View Full Version : Any options for lighter wheels?

dmonaco05
June 12th, 2009, 08:15 AM
hey i did a quick search but couldnt find anything, does anyone make wheels that are lighter?

Ohh Snap
June 12th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I don't think there is anything out yet.

Please correct me if im wrong.

Daeldren
June 12th, 2009, 03:53 PM
What, you want some magnesium Marchesini rims. If your that obsessed about weight savings I suppose you could get some custom rims made but your talking about them costing more than the bike itself. If I remember correctly they can start at like $5,000.00

There are a few companies that make rims with thinner aluminum which will shave a few pounds and they aren't as expensive but your still talking about a grand for a set.

kkim
June 12th, 2009, 04:02 PM
yep, what's the purpose?

wyckedflesh
June 12th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Carbon Fiber for about $2500 a set...

dmonaco05
June 13th, 2009, 08:24 AM
haha not looking for custom made wheels just wondering if any other bikes wheels would fit and were lighter, guess not

Ohh Snap
June 13th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Ill sell you my Works :D

wyckedflesh
June 13th, 2009, 09:43 AM
haha not looking for custom made wheels just wondering if any other bikes wheels would fit and were lighter, guess not

For OEM wheels, ours are already pretty much the lightest out there due to size. If you find something lighter, it may only be by an ounce or two.

Betlog
December 29th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Do you guys know of any lighter wheels we can use on our bikes? I have the 2nd gen btw ('09).

kkim
December 29th, 2009, 12:35 PM
you could most likely get a set custom made for 1/2 the price of the cost of a brand new 250, but the question is, why? :confused:

Betlog
December 29th, 2009, 12:40 PM
why? :confused:

To decrease rotational mass. It's the same reason I am reluctant to go with a 150 if there is a 140 option for the tire I want.

kkim
December 29th, 2009, 12:47 PM
unless you are already riding the bike at 100% of it's potential or racing it and find the wheel weight to be a problem, I would think you could spend 2k on some much other needed items than lighter wheels.

it's your money and I know you didn't ask, but from a suspension hardware standpoint, I would look at better tires as the first step, followed by improved suspension.

Betlog
December 29th, 2009, 12:59 PM
unless you are already riding the bike at 100% of it's potential or racing it and find the wheel weight to be a problem, I would think you could spend 2k on some much other needed items than lighter wheels.

it's your money and I know you didn't ask, but from a suspension hardware standpoint, I would look at better tires as the first step, followed by improved suspension.

Oh, I agree. I'm just curious. :thumbup: I haven't done any mods to my bike yet... she's a week old. But so far I have the following planned, in order:
- Shogun sliders (package arrived today!)
- Fender chop
- Seat cowl
- DJ jet kit
- Area P full exhaust (standard)
- WC clip-ons

I plan on replacing the tires somewhere within the above.

Rayme
December 29th, 2009, 01:02 PM
fill the tires with helium :) lol

Alex
December 29th, 2009, 01:27 PM
The people racing these bikes don't fit lighter wheels to them, they just aren't heavy enough stock to make a difference. In fact, if they make any changes, it's to spread them wider (and heavier) to better fit different sized tires to it. Though that was more common on the pregens than the new-gens, as far as I can tell.

Momaru
December 29th, 2009, 02:50 PM
On a small tangent, looking at your other planned mods Betlog, user currentsea just posted a DJ kit for sale at a bargain price in the marketplace (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35226).

Betlog
December 29th, 2009, 03:40 PM
The people racing these bikes don't fit lighter wheels to them, they just aren't heavy enough stock to make a difference. In fact, if they make any changes, it's to spread them wider (and heavier) to better fit different sized tires to it. Though that was more common on the pregens than the new-gens, as far as I can tell.

Thanks that's good to know!

Betlog
December 29th, 2009, 03:41 PM
On a small tangent, looking at your other planned mods Betlog, user currentsea just posted a DJ kit for sale at a bargain price in the marketplace (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35226).

Sweet! :thumbup:

HKr1
December 30th, 2009, 02:16 PM

Most classes wont let you race with other than stock rims. Wider would be nice :)

We went with some Marchesini's on the other bike, what a diff/better feel in steering.... Be kinda cool having some for the 250r, give it that 250gp look :D

ztrack157
December 30th, 2009, 03:31 PM
The price on aftermarket rims for the 250 is not worth it. About $1800 not including shipping.

675Raisinator
November 29th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Does anyone know if they make em?

Alex
November 29th, 2011, 04:39 PM
/merged with a couple other "lighter wheels" threads. :thumbup:

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much availability on wheels that would be significantly lighter than the OEM's.

Jiggles
November 29th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Put some scooter rims and wheels on

cuong-nutz
November 29th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Does anyone know if they make em?

Not worth it brother. You're better off going with a 415 chain/sprocket combo. Less rotational mass = super duper fast acceleration! Just be advised that the chain's o-ring-less and will stretch a good bit the first race.

675Raisinator
November 29th, 2011, 06:04 PM
well **** a duck im sorry man

andylawcc
November 29th, 2011, 07:38 PM
lol at wannabe racer.

675Raisinator
November 30th, 2011, 11:34 AM
thnx for making me feel welcome man

Momaru
November 30th, 2011, 12:56 PM
lol at wannabe racer.

Oi, play nice hey?

We try hard to be civil around here and welcome everyone, especially the track folks. All 'real' racers and track rats were wannabe's first ;)

andylawcc
November 30th, 2011, 01:41 PM
sorry for being harsh, I admit that was uncalled for. But one must question OP's intention, do you really want to pay $3000> to shave 5 ounces off unsprung mass? Often times ppl think money and upgrade equipment will solve all problem, when you can stay healthy and exercise to cut those extra pounds.

alex.s
November 30th, 2011, 01:43 PM
dont mod your bike, mod your self

just dont be one of those lame "Mod"s... rockers for life, yall

Momaru
November 30th, 2011, 01:47 PM
No argument here guys, I'm all for doing both. Keep both yourself and your machine in the best shape you can.

Just don't cut out civility :p it's a little 'extra' that goes a long way.

675Raisinator
November 30th, 2011, 05:24 PM
sorry for being harsh, I admit that was uncalled for. But one must question OP's intention, do you really want to pay $3000> to shave 5 ounces off unsprung mass? Often times ppl think money and upgrade equipment will solve all problem, when you can stay healthy and exercise to cut those extra pounds.

im 165 bro in the best shape of my life ...pretty much ... i get your point but i didnt realize upgrade wheels provide such a negligible performance gain... i have a lot of money to put in the bike but im also a pragmatic dude... if it doesnt make sense ill spend the money on other things (like girls and risky penny stock trades)

alex.s
November 30th, 2011, 05:43 PM
im a firm believer that better throttle and bike control will do you better than minor performance mods. however if you've got cash burning a hole in your pocket i know there are plenty of people willing to take it

SPG
December 1st, 2011, 09:22 AM
For racing, the easiest way to cut weight from the rear is a 415 chain conversion (2 pounds?) and run a 120/70 race compound rear tire (3 pounds).

A 18/55 ratio and 134 link chain is working well for me.

If you have extra money, get a rear shock with adjustable ride height (Penske, Racetech, or Ohlin) and dial it way up. Part of the lift (5-6mm will make up for the smaller rear tire, and the rest helps the bike finish the corner a lot better).

After that, fork cartridges or emulators would be a good step.

-Sean

Rexbo
December 2nd, 2011, 09:41 AM
For racing, the easiest way to cut weight from the rear is a 415 chain conversion (2 pounds?) and run a 120/70 race compound rear tire (3 pounds).

A 18/55 ratio and 134 link chain is working well for me.

If you have extra money, get a rear shock with adjustable ride height (Penske, Racetech, or Ohlin) and dial it way up. Part of the lift (5-6mm will make up for the smaller rear tire, and the rest helps the bike finish the corner a lot better).

After that, fork cartridges or emulators would be a good step.

-Sean

+1 to this.

How much longer did you end up adjusting your rear shock? I'm looking at a zx14 rear shock right now, its about the right spring rate, and 18mm longer than stock... might be too high but I guess I could always raise the front end back up a little if its too much. Gotta love eBay!

SPG
December 2nd, 2011, 07:09 PM
With the small rear tire and my fork tubes showing 16mm above the triple, I think I'm about +14 in length and am tempted to try more, but I just cant imagine it getting any sharper and more planted than it already is. I'll probably try anyway. I made a new clevis for my Racetech shock which is 10mm longer than the stock RT one, so I've got a little left to play with.

Racetech put my bike on their computer alignment jig and came up with the following numbers: Rear shock 331mm, swingarm angle 9.1 deg, rake 25.5 deg, trail 80.6mm. They did measure the rear shock on the bike, so there is a little margin for error, but it's pretty close.

Let me know how the zx-14 shock works.

-Sean