View Full Version : Anyone removed left hand controls

whylee
December 30th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I am setting up my bike for the track and have removed all lights and installed race plastic. I want to remove the switch controls on the left bar but I need to mount the choke lever somehow. Anyone have any ideas on mounting a choke lever, this bike will not start without it when cold.

HKr1
December 30th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Some bicycle shifter levers look kinda nice, think a few people have gone that way.
We always changed carbs, then had to reach down in there if the choke was needed.

whylee
December 30th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I will look into the bicycle shifter idea

RaceBikeRentals
December 30th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Careful.... Production rules require those switches to be left in place.

whylee
January 1st, 2010, 01:27 AM
Im sure the rules stated the headlight, turn signal and horn switch could be removed but the throttle and kill switch had to remain stock. That was from the AFM rule book.

Yep, just double checked the rules and it states you can remove the left handle bar switch controls. Maybe thats not for all clubs, but for AFM its legal.
But I am interested in a set of your rearsets for my bikes.

ROADandTRACK
January 2nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
We run safety wire from the choke out to the left side of the bike w/ a rubber/aluminum grommet on the end of it. Use that to engage choke and then it will never get stuck on; and there is less on the left bar to have to mess w/ if you crash.

whylee
January 2nd, 2010, 06:12 PM
So the choke is spring loaded, you dont have to push it in to disengage.

ROADandTRACK
January 5th, 2010, 04:07 PM
nope

2WheelGuy
January 12th, 2010, 05:06 PM
We run safety wire from the choke out to the left side of the bike w/ a rubber/aluminum grommet on the end of it. Use that to engage choke and then it will never get stuck on; and there is less on the left bar to have to mess w/ if you crash.

That is what I do except I use coat hanger wire and just bend a loop in the end to pull on.

CopperKid
August 25th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I am setting up my bike for the track and have removed all lights and installed race plastic. I want to remove the switch controls on the left bar but I need to mount the choke lever somehow. Anyone have any ideas on mounting a choke lever, this bike will not start without it when cold.

This video might come in handy for you left control removal.

sqjT2u1OpIU

Rexbo
August 26th, 2012, 10:10 AM

or a brightly colored high-temp zip tie :thumbup:

slolee
August 26th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I had FasterMotorSports in Denver set up my bike and we removed the left hand controls. They left me with the choke cable which I had to pull by hand. Very awkward and it wouldn't hold open because of the spring. I found a choke lever and mounted it on the stays for my windshield. Works great. Here is the info: I got it from Italy. 10.30 EU Easy to deal with. redracingparts.com:thumbup:

htdub
August 26th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I did mine today. Been meaning to get around too it. Removed the controls, left the 2 wire connector for the clutch lever.

For the clutch cable, I ran a safety wire to the choke bracket, mine is spring loaded. Ran a bright blue zip tie to make a easy loop.

Pretty simple mod (idiot level for me), didn't have to remove the entire tank, just propped it up with a 2x4.