View Full Version : What did I do for my Ninja today?

arthury
July 28th, 2020, 02:30 PM
Previous owner installed a super light and small Lithium battery to replace lead/acid battery. Since it is small, there is a lot of room to shift around so I bought an industrial strength velcro and attached to the bottom. Nice and secured now!

DannoXYZ
July 28th, 2020, 03:08 PM
Be careful about those small lithiums.
Never make mistake I did and leave lights on without bike running...

arthury
July 28th, 2020, 03:20 PM
Yup, thanks for the warning.

DannoXYZ
July 28th, 2020, 03:45 PM
Those lithium batteries use LiFeCO4 (lithium-iron) chemistry and has much, much higher output current than lithium-cobalt batteries used in laptops. They don't have thermal-runaway issues laptop batteries have either. However, for size, they have less capacity.

Along with most of them not having over-discharge protection means you can run them down very quickly. I used one on my race-bike for years without any issues. One great benefit is no self-discharge like lead-acid batteries. I left it over winter out in cold and 6-months later, it started up bike just fine! :)

Then I got similar lithium battery for race-bike and moved old lithium to street bike. However, one time I parked in driveway and walked down to get mail. Talked to neighbor for 5-10 minutes max. When I came back, I found I had left headlights ON! Drained battery down past recharge point. It was dead, pakut! Couldn't charge it back up.

I've been searching for lithium battery that has over-discharge protection and it doesn't appear anyone makes one. I'll just add an external cut-off circuit that'll disconnect battery when it drops to critically low voltage.

arthury
July 28th, 2020, 04:14 PM
I would have to check which type I have.
Brand Name = BatteryTender.

Triple Jim
July 28th, 2020, 05:03 PM
One great benefit is no self-discharge like lead-acid batteries. I left it over winter out in cold and 6-months later, it started up bike just fine! :)

I've never had a battery in my H2 prevent it from starting, no matter how long it was parked, even if I left the headlight on and ran the battery down to zero. :)

Kawinoob217
September 1st, 2020, 09:24 AM
Quick question to the OP regarding the lithium battery. Do you by chance know how much lighter it is than the OEM lead acid?

arthury
September 1st, 2020, 09:25 AM
Quick question to the OP regarding the lithium battery. Do you by chance know how much lighter it is than the OEM lead acid?

I did not really weigh it but by hand, it felt like it is, at least, 1/3 lighter ... may be more.
But, it's physically smaller so you need to attached industrial-strength velcro so it does not shift around.

DannoXYZ
September 1st, 2020, 10:10 AM

Saves about 7-8 lbs over stock depending upon whether you had flooded cells or AGM battery.