, don't know if it was ever completed.

Also there's 4-part series on YouTube about turbo EX500. Guy supposedly had done numerous ZX10Rs and Hayabusas previously. So EX should be simple.

Triple Jim
July 18th, 2020, 04:53 PM
Oh yeah, he's on the Kaw triples board. We've been talking about it a little. It seems to be a really good design and apparently runs well so far.

http://www.kawi2strokes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14136

DannoXYZ
July 18th, 2020, 05:37 PM
Slipper piston design is cool. Wonder how much rocking there is and how long rings last.

Want to see his MSQ maps. Maybe I'll sign up on Kawi2strokes.

Zaph42
July 18th, 2020, 07:57 PM
Wow. There's unique design elements in that motor that I'm having a hard time understanding but the whole thing is very intriguing.

Emu
July 18th, 2020, 08:29 PM
Wow. There's unique design elements in that motor that I'm having a hard time understanding but the whole thing is very intriguing.

To be honest, I totally understand where you are coming from. The only reason why I can look at what they are doing is because I have been watching another channel called "The Workshop" and this dude talks a LOT about engine design. He is in I think aero space industry or something, he has a mechanical engineering background. He is also obsessed with motorcycles and answers a lot of obscure questions people have about 2 and 4 stroke motors with CAD drawings.

There is a lot going on and the don't show all of their CAD designs because of the patent, obviously they want to sell it to you and not have you replicate it. It's leaves a lot of questions unanswered to those not in the know, and those who do know are more curious about the fine details of operation, stresses, porting, timing, cooling, etc.

Triple Jim
July 18th, 2020, 08:54 PM
There is a lot going on and the don't show all of their CAD designs because of the patent, obviously they want to sell it to you and not have you replicate it.
One of the things a patent does is provide all the drawings and information you need to replicate it. No one will bother you as long as you don't do something like sell copies. That's why companies like Coca Cola don't patent their recipes... it gives them to the world. Instead they keep it a "trade secret" and protect it that way.

Once the patent is issued, get yourself a copy and build your own 2-stroke 500!

Emu
July 18th, 2020, 11:51 PM
Oh you are totally right, I completely forgot about that. The end of the video says patent pending so I misspoke.