View Full Version : Kawasaki ninja stalls when put in gear - 2004 ZX10R

Bigdave2603
September 3rd, 2020, 11:36 PM
Hi,
I've been looking at my friends ninja which keeps stalling when put in gear

You can start the bike fine but as soon as you pull the clutch in and then put it in any gear it very slightly jerks forward then stalls.
So we've read some other comments and everyone says it's the kickstand switch, so we took the switch out the equation by twisting the wires together and this worked for one short ride then stopped again and doing the same thing, so we checked the temporary repair and it was fine.
So again reading comments the next thing was the switch on the clutch handle, so we did the same temporary repair and still having the problem.
We have tested both switches using a multimeter and they both work fine, we have chases the cables back to the ECU under the seat as best we can, but the wiring go inside a box that has security screws which can't be taken out.
Now we're abit stuck on what to try next, anybhepp would be great.
Thanks
Dave

Bigdave2603
September 3rd, 2020, 11:39 PM
Hi,

You can start the bike fine but as soon as you pull the clutch in and then put it in any gear it very slightly jerks forward then stalls.
So we've read some other comments and everyone says it's the kickstand switch, so we took the switch out the equation by twisting the wires together and this worked for one short ride then stopped again and doing the same thing, so we checked the temporary repair and it was fine.
So again reading comments the next thing was the switch on the clutch handle, so we did the same temporary repair and still having the problem.
We have tested both switches using a multimeter and they both work fine, we have chases the cables back to the ECU under the seat as best we can, but the wiring go inside a box that has security screws which can't be taken out.
Thanks
Dave

subxero
September 4th, 2020, 12:05 AM
:welcome: Bigdave2603! Glad to have you aboard...

jkv45
September 4th, 2020, 06:07 AM
Hi,

Thanks
Dave
Sounds like the clutch cable is not adjusted properly to me.

Because it "jerks" as you drop it in gear, with the clutch in, it would suggest the trans is not disengaged as it should be with the clutch pulled in.

If it just quit without any movement I would expect a switch.

Alex
September 4th, 2020, 09:04 AM
What year is his 250? We can move this thread into the main technical area for the right bike, and you'll be likely to get the best feedback.

Kowalski
September 4th, 2020, 10:16 AM
Is the neutral light on when it stalls?

DannoXYZ
September 4th, 2020, 12:06 PM

Let’s break this up onto individual steps:

1. Start bike in neutral. OK?
2. Squeeze clutch lever. Still running OK?
3. Shift into 1st. Running still?

Clutch lever has 3-wires. Which 2 did you short together?

Bigdave2603
September 5th, 2020, 05:50 AM
Ill send him a message and ask what year the bike is

Start in neutral and its fine
Pull the clutch in and still fine
Shift into first and it stalls

The clutch switch is only 2 wire

Thanks

DannoXYZ
September 5th, 2020, 08:54 AM
While there may be only two wires coming out of clutch switch, there’s actually 3-wires going into it (#4).

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1oPDYW_UGPgZEgu5mmdcrl6GJTRj033-s

There’s one output Y/G that can send one of two earth inputs depending upon clutch lever position. It’s logic OR circuit. Output Y/G is connected to LG input OR it’s connected to BK/Y input.

1. By default with clutch lever out, switch sends signal from LG neutral-sensor out Y/G. This is grounded and says “safe” when gear-selector is in neutral. When you shift out of neutral, LG is no longer earthed and “safe” signal is no longer sent out Y/G.

2. With clutch lever in/squeezed, switch connects BK/Y (chassis ground) to output Y/G. This sends “safe” signal out Y/G regardless of gearbox selection. You can start and run bike in any gear with clutch-lever squeezed.

Now what you’ve done by shorting two wires from clutch-switch is permanently wired it into out/released position. The status of Y/G output is only grounded/“safe” when gear is in neutral. As soon as you shift into gear, LG is no longer grounded, output Y/G is no longer grounded to signal “safe”. Then ECU kills engine.

You can test this out yourself with engine off. Measure continuity/resistance from your clutch-switch bypass-joint to chassis-ground (frame, bolt-head, battery negative) . You’ll see that it doesn’t change regardless of clutch-lever position, but does change with neutral indicator. When gearbox shifts out of neutral, your clutch-switch splice will no longer be earthed.

Another test: shift into 1st-gear, squeeze clutch lever and start bike. It doesn’t start right? Shows clutch-switch bypass isn’t done correctly.

What you really want to do is connect clutch output wire Y/G to chassis-ground BK/Y. That’s 3rd wire on clutch-switch getting earth from horn-button. Or run ground-wire from frame-bolt and connect to Y/G wire. Now bike will start in 1st-gear with lever squeezed. Or even without lever squeezed, but I don’t recommend that. It’s not safe starting bike in-gear. This is only temporary troubleshooting measure.

Bigdave2603
September 6th, 2020, 03:48 AM
Thanks for the replys

The bike is a zx10r 2004, 600cc
Ill try grounding the output wire as a temporary trouble shooting

Thanks

Triple Jim
September 6th, 2020, 05:15 AM
The bike is a zx10r 2004, 600cc

No such motorcycle.

ducatiman
September 6th, 2020, 06:09 AM