View Full Version : Fast blinking turn signal

austexjg
December 30th, 2009, 02:45 PM
'01 - The right side blinker flashes really fast, the left side is normal. Both the front and the rear lights are operating (they work/blink), but the right side flashes fast as if a light is out, but it's not.
The mods - smoked rear taillight and signals (bought off ebay) that were a complete component, and just added Asian Cycle flush front signals. The bike also has a blue LED kit (previous owner).
The first flash is at normal speed, but the second one starts flashing quickly.

Any ideas?

Verus Cidere
December 30th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Check the wiring and the bulbs. I heard somewhere that the faster flashing happens when it's about to go out as well to give you a sort of a warning. Don't quote me on that because I'm not sure, but I heard it somewhere. Also, if it's not very well connected, it might be fooling it into thinking it's not connected because there's so little connection. I'm no expert though, and those are the only possibilities I could think of. Good luck figuring it out. :D

komohana
December 30th, 2009, 04:16 PM
i've heard a number of problems that could cause this.

it may be an indication that the flasher may be going out.
(don't know where this is on our bikes, or if something similar)

i'd recheck that the bulbs are not loose, sockets for corrosion and wiring connections.

also heard different rated bulbs can do this but dunno bout that.

if it worked fine till yer last mod...start hunting there.
good luck

austexjg
December 30th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Well the bike came with no front blinkers - it may have started when the rear was replaced, but unsure because the fronts were out and I don't remember the flasher going fast on the console when I used the blinkers before adding the new front flush mount signals.
Guess I have some wire hunting to do for loose connections, but I don't think there are any? What a weird problem - to bad I can't leave well enough alone...

CRXTrek
December 30th, 2009, 05:33 PM
a lower wattage bulb will flash faster with the stock turn signal relay
you may need an electronic turn sig relay with your choice of lights

Grn99Kawi
December 30th, 2009, 05:48 PM
a fast blink does mean that a bulb is out.. pull out the front bulb.. see if the speed drops to normal.. then do the same for the rear at least to isolate where the problem is.. hopefully..

austexjg
December 30th, 2009, 05:48 PM
That's weird because the light bulbs are the same on the left as the right - front ones match and the rear ones match (same package).

rockNroll
December 31st, 2009, 09:59 AM
That's weird because the light bulbs are the same on the left as the right - front ones match and the rear ones match (same package).

Swap the bulbs then, left to right. Do one end first (front or rear) and try them, then the other end... see if the quick flash follows a bulb.

Grn99Kawi
December 31st, 2009, 10:03 AM
My AC flushmounts were great for about a week, and then the fuse started blowing.. for some reason on one side there was a small piece of metal under the bulb that was shorting the contacts together and blowing the fuse. I pulled it out and all was well.

I know that you arent blowing fuses, but take a good look in there.. 'stuff' happens sometimes.

Adam

austexjg
December 31st, 2009, 10:46 AM
Will do on these things. It's my brothers bike - I gave him the flush fronts for Christmas.
The rear was just the replacing of the lens covers, but the wires look like they have been spliced for some odd reason?
When he rewired the blinkers (left side to right side - opposite) and now the left side starts to blink fast - could it be the spliced wires? He is going to try to redo the connection (spliced) and see if it helps.