View Full Version : KLR Stuff

Apex
October 26th, 2020, 02:41 PM
After joining the KLR ranks, convos get interesting. No longer are the little mod questions that the 250 always got, but now it is open to a whole truckload of questions.

One of the most common debates is "WHAT OIL"? People run all the way from Lucas oil, Motul, Royal Purple, etc.....all the way down to ROTELLA. Yes my ninjette family, ROTELLA. Now...I am not opposed to it, as I actually have a 5-qt jug in my shed outside. I contemplated it bc I was running low on oil one day (yes, the mid-80's designed engine does in fact burn oil and I have to check the level every fuel fill up). got the Rotella, only to find out I didn't give it enough time for the oil to settle. I was on the lower end of my oil, but I was still good enough to get back to my place and top it off with the same oil I run.

I have heard of people getting 90K out of the stock engine, even using Rotella. So I don't know. lol

Anyway. I just wanted to share some of my KLR shenanigans. I love the bike, but honestly, even the 250 blows it away on the highway. The KLR, you gotta baby, you have to take care of it. The Ninja....dang, just ride the sucker. The 250, easy valve adjustments with the turn of a screw and some feeler gauges. The KLR uses these discs between the cam and the valves. JOY. I have to go and tackle my adjustments soon.

Still, love the bike. Cannot wait to get a jet kit and a FMF exhaust. SOON.

How is everyone else's ride going?

Triple Jim
October 27th, 2020, 05:53 AM
Discussions about what oil is best transcend vehicle type, brand, and age, and are normally a complete waste of time.

I just bought a new Yamaha MT-07, and the manual says to use Yamalube 10w-40 in my climate. Not synthetic in particular. They sell both conventional and synthetic, but it just says 10w-40. I got a warm fuzzy feeling about Yamaha when I read that they aren't into mystical properties of oil.

ducatiman
October 27th, 2020, 06:37 AM

Zaph42
October 28th, 2020, 05:00 PM

Will be the first post I like when I finally get to 1000 posts and am able to like posts.

The funny thing about KLRs... the only ones that burn oil are the ones that are broken in "properly". You want a KLR that doesn't burn oil, you have to beat the piss out of it when it's new, wring its neck hard and often and then drop the oil at 50 miles.

The piston rings don't set if you ride it easy and then you are stuck with an oil burner for the rest of it's life. Heavily documented at ADVrider and a couple other forums, the KLR is the absolute best bike to show the benefits of hard breakin vs soft breakin.

At this point however if it's an oil burner just buy the cheapest crap you can get. You are wasting your money with anything else.

Triple Jim
October 28th, 2020, 07:36 PM
Will be the first post I like when I finally get to 1000 posts and am able to like posts.

There, I did it for you. :)