View Full Version : So Cal Azusa Twisties Saturday 16th

00v_Lucky
January 3rd, 2010, 03:16 PM
I have never been to Azusa yet but I hear from a lot of riders that this is a very twisty technical road compared to ACH's more long sweeping corners. Everyone is invited but I recommend that you should have at least 5k miles under your belt. I will say this again, this is a very challenging road, therefore, I will not be going fast compared to some of you Rossi riders on this board :p

Minor change of plans, we will be meeting off of the 210 and 39 at the Shell/Del Taco
(See Post #9 from Beast)
To clear up any confusion, we will still be meeting at the SHELL GAS STATION and then ride out from there.

For this first ride, we will be going from Azusa to GMR (due to the number of riders that have not done a canyon run, esp. on GMR). After we get a feel for the difficulty of these roads, we will always have chance do another route some other day in the future.

Before you come I recommend wearing full protection gloves,jacket,pants/1pc suit, and ankle protective footwear.

Check your tire pressure and fill your tank prior to the meet. (fyi, I will check my tire pressure once more before going into the twisties so I can provide a gauge if you do not have one but it isnt the greatest quality :o)

11 am sounds a tad bit too late, so how does 10 am sound?

KickStandsUp @ 10:15 So try and come earlier than 10 please.

If any of you have additional information, I will update this thread as we go along.

Riders:
00v_Lucky
Currentsea
Zombiphone
Beast
Andrewexd
Ninja250
iggysmalls
diablo250
samuel913
Adri99an <- Our Travel Guide/Park Ranger :)

Maybe: Kurosaki

Maybe Next Time!: pedaltothemetal
Wow this is filling up fast!This is going to be a nice group of ninjettes :P

currentsea
January 3rd, 2010, 03:18 PM
I'm in.

00v_Lucky
January 3rd, 2010, 03:21 PM
I'm in.

Sweet, hope to see you soon JR! I wanna see that sexy white bike in person :D

Beast
January 3rd, 2010, 05:47 PM
I believe I'm in for next next Saturday. That'll be TWO sexy whites....although you've seen mine already Howard :)

Also, usually people just meet at the Shell RIGHT off the 210 at the Azusa exit. You can see it from the freeway. I haven't ridden GMR either and I'm excited. The "regular" San Gabriel Canyon Road is not all that exciting...9 miles and it's a dead end. You're done after that. I hope the weather holds up. Today was a beautiful day.

Zombiphone
January 3rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
Damn, the starting point's about 40 miles away for me, but this sounds like a fun ride so I don't mind making the effort.

I'm in as long as I don't sleep in and the weather permits. But as a bit of a disclaimer, I tend to take it easy on unfamiliar roads, so I'm not guaranteeing I'll keep up >_<

What's the route going to look like?

currentsea
January 3rd, 2010, 06:29 PM
Hey Zombiphone, don't worry, I'll be in the back with you. I tend to take it a little easy on roads I've never traveled.

40 miles :P Alex and I are coming from Santa Barbara, around 110 miles away. But I plan on hanging out with some friends down there anyway.

Yeah, let's post some route details so I can Streetview :)

currentsea
January 3rd, 2010, 06:41 PM
Can't wait to see your awesome bikes and your awesome faces

00v_Lucky
January 3rd, 2010, 06:46 PM
I believe I'm in for next next Saturday. That'll be TWO sexy whites....although you've seen mine already Howard :)

lol stop teasin' me Chris. but could you please post the exact location of that shell gas station? For some reason I cannot locate it :confused:

I did not post the route only because, I was not too sure on which route it will be. (I am going to need your guys' help with this event)

Beast
January 3rd, 2010, 07:30 PM
Tiffani, J.R. (and Howard) I'm with you guys too. GMR is new to me and I'd like to familiarize myself with it first :)

Tiffani, don't worry, I'm coming from about the same distance away since I'm in Burbank. J.R, I feel for you haha.

lol stop teasin' me Chris. but could you please post the exact location of that shell gas station? For some reason I cannot locate it :confused:

I did not post the route only because, I was not too sure on which route it will be. (I am going to need your guys' help with this event)

FROM THIS EXIT off the 210
http://www.thebeastisback.com/files/ninja250/azusa_exit.png

Turn left at the off ramp and after you pass under the freeway, it's on your right. Lots more space to meet up :)

The Shell
http://www.thebeastisback.com/files/ninja250/shell.png

andrewexd
January 3rd, 2010, 07:33 PM
im in. I swear i wont crash this time lol.

00v_Lucky
January 3rd, 2010, 08:00 PM
Dang it Chris, lol on the maps it only registered as a del taco!~ ha okay, ill change it.

adri99an
January 3rd, 2010, 08:10 PM
The 16th I'm pretty much in. I do the Azusa/GMR ride all the time. There are a few routes we can take but it is a lot of fun.

Ride 1: enter through the Azusa Canyon.....ride through some small twisties.....to east fork...head across......stop for a cold one (coffee shop)....continue up into GMR backside...nice twisties here...a little muddy from the past rain.... to rest the infamous rest stop (Glendora Mountain Road/Glendora Mountain Ridge) From there---you can ride to Mount Baldy (single lane...may be some snow--really cold but fun) or you can go up GMR which has a TON of twisties and corners......rest stop (to catch your breath--check out the views) then continue down GMR with more SEVERE twisties--a few 180 degree turns to the bottom and end up in Glendora.

or Ride 2 which is the opposite of ride #1 where you start from the bottom of GMR in Glendora. I usually go this way--since I live closer to this end.

Ride #1 is great because when you start off in Azusa--the twisties are small and is sort of a warm up for you and your bike....you know to get your lean on.

One thing I don't like about the weekends though are all the cars and a few idiots driving too fast on the wrong side of the lane sometimes.......

If you need any other information--let me know as I ride this ALL the time.....my wife gets mad because I spend too much time with the twisities and believe me I am NO road demon....I like to take them nice and smooth--I have 2 small children and don't need to show off for anyone......Always Ride Your Own Ride......

ninja250
January 3rd, 2010, 08:11 PM
I'm there!

I won't be trying to race/mess around with anybody. No funny stuff from me I promise. :thumbup: Just out to meet some other 250 riders and have a good time in the hills.

Since I have a camera going I wouldn't mind following up the rear to get some footage of you guys.

00v_Lucky
January 3rd, 2010, 08:12 PM
This is one of the "GMR" routes that people take but, since we are meeting so close to Glendora Ridge mountain way, we could also follow Glendora Ridge until it joins into GMR. Thoughts?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=106+South+Azusa+Avenue+Azusa,+CA+91702-4555&daddr=Glendora+Mountain+Rd+%4034.147010,+-117.837940+to:Glendora+Mountain+Rd+to:Glendora+Mountain+Rd&geocode=%3BFcIKCQIdjO_5-A%3BFaHTCQIdBN_5-A%3BFYZKCgId4PD6-A&hl=EN&mra=ls&via=2&sll=34.121522,-117.906969&sspn=0.001024,0.001725&ie=UTF8&ll=34.163523,-117.844505&spn=0.129824,0.220757&t=h&z=12

I am not quite sure how to embed it into the thread tho. :confused: the C&P from google is not working :mad:

Beast
January 3rd, 2010, 08:18 PM
Adrian: I think you should be the guide. I'm not familiar with how to get to which roads and I'm sure howard isn't either :) Personally, I'd like to avoid Azusa Canyon unless we have to ride through it to get to our destination (as you stated).

ninja250 I saw your iphone video in the other thread. No drifting across the center divide to avoid bicyclists when we go up! :) It will only spell disaster on a busier road like this.

Howard: I'm not familiar with ...GRM? Haha. I still vote that Adrian be our guide.

adri99an
January 3rd, 2010, 08:30 PM
You guys want to start in GMR? That's not a problem---we can go slow so you can feel out the road. Starting at the base of GMR is challenging but exciting and no one says you have ride up it a million miles an hour like I see some guys---it's not a race!@!@

Starting in Azusa is still a good idea for those who like open road with some small twisties.
Yeah the cars get in the way (stupid cars) but like I said--it's a nice little warm up before hitting GMR which is difficult if it's your first time. I remember my first time--I thought wow- lots of blind turns. Let me know what you guys decide--I have no problem being the lead since I am up GMR a lot---I road GMR for the last 4 days---it was heavenly man!!!

Beast
January 3rd, 2010, 08:31 PM
Azusa to GMR it is :) Nothing wrong with a warm up!

adri99an
January 3rd, 2010, 09:08 PM
If we start at the base of GMR---we would meet up somewhere around the 210/Lone Hill which is only 5-8 minutes from the Azusa exit that Howard mapped out.

The GMR ride is much sweeter starting from the base of GMR---you get the whole GMR experience. It's very different from starting in from Azusa canyon as you are coming up the "back way"---

I'd be interested to hear what people want to experience. Azusa to GMR to the base of GMR without stopping to smell the roses--is about 30-45 minute solo ride. A group ride probably takes longer.

We could always start at GMR and just do GMR without even setting rubber in Azusa--but some people may want to see it all---and going to Mt. Balby--that may be for another day or the same day--depends on how much time you have.

Can't wait to see the WHITE 250R---- makes my bike feel like a moped.

00v_Lucky
January 3rd, 2010, 09:08 PM
Azusa to GMR it is :) Nothing wrong with a warm up!

+1:thumbup:

pedaltothemetal
January 3rd, 2010, 09:55 PM
I'll be there if I don't have a scooter club ride on that day. I am free on weekdays too!
Please PM if anybody is going up there on a weekday.
BTW I have been up there on a 10 speed 20 years ago but not motorcycle! There used to be a cafe coming back down the west side. Is that still there?

Zombiphone
January 3rd, 2010, 10:16 PM
And here I was whining about 40 miles. That's dedication :D I don't feel so bad as long as I won't be the only one taking it easy.

I'll third Azusa to GMR if it's a somewhat easier start. I always feel more comfortable after a warm-up of sorts. Better to ease my mind into canyon mode than to throw it straight into gear :) What would that route look like?

Ummmm, on that note, I've never actually been on a group ride before, so not sure how these things generally tend to work. Specifically, do you guys generally make a rest stop or anything at the end of the designated route? Errr, is there anywhere to actually make a rest stop at the end of this? or is it straight riding up and, I assume, a u-turn back down the same route? I suppose it might still be too early to say, since the route hasn't been finalized yet. I'm fine either way, as I don't typically dismount until the end of my travels, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how these things go.

Now I'm all excited. I look forward to meeting you guys in person ^_^

edit: Ah, I completely overlooked the rest stops noted in the description for "Ride #1" ^^; Just answered my own question. That one sounds like a great ride and probably better to get a chance to cool down a bit between some more intense twisties.

Beast
January 3rd, 2010, 10:41 PM
Adrian, if coming from Azusa leads us to the back-side of GMR, I heard it's VERY technical. I'd rather attack it from the front rather than the back. I didn't know which route led to where :)

Can't wait to see the WHITE 250R---- makes my bike feel like a moped.

PEARL white...and flat black. And yes, feelings of inadequacy will ensue ;) JK.

Ummmm, on that note, I've never actually been on a group ride before, so not sure how these things generally tend to work. Specifically, do you guys generally make a rest stop or anything at the end of the designated route? Errr, is there anywhere to actually make a rest stop at the end of this? or is it straight riding up and, I assume, a u-turn back down the same route? I suppose it might still be too early to say, since the route hasn't been finalized yet. I'm fine either way, as I don't typically dismount until the end of my travels, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how these things go.
It's quite smooth since we all know that this group ride isn't a race. Some of us will get ahead while others will trot along at their own pace. 30 minutes without a break goes by quickly. Angeles Crest from the base to Newcomb's Ranch is about the same. You'll be so focused on the road that by the time things come to stop, you'll be saying "We're there already!?!"

The leader of the group will usually signal and pull over and other's will follow suite. You'll be able to see this stop way ahead of time and pull over as well.

Also, sometimes a cool down is good, sometimes it ruins your mental momentum :) One you get into a groove it's actually harder to just "take a break" mid-adrenaline rush hehe.

andrewexd
January 4th, 2010, 12:37 AM
last time I went, we stopped at the top of GMR, there was a bunch of bikes lined up there.

kkim
January 4th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Hey, Chris... where's Ken these days? :confused:

ninja250
January 4th, 2010, 07:05 AM
last time I went, we stopped at the top of GMR, there was a bunch of bikes lined up there.

Yeah I think that is the spot where it has the three way split between East Fork, Glendora Mountain Road and Glendora Ridge Road. I almost stopped last time to chat with all the bikes but was following that gsxr out and was on my way home coming in.

Glendora Ridge Road is the one lane portion. East fork is two lanes and so is Glendora Mountain Road. I would not recommend the one lane portion for a group ride. It's wide enough to leave space for opposite traffic, but opposite traffic often does not give you the same respect.

iggysmalls
January 4th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I'm in. I think Ive done GMR before, drove it, hiked a bit then jumped off the Bridge to Nowhere. From what I remember the drive was a blast, lot of day people, the hike was epic, but bungee wasn't so great (go sky diving instead).

In Azusa theres an ice cream shop that we stopped at, which we swore was just a front for something more cynical. Do Not Recommend.

Kurosaki
January 4th, 2010, 10:52 AM
maybe

00v_Lucky
January 4th, 2010, 11:47 AM
maybe

Why the maybe Kurosaki? :(

sixer
January 4th, 2010, 03:01 PM
He said cynical did he mean sinister?

adri99an
January 4th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Well--it sounds like this ride is turning into something cool--it will be great to ride with some other baby ninjas.

So we will enter via....
AZUSA TO EAST FORK (CAFE REST STOP)

TO THE BACKSIDE BOTTOM OF GMR

UP GMR (THRU THE BACKSIDE) TO THE TOP OF GMR (STOP AT THE INFAMOUS REST STOP)

DOWN GMR TO THE BOTTOM (REST STOP) AND END UP AT THE BASE OF GMR IN GLENDORA. (REST STOP)

WE THEN TURN AROUND AND HEAD BACK OR PEOPLE CAN
ACTUALLY GET THE 210 AND HEAD OUT IF THEY WANT TO BUT THE BEST RIDE IS GOING UP GMR STARTING AT THE BASE OF GMR IN GLENDORA.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
THROUGHOUT THIS RIDE WE WILL HAVE A FEW STOPS......THERE'S A CAFE BETWEEN AZUSA AND GMR :D

SORRY FOR THE ALL CAPS--BAD COMPUTER!!!:eek:::mad:

adri99an
January 4th, 2010, 06:55 PM
That would be cool--some pics of us riding--I don't have one of me on my bike!!

currentsea
January 4th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Anyone wanna get some food after the ride?

adri99an
January 4th, 2010, 07:49 PM
If you want food in Glendora...there's "Legends"---great burgers and fries......from the base of GMR...Legends is about 8-10 minutes away....clean.... and worth it!!!

In Azusa..."Canyon City Barbeque" is good and close to where the Azusa Canyon entrance is...about 8-10 min as well.

00v_Lucky
January 4th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Sweet, this event is going to be the whole 9 yards!

Photoshoot, ride, meal, action shots.

I will bring my camera but it is only an average sony point and shoot. Is anyone willing to bring a DSLR? :crossing fingers:

ninja250
January 5th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Since I'm doing the video, might as well do the DSLR.
I better count my motorcycle blessings for now anyways. :D

I have a Nikon D70s I can bring. Only 6mp but a DSLR none the less.
I'll bring my normal nikon point and shoot coolpix too.

Too bad I can't edit the .mov files that come off the iPhone videos.
I can get video with the point and shoot from a stationary position as well though.That video I can edit. Maybe we can do a few video/photo passes.

iggysmalls
January 5th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I have home brewed camera mount that I can attach my point and shoot camera to, it does video too albeit, not HD.

I'm stoked, I haven't been on a formal group ride before!

laraider
January 5th, 2010, 11:27 PM
love to come , but im too new, only have 25 miles so far, catch you guys up next time...

currentsea
January 6th, 2010, 01:00 AM
yeah , i think 25 miles is a little too new for the canyon run. get some practice in man and see u soon

Beast
January 7th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Hey, Chris... where's Ken these days?
Good question Kelly and with that, I have no answer :confused20:

BUT THE BEST RIDE IS GOING UP GMR STARTING AT THE BASE OF GMR IN GLENDORA.
That sounds like the opposite of the beginning of the plan (azusa going up the backside). Can we just do this instead (above)?

If you want food in Glendora...there's "Legends"---great burgers and fries......from the base of GMR...Legends is about 8-10 minutes away....clean.... and worth it!!!
Sounds awesome man :) I'm always down for a good burger

Sweet, this event is going to be the whole 9 yards!
It's about damn time! It's going to be quite a sight whenever there is more than one white 250r in the mix, err, I mean, whenever there is a PACK of 250s riding together ;)

Is anyone willing to bring a DSLR? :crossing fingers:
Hrmmm, I COULD mount my 5D Mark II to my fairings with some duct tape :crazyloco:

I have home brewed camera mount that I can attach my point and shoot camera to, it does video too albeit, not HD.
I'm going to bring my GoPro Hero for kicks hehe

Why the maybe Kurosaki?
Yeah, wth is up with that? :D

00v_Lucky
January 7th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Hrmmm, I COULD mount my 5D Mark II to my fairings with some duct tape :crazyloco:

Let me know when you're going to upgrade to the 7D so I can take that one off of your hands :D

laraider
January 7th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Let me know when you're going to upgrade to the 7D so I can take that one off of your hands :D

don't think from 5dII to 7d is an upgrade:p

Beast
January 7th, 2010, 01:48 PM

That'd actually be a downgrade :) Once you go full-frame sensor, you don't go back hehe. The 7D may have a few superior video settings, but it can't compete with the glory of the full frame ;)

laraider
January 7th, 2010, 09:26 PM
50miles so far, almost accident for 3 times now, just had one scary moment today, as i was crossing a railroad in traffic, i focused on the front tire as it cross the rail, the car in front of me suddenly stopped...i almost hit it head on, now the msf course paid off, i didn't hit the breaks, instead i swerved to the right and then stopped...im not sure is it really my intention or i just freezed my right hand, i just didn't hit the breaks right away. anyways, im now so happy i didn't get a 600 as my first bike...

Beast
January 7th, 2010, 09:32 PM
You're definitely not ready for GMR (or any other canyons for that matter). It's good to know you're smarter than that and know your limits. Canyons are no place for fresh riders prone to easy mistakes.

Glad you're okay Steven.

00v_Lucky
January 7th, 2010, 10:58 PM
That'd actually be a downgrade :) Once you go full-frame sensor, you don't go back hehe. The 7D may have a few superior video settings, but it can't compete with the glory of the full frame ;)

Yea, I do not know much about canon. I personally would go for the D3s for the great ISO

Beast
January 8th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Yea, I do not know much about canon. I personally would go for the D3s for the great ISO

The D3s is WAY more expensive albeit a great camera :) The ISO on the 5DM2 can go up to 25,600. Granted there is a bit of noise, but you can shoot in near darkness with a good low light (f/1.4) lens hehe.

ninja250
January 8th, 2010, 07:34 AM
So what do you guys think about setting up for shoot?

How should we go about that? Maybe stop near the top/split between the canyon roads and find a nice turn I can set up on, then you can all backtrack down the road a bit for a bypass on the video camera while I shoot with the DSLR? That way we can all get a little lean digital picture in and then I'll edit the video together from between the bikes that records while I shoot pics.

Maybe also a little group shot would be cool too.

Don't be laughin' at my new pants I gotta break in. That stuff is skin tight. I've never had moto pants before I just dove straight in on full blown leather racers.. :confused10:

Gonna yank my carbs today and make sure the bike is all dailed in and purring for next weekend.

Beast
January 8th, 2010, 01:15 PM

How should we go about that? Maybe stop near the top/split between the canyon roads and find a nice turn I can set up on, then you can all backtrack down the road a bit for a bypass on the video camera while I shoot with the DSLR? That way we can all get a little lean digital picture in and then I'll edit the video together from between the bikes that records while I shoot pics.

Don't be laughin' at my new pants I gotta break in. That stuff is skin tight. I've never had moto pants before I just dove straight in on full blown leather racers.. :confused10:

Gonna yank my carbs today and make sure the bike is all dailed in and purring for next weekend.

What will you be shooting with? Out of curiosity :) This sounds like a cool idea.

ninja250
January 8th, 2010, 04:45 PM
agh just that nikon d70s old DSLR and my point and shoot does respectable video. Was gonna bring a tripod and set the point and shoot video camera up to record you all passing while I handle the DSLR.

Then whoever has onboard video to share of the ride can thrown that in too. I will probably have all three angles..

andrewexd
January 8th, 2010, 06:16 PM
i have a creative vado hd, but no mount... Tried to use it inside the helmet but all I get is the road but good quality.

laraider
January 8th, 2010, 10:19 PM
i have a creative vado hd, but no mount... Tried to use it inside the helmet but all I get is the road but good quality.

anybody wanna let me ride in the back so i can take videos and pics? i weigh 230lbs....:D:D:D

pedaltothemetal
January 8th, 2010, 10:41 PM
anybody wanna let me ride in the back so i can take videos and pics? i weigh 230lbs....:D:D:D

I will ride with you in the future! A great place to start is on the street with my scooter buddies. PM me and will let you know where to meet up in Temple City. You don't have to ride until you are comfortable but at least you can meet other riders and shoot the bull with them!

currentsea
January 9th, 2010, 03:50 PM

No worries lol. My pants are a little big for me, so you won't be alone.

Just put on my Corbin seat since Alex and I will be riding 130 miles, before the ride even starts at GMR.

diablo250
January 9th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I'll be there.

Is the start time 10am? I assume we'll go up E. Fork and hit up GMR.... Also, are we going to be eating before/after? I always have to think with me gullet.....

diablo250
January 9th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Poo..I need a valve adjustment. A I was quoted 150, which was pretty decent. Anybody have a good reference in the LA area?

adri99an
January 9th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I think the start time should be 10am.....we will meet at the Shell gas station on Azusa Ave...check the map in the first couple of posts.

I love the camera idea---I'd LOVE a pic of me leaning or doing something----I only have pics of my bike **ALONE**none riding it though.....

As stated in one of my posts---we will start in Azusa and head to GMR the back way. As for food I was thinking we eat after we go down GMR and end up in Glendora---we should be plenty hungry.....it's up to the group but I think we should be pretty hungry by then. Let me know what you guys think......

I was up GMR today---let's hope next weekend is as pretty and the weather was NICE as I was in shorts and a t-shirt (hehehe) No tight pants fo rme next week as I ride in JEANS---but maybe I will check your guys' pants out.....

adri99an
January 9th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Chris and Howard--JUST for Clarification...we are starting Azusa at 10am?? or are we starting in Glendora at the base of GMR?

adri99an
January 9th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Came across this website for our group ride.......

http://www.njmc.org/etiquette/

laraider
January 10th, 2010, 01:04 AM

http://www.njmc.org/etiquette/sig-Ticked.gif
TICKED OFF:
Extend your left arm straight out with your elbow bent 90 degrees. Carefully extend your middle finger to clearly demonstrate your dissatisfaction with the other guy. NOTE: It is not recommended you do this when you are alone.

haha,this one is hilarious:D:D:D

ninja250
January 10th, 2010, 11:19 AM

Nice

I needed this one tons of times.
Smoky alert (police or emergency vehicles) -- Hand taps top of helmet several times

Specially from or for other riders.

currentsea
January 10th, 2010, 12:09 PM

Cool idea, we need to find a spot for the DSLR to be, and a spot to stop AFTER the bypass. We should all be alert when stopping/u-turning and have a strong leader familiar with GMR when bypassing for the shoot (Chris/Howard) :)

ninja250
January 10th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I took the DSLR outside today.

It might have a fuzz spot in the lense or two. I can't clean inside the autofocus lense. I'll clean it as best I can, unless anybody has any other DSLR lenses that fit a Nikon D70s.

I hope my air filter comes or I'll have to put tube socks over my carb inlets for this ride. lol

Beast
January 10th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Chris and Howard--JUST for Clarification...we are starting Azusa at 10am?? or are we starting in Glendora at the base of GMR?
Adrian, based on what you've said earlier, it sounds like from AZUSA going up to the back-side of GMR is more technical despite the Azusa warmup. For some riders it might be like going from a casual walk and immediately graduating to a marathon.

With that in mind, do you recommend going from the BASE of GMR instead? If so, we should change our meet point to the base.

It might have a fuzz spot in the lense or two. I can't clean inside the autofocus lense. I'll clean it as best I can, unless anybody has any other DSLR lenses that fit a Nikon D70s.

Sorry, Canon only over here :thumbup:

diablo250
January 10th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Adrian, based on what you've said earlier, it sounds like from AZUSA going up to the back-side of GMR is more technical despite the Azusa warmup. For some riders it might be like going from a casual walk and immediately graduating to a marathon.

With that in mind, do you recommend going from the BASE of GMR instead? If so, we should change our meet point to the base.

I am confused now....

I think that starting from the shell and riding up Azusa to E. Fork is a good warmup. Plus the shell is easy to find. Going up GMR at the get go may be much for some newer riders.

ninja250
January 10th, 2010, 01:21 PM
OK,
here's a little test. Looks like it's runnin' OK to me. Kinda dusty though.
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/DSC_0317.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/beesunflowergood.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/DSC_0337.jpg

One camera taking a picture of another. lol
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/DSLRontripodtestseeflowerbee002.jpg

Bring all your prettiest riding gear. =)

Beast
January 10th, 2010, 01:57 PM
KC, far too much detail haha, but it looks okay to me :)

I am confused now....

I think that starting from the shell and riding up Azusa to E. Fork is a good warmup. Plus the shell is easy to find. Going up GMR at the get go may be much for some newer riders.

Okay screw it....I might be phrasing it incorrectly :) EVERYONE MEET AT THE SHELL.

00v_Lucky
January 10th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Bump for the updated list and clarification of meet point.

To everyone that is confused, we are going to be leaving by 10:15 for people that aren't familiar, KSU means Kickstands Up for future reference.

ninja250
January 10th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Azusa extended forecast.. (bottom of the hill?)
http://www.weather.com/weather/extended/USCA0059?par=yahoo&site=www.yahoo.com&promo=extendedforecast&cm_ven=Yahoo&cm_cat=www.yahoo.com&cm_pla=forecastpage&cm_ite=CityPage

What do you know, It's suggesting a scenic drive :D

Saturday
Jan 16
Partly Cloudy
High 72°F
Low 43°F
Precip 0 %
Scenic Drives Near You

00v_Lucky
January 10th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Azusa extended forecast.. (bottom of the hill?)
http://www.weather.com/weather/extended/USCA0059?par=yahoo&site=www.yahoo.com&promo=extendedforecast&cm_ven=Yahoo&cm_cat=www.yahoo.com&cm_pla=forecastpage&cm_ite=CityPage

What do you know, It's suggesting a scenic drive :D

I hope that rain forecast doesn't come ahead of schedule :rain:

adri99an
January 10th, 2010, 08:09 PM
OK,
here's a little test. Looks like it's runnin' OK to me. Kinda dusty though.
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/DSC_0317.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/beesunflowergood.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/DSC_0337.jpg

One camera taking a picture of another. lol
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/DSLRontripodtestseeflowerbee002.jpg

Bring all your prettiest riding gear. =)

Nice equipement!

adri99an
January 10th, 2010, 08:10 PM
You got it Howard!

Azusa Shell station---ksu @10:15am!!!

Beast
January 11th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Here is the current roll call and a quite impressive one at that :)

CONFIRMED
1) 00_v_Lucky = Howard
2) currentsea = J.R.
3) Beast = Chris
4) Zombiphone = Tiffani
5) adri99an = Adrian
6) ninja250 = KC
7) iggysmalls = Alex
8) andrewexd = Andrew
9) diablo250 = Mike

MAYBE
pedaltothemetal = Leo
kurosaki = joseph

Poo..I need a valve adjustment. A I was quoted 150, which was pretty decent. Anybody have a good reference in the LA area?

Good people :)
http://www.mototecnica.net

iggysmalls
January 12th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Nice equipement!

Isn't that what she said?

I was up in that area last weekend and the weather was great. I am so stoked! woooooo.

currentsea
January 12th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Chris,

I just realized that it was YOUR bike that inspired me to paint my bike white. I googled "White Ninja 250r" a while ago, and the picture off your domain "thebeastisback.com" showed up. Just clicked your profile, and realized that YOU were Christopher Lee. haha.

Thanks man.

Beast
January 12th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Chris,

I just realized that it was YOUR bike that inspired me to paint my bike white. I googled "White Ninja 250r" a while ago, and the picture off your domain "thebeastisback.com" showed up. Just clicked your profile, and realized that YOU were Christopher Lee. haha.

Thanks man.

NICE :) The Lexus pearl white you picked is a great choice, although for me, I liked a less "satin" or "milky" pearl if that makes sense. Glad you were inspired though. It's going to be fun times this Saturday :thumbup:

adri99an
January 12th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Let's just hope the weather stays good gentleman!! No rain dancing this week!!!

samuel913
January 12th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I'm in!!!

pedaltothemetal
January 12th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I'm suppose to go on a cruise to Julian Sat, but now it's getting hard for me to choose!

ninja250
January 12th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I'm in!!!

Cool :thumbup:

Air filter is back in my bike! About to fire it up!

fjyang
January 13th, 2010, 02:25 AM
I'll try to make it too on Sat. sound like a fun ride. Would ACH be a better choice?

laraider
January 13th, 2010, 02:27 AM
will there be anybody taking video while riding ? would love to check out the video since i can't go cuz i only have 100miles up till now..

ninja250
January 13th, 2010, 06:56 AM
I'm pretty sure I will be going fairly slow. It looks like my bike will be bogging until my jet kit come to match the air filter. :D If we have to form two groups of riders I'm probably going to be in the back. Read as "Can't get over 7k at the moment"

No problem, I kept it at 4k for the first 100mi up in the twisties! lol

Slim price to pay for modifications, but as a trade off, I do have a video camera and can record the rest of the bikes/riders from the back of the pack.. along with photo ops.

Zombiphone
January 13th, 2010, 08:37 AM
No! It's raining today. Hopefully it's not out there in Azusa, or if it is, hopefully it'll be cleared up and dry by Saturday.

Provided everything's nice again by the weekend, I finally got my mount for my camera, so I should also be able to record. I also got a new one piece suit over the weekend, which may or may not be broken in enough to ride out there in by then.

On that note- Slowest. Week. Ever.

ninja250
January 13th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I finally got to try my pants last night and they are definitely not broken in :D
Good thing I got them one size larger and put sweats on under because I think I need to wear them without the sweats or thermals! :eek: Little tight in the knee area otherwise.

I think GMR is 4,000' elevation max. As long as it dries up for Friday and Saturday, we should be OK. I don't know about the fire areas and flooding though on the other (first) portion of the ride. I've never taken that road.

diablo250
January 13th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Its fine. The roads aren't bad, even after rains. I went up earlier in december and it was fine. The fires didn't effect the roads on GMR that much. See everyone on Saturday!

currentsea
January 13th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I've never ridden Azusa, and depending on conditions I might be more inclined to ride at a relatively cautious speed. But i'll be in full gear either way.

I'm real excited for this ride! Let's pray for clear skies. We definitely need a group photo.

:)

Ryosen11
January 13th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I'm in! (if weather is good)

Never been to a group ride...always wanted to. I hope I can catch up.

00v_Lucky
January 13th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I'm in! (if weather is good)

Never been to a group ride...always wanted to. I hope I can catch up.

How many miles have you rode so far?

sixer
January 13th, 2010, 03:28 PM
ninja 250 can chaperone the slower bikes -lol -j/k - Id like to go but i dont forsee having pants for about a month-

Wouldn't go without them-

enjoy.

Ryosen11
January 13th, 2010, 03:29 PM
How many miles have you rode so far?
4600miles mostly city streets and freeways and some Malibu and Palomar rides(slowly and carefully:p)

sixer
January 13th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I think you'll get voted off the island lol j/k

adri99an
January 13th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I might head up Azusa/GMR Friday after work--just to see what the roads are like and post my findings on the forum.:rolleyes: Usually after the rain--it's not so bad.

KSU 10:15 am Azusa/Shell Station

Looks like the rain will hold out!!!! :thumbup:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/91740?locid=91740

samuel913
January 13th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I've never ridden Azusa, and depending on conditions I might be more inclined to ride at a relatively cautious speed. But i'll be in full gear either way.

I'm real excited for this ride! Let's pray for clear skies. We definitely need a group photo.

GMR is my favoite mt road. I usually ride there every Sunday.
I was recording my friend when we ridding on GMR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HuKoXA4uwQ

Beast
January 13th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Good thing I got them one size larger and put sweats on under because I think I need to wear them without the sweats or thermals!
Why sweats or thermals? It's not THAT cold :) I wear a Psycle Skins undersuit. Keeps the sweat away and makes taking your leathers on and off easy peasy.
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=21

On that note- Slowest. Week. Ever.
I couldn't agree with you more. I'll get to break in my new SIDI Vortice's Saturday as well. So many things to look forward to! :D

If we have to form two groups of riders I'm probably going to be in the back. Read as "Can't get over 7k at the moment"
So with that in mind, what speed does that leave you for your freeway ride there? 55? Hehe.

Looks like the rain will hold out!!!!
:happy100:

KSU 10:15 am
10:17

GMR is my favoite mt road. I usually ride there every Sunday.
Thanks for the video Kao. It was a great mental primer. EVERYONE who is going should watch this. I'm ready lock' and loll'!! :rad:

currentsea
January 13th, 2010, 11:52 PM
We should consolidate all of our footage after the ride and make a little ninjette promo video :)

ninja250
January 14th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Why sweats or thermals? It's not THAT cold :) I wear a Psycle Skins undersuit. Keeps the sweat away and makes taking your leathers on and off easy peasy.

So with that in mind, what speed does that leave you for your freeway ride there? 55? Hehe.

Sweats under everything FTW! :cool:
Just how I ride in winter I guess. No problems as the pants are somewhat tight in the knee with no undergarments! Man nothing fits me very good, I'll just have to get used to it. It's not easy being tall. :rolleyes: All my clothes were made for short people. (see flooding jacket in avatar)

Yeah for the freeway ride there I'm kinda iffy.
If that jet kit doesn't show up by Friday about 3pm, I might have to shoehorn the stock airbox back in there for this ride or something. Cutting it close.
I really don't think I can ride down there on 7k rpm on the freeway.
Not so sure running that lean is good for the bike either.

PS.. if those Sidi's are boots, you'll be very happy.
I've had my Sidi's for years and beat on them all the time and they take it no problem.

diablo250
January 14th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. I'll get to break in my new SIDI Vortice's Saturday as well. So many things to look forward to! :D

:

I just picked up my Vertigo's about 3 weeks ago, and my new leathers :D

Looking forward to the ride!

Ken
January 14th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Damn,

Things changed at my work so for the next couple of months I wont be able to participate in weekend rides :(. Have fun and ride safe.

adri99an
January 14th, 2010, 06:28 PM

10:17

Thanks for the video Kao. It was a great mental primer. EVERYONE who is going should watch this. I'm ready lock' and loll'!! :rad:

Hmmmmm I like 10:17 but now I'm leaning towards 10:18?:D

Drove by our meet up today and the weather was spectacular!! Hope it stays like this.....:thumbup:

currentsea
January 14th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Are you guys washing, waxing and tuning your bikes tonight and tomorrow as I am?

adri99an
January 14th, 2010, 09:02 PM
:D:thumbup:As we speak!!!!

ninja250
January 15th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Are you guys washing, waxing and tuning your bikes tonight and tomorrow as I am?

I'm hoping I can make it!

If my jet kit comes in the mail today I'll be there! Otherwise I might have to sit it out. Can't ride the bike in it's current thirsty state. Got my fingers crossed. I really wanted to make this. If anything I might come in the truck :p:mad:

I'll be wrenching on mine till the last second. It's like an episode of orange county choppers over here without the choppers.

currentsea
January 15th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Is your bike running lean? You can temporarily correct it with some tape :D, i've done it a few times.

Do you already have needles/clips? I have some spare jets I can bring you tomorrow, if you need em.

ninja250
January 15th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Tried tape already which didn't work at all for some reason. I was surprised. (pics of tape in mod thread)
Do you still have your runners on your filter?
Looking grim on the mail man showing up here today so far..

Beast
January 15th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Hilarious haha. I JUST got back inside from doing just that.

Kurosaki
January 15th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Still a maybe.

I'll see how I feel in the morning. :P

Beast
January 15th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Still a maybe.

I'll see how I feel in the morning. :P

You're too good for us, admit it ;)

Also, RAIN all of next week EXCEPT for Saturday. The motorcycle gods are in our favor this time!

Kurosaki
January 15th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I'm just lazy, that's all. :D

andrewexd
January 15th, 2010, 05:57 PM
hmm i might put my fairings back on tonight. such a PITA though...

pedaltothemetal
January 15th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I thought I was going but my club is calling me to go to Julian to get some apple pie!
Ride safe and enjoy the ride cause next week there is a giant storm heading our way and may not see any good riding for a while!

adri99an
January 15th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Just got back from GMR---roads look good. A few spots here and there but overall NICE:thumbup:

My bike is ready and so am I---pretty excited to see and meet some new Ryders......

KSU 10:18 am

Who's down for food as well?

Since it's gonna rain ALL next week---better get my ride on!!

diablo250
January 15th, 2010, 06:45 PM
My bike is ready and so am I---pretty excited to see and meet some new Ryders......

KSU 10:18 am

Who's down for food as well?

I eat/like food.

00v_Lucky
January 15th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Okay guys, I am ready to go except for one minor problem. (didn't think it was thread worthy)
I messed with my needles again but I smell something burning when I put my nose over my tank. I think it could be a hose that is misplaced touching the engine. I have no clue. It is a minor smell, nothing smoking so what do you all think?

I checked the 3 hoses on the side of the tank, and they were all good. The other hoses I touched seem to be in order. :confused:

andrewexd
January 15th, 2010, 10:03 PM
btw the shell address is - 106 S Azusa Ave, Azusa, CA 91702

adri99an
January 15th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Tiffani, J.R. (and Howard) I'm with you guys too. GMR is new to me and I'd like to familiarize myself with it first :)

Tiffani, don't worry, I'm coming from about the same distance away since I'm in Burbank. J.R, I feel for you haha.

FROM THIS EXIT off the 210
http://www.thebeastisback.com/files/ninja250/azusa_exit.png

Turn left at the off ramp and after you pass under the freeway, it's on your right. Lots more space to meet up :)

The Shell
http://www.thebeastisback.com/files/ninja250/shell.png

Here's the map Chris posted.....

currentsea
January 15th, 2010, 11:11 PM
KC: I almost had to completely tape off the entire filter for the tape mod. I still do have my runners.

Howard: Make sure your spark plug wires are routed correctly. Double check the hoses again. Other than that,IGGYSMALLS(alex) is stumped.

Alex and I just rode 130 miles to Southern California. Nice cool weather. See you guys in the AM! Ride safe on your way

laraider
January 15th, 2010, 11:37 PM
im not going, but im excited! ride safe and have fun tomorrow guys! wait for your pictures and videos!

iggysmalls
January 15th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Howard: Make sure your spark plug wires are routed correctly. Double check the hoses again. Other than that,IGGYSMALLS(alex) is stumped.

I wasn't aware I was giving advice ...

KC: No matter how slow your bike is, it still isn't slower than JR's was before we rebuilt it. Even to this day, its still slow. I think we were passed by my grandma in her Rascal Round about on the way here.

currentsea
January 15th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Alex is jealous i look better in full leathers.

00v_Lucky
January 16th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Alex is jealous i look better in full leathers.

We will see tomorrow who looks the best in full leathers :p

00v_Lucky
January 16th, 2010, 08:15 AM
weather.com says that it will be partly cloudy and 65 - 70 degrees.

I am not really liking the 10% precipitation but o well.

FYI: My friend got a fix it ticket by chp at GMR the other day for front reflectors! So bring your reflectors just in case.

andrewexd
January 16th, 2010, 09:52 AM
see you guys there im about to leave soon

ninjabrewer
January 16th, 2010, 12:31 PM
How did the ride go? and don't forget

:worthlesswithoutpic

nb

adri99an
January 16th, 2010, 04:23 PM
NinjaBrewer

KC is on his way home with tons of footage and pics......he's going to start a new thread......let's just say GMR tagged 2 of our ninjettes today......:(

diablo250
January 16th, 2010, 04:37 PM
yea! First one back starts the thread woot woot! Great ride guys (and gal) :). Lets do it again soon. Now for the pictures, which I don't have....

diablo250
January 16th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Crap adrian..you won the race home :)

adri99an
January 16th, 2010, 04:53 PM

adri99an
January 16th, 2010, 05:00 PM
It only took me 5 minutes to get home.....I posted some pics on the other thread.....

Damm I had some fun today.....can't wait for KCs footage and pics----

ninja250
January 16th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Crazy day today guys!
Will get pics cooking here in a minute. Need to relax my feets for a bit!
Gonna take me a couple hours to sort through my pics and video though so hang in there. =)
Great riding Adrian! You'd be a good partner for me in the hills mang. You really do know your turns back there too. Nice to meet you and everyone else today!

ninja250
January 16th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Hell yeah nice pics man!
That's the first pic of me riding I've ever seen! Looks like better form than I thought. Had fun guys! I appreciate the pic!

I'll get my stuff organized and up by tonight!

adri99an
January 16th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Can't wait to see your pics and video.

I just realized how lucky I am to be so close to GMR---it's home away from home with the twisties and views for miles. I met some good peeps today...can't wait to head up to SB....anytime you wanna fly down I will be anyones GMR hostess...

GMR does take a alot of practice practice practice---but once you got your lines down----it is a freakin' sweeeeet ride......:thumbup:

Come on KC--lets see some squids and pics!!!!!!!!!!!!

ninja250
January 16th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Gonna be a few hours. Got 127 high res pics and like 10 videos to upload.

The wait will be worth it though. :D

I'm still full from those chili fries man.

adri99an
January 16th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Hey KC...wondering when you had a chance if you'd email me some pics and video of me riding---I know you're a busy guy but like you I have NO pics of me riding....here's my email awong911@msn.com

adri99an
January 16th, 2010, 06:35 PM
The mushrooms you took home are the shiizzz nizzzz......I have those at least once a week.

Ken
January 16th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Nice turnout!!

iggysmalls
January 16th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I made it back to SB, now its time to turn around and head to mammoth. Wonder how the 250 is going to handle the snow...

Zombiphone
January 16th, 2010, 08:31 PM
That was a lot of fun. It was awesome getting to meet you guys in person ^_^ Even though I went down, I still really enjoyed the ride up until that point. And by the time I got on the freeway for the ride home, I was comfortable and enjoying my time in the saddle again. I think I hurt my pride more than anything else :redface: (Well, my pride and my fairings...)

I drove out to a kawi dealer as soon as I got home so I'll be cleaning her up and replacing what I can tomorrow while the inevitable soreness is setting in. It rode as well as always on the way home, so I think the damage was just on a surface level. Might get a mechanic to look over it just in case.

On that note, I did get some decent footage otherwise (although I think I need to angle my camera a bit better >_<). I'll post some stuff up as soon as I can get to my desktop and stop being so lazy.

Oh, and if you got a video of when I went down KC, don't feel too bad about posting it. I want to try to understand everything I did wrong so I can learn from mistakes like these.

ninjabrewer
January 16th, 2010, 08:38 PM
ouch, glad to hear that you are ok and didn't get hurt.

nb

adri99an
January 16th, 2010, 08:46 PM
That was a lot of fun. It was awesome getting to meet you guys in person ^_^ Even though I went down, I still really enjoyed the ride up until that point. And by the time I got on the freeway for the ride home, I was comfortable and enjoying my time in the saddle again. I think I hurt my pride more than anything else :redface: (Well, my pride and my fairings...)

I drove out to a kawi dealer as soon as I got home so I'll be cleaning her up and replacing what I can tomorrow while the inevitable soreness is setting in. It rode as well as always on the way home, so I think the damage was just on a surface level. Might get a mechanic to look over it just in case.

On that note, I did get some decent footage otherwise (although I think I need to angle my camera a bit better >_<). I'll post some stuff up as soon as I can get to my desktop and stop being so lazy.

Oh, and if you got a video of when I went down KC, don't feel too bad about posting it. I want to try to understand everything I did wrong so I can learn from mistakes like these.

========================================================
Well--I am glad you are ok. Anytime you wanna come up and face that turn again let me know. GMR is intimidating-tough-but addicting at the same time. After riding your bike--I knew it was okay.....felt like mine. And fyi---I know why you went down---I was 2 bikes behind you.....:eek:
1. wrong lean angle
2. too much lean

something that took me months to figure out.....and still am working at it....:thumbup:

ninja250
January 16th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Will post all pics here from my photobucket account. Then you guys can right click on them and hit "Save image as" and save them to your desktop after naming them. Helps me from having to mail them all and you guys get the same image. Since they were huge DSLR pics I had to resize them anyways or I couldn't email them feasibly.

Will comment/reply soon too... trying to get all these videos and pics uploaded before I rattle off my typing fingers like always. Loads of media will be up tonight but it might be late-ish this evening. Check back soon.

currentsea
January 16th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I made it back to Santa Barbara without much problem. Great ride, that curve at GMR really owned my pride more than anything. Shoulders bruised but okay (I hope) --- removed my fairing, and should have it fixed by Monday.

Just wanna say thanks to everyone for a great ride. Everyone was real cool as hell. Adriann, i'll bug you next time i'm in the area for round two.

KC, did you eat all your food yet? aha.

ninja250
January 16th, 2010, 09:44 PM
OK, round one.
Going to do this in pieces to try and avoid the spam filter.

I used three different cameras. Nikon S550 point and shoot, Nikon D70s DSLR and my iPhone for video.

The meeting spot
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/GMRpointandshoot013.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/GMRpointandshoot017.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/GMRpointandshoot019.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/GMRpointandshoot020.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/GMRpointandshoot023.jpg

Top of the hill
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/GMRpointandshoot025.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/GMRpointandshoot030.jpg

Currentsea down!
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/GMRpointandshoot031.jpg

Scrapies!
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/GMRpointandshoot033.jpg

Tiff's bike trajectory (see the scratches on the pavement and pit in berm)
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/GMRpointandshoot035.jpg

Tiff's bike :(
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/GMRpointandshoot037.jpg

Gettin' low son!
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0318.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0319.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0320.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0321.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0322.jpg

Hang in there, many more pics coming!!!!

ninja250
January 16th, 2010, 09:47 PM
More pics! Are you in here?! You should be!

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0325.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0326.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0330.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0331.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0333.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0336.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0337.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0338.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0339.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0344.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0345.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0347.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0348.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0349.jpg

MORE PICS COMING!

ninja250
January 16th, 2010, 09:54 PM
More pics for your viewing pleasure

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0353.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0354.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0355.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0356.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0357.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0358.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0362.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0363.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0365.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0366.jpg

funny pic
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0371.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0378.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0379.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0380.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0381.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0382.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0384.jpg

samuel913
January 16th, 2010, 09:56 PM
these are the pictures I took today. glad that everyone got back home safely.

http://f.imagehost.org/0689/DSC07175.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0689/DSC07175)
http://f.imagehost.org/0699/DSC07176.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0699/DSC07176)
http://f.imagehost.org/0097/DSC07178.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0097/DSC07178)
http://f.imagehost.org/0498/DSC07180.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0498/DSC07180)
http://i.imagehost.org/0889/DSC07181.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0889/DSC07181)
http://i.imagehost.org/0696/DSC07182.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0696/DSC07182)
http://i.imagehost.org/0110/DSC07183.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0110/DSC07183)
http://i.imagehost.org/0004/DSC07185.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0004/DSC07185)
http://f.imagehost.org/0396/DSC07188.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0396/DSC07188)
http://f.imagehost.org/0711/DSC07189.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0711/DSC07189)
http://f.imagehost.org/0616/DSC07191.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0616/DSC07191)
http://f.imagehost.org/0509/DSC07195.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0509/DSC07195)
http://f.imagehost.org/0416/DSC07197.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0416/DSC07197)
http://f.imagehost.org/0315/DSC07199.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0315/DSC07199)
http://f.imagehost.org/0718/DSC07200.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0718/DSC07200)
http://i.imagehost.org/0512/DSC07202.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0512/DSC07202)
http://i.imagehost.org/0919/DSC07203.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0919/DSC07203)
http://i.imagehost.org/0831/DSC07205.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0831/DSC07205)
http://f.imagehost.org/0622/DSC07209.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0622/DSC07209)
http://f.imagehost.org/0028/DSC07213.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0028/DSC07213)
http://f.imagehost.org/0427/DSC07214.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0427/DSC07214)
http://f.imagehost.org/0320/DSC07215.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0320/DSC07215)
http://i.imagehost.org/0724/DSC07216.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0724/DSC07216)
http://i.imagehost.org/0035/DSC07217.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0035/DSC07217)
http://i.imagehost.org/0440/DSC07218.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0440/DSC07218)
http://i.imagehost.org/0832/DSC07220.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0832/DSC07220)
http://f.imagehost.org/0239/DSC07221.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0239/DSC07221)
http://f.imagehost.org/0037/DSC07224.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0037/DSC07224)
http://f.imagehost.org/0940/DSC07225.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0940/DSC07225)

ninja250
January 16th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Almost done, hang in there..
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0385.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0386.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0387.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0391.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0393.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0394.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0395.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0399.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0400.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0401.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0402.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0404.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0405.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0406.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0407.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0408.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0409.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0410.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0411.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0412.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0413.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0414.jpg

laraider
January 16th, 2010, 10:00 PM
waiting for pics and videos!!!

ninja250
January 16th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Here's the last of them from me!
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0415.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0416.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0417.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0418.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/DSC_0419.jpg

And a lil video clip! ((more of these coming)
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/th_GMRpointandshoot029.jpg (http://s872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/GMR%20ninjette%20ride%201-16-10/?action=view&current=GMRpointandshoot029.flv)

ninja250
January 16th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks for coming Sam and crew!
Sorry to trap your pics in the middle like that dude.

I feel terrible about your low side Tiff!
Hope you're OK. I think you just gotta learn to get your butt leaning off the side of the bike now and you'll be good to go. Nothing wrong with your speed, just the lean angle as Adrian says. That and a little more practice in the twisties. I don't know why that happened, you took some other pretty hefty corners earlier in the day at fair speeds as I see on the videos. Regardless, you did the right thing for the situation. If you would have stood the bike up it would have been much much worse. You kept leaning, major props!

I'll get to work on those videos..

samuel913
January 16th, 2010, 10:18 PM

don't worry about it, not a big deal!

samuel913
January 16th, 2010, 10:19 PM

BTW: thanks for the pics of me. it looks great!!

adri99an
January 16th, 2010, 10:21 PM
VERY Impressive!!! Thanks KC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you have more put em up.......cant wait for the vids!!

adri99an
January 16th, 2010, 10:22 PM
waiting for pics and videos!!!

Go to the Azusa ride 1/16 report thread....lots of pics:thumbup:

pedaltothemetal
January 16th, 2010, 10:30 PM
On my ride today to Julian was thinking of you guys! What a great day to be riding!

diablo250
January 16th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I.....need.....to......get.......lower.....

Thanks for uploading the pics KC!

Alex
January 16th, 2010, 10:34 PM
:clapping: Some great pics here! Sorry about the two off's, and glad they were both minor...

Alex
January 16th, 2010, 10:37 PM
/merged the pre-ride thread and the ride report thread, both now in Ride Reports. This way people can see the build-up as well as info on how the ride went. Epic get-together! :thumbup:

laraider
January 16th, 2010, 10:42 PM
wow ...very good time, hope I can join next time, sorry for the down, hope you guys are okay.

Ryosen11
January 16th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Here are some pictures I took. I had a great time!

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/SukaCoo/IMG_1050.jpg

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/SukaCoo/IMG_1051.jpg

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/SukaCoo/IMG_1052.jpg

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/SukaCoo/IMG_1053.jpg

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/SukaCoo/IMG_1054.jpg

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/SukaCoo/IMG_1057.jpg

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/SukaCoo/IMG_1059.jpg

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/SukaCoo/IMG_1060.jpg

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/SukaCoo/IMG_1061.jpg

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/SukaCoo/IMG_1064.jpg

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/SukaCoo/IMG_1065.jpg

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/SukaCoo/IMG_1066.jpg

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/SukaCoo/IMG_1067.jpg

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/SukaCoo/IMG_1069.jpg

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/SukaCoo/IMG_1068.jpg

After we said good bye I went on 210W and headed home but remembered the weather forecast(rain through out next week)……..and so I got off at Azusa and went for another round:D Maybe it was that cheeseburger:eek:
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/SukaCoo/IMG_1073.jpg

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/SukaCoo/IMG_1075.jpg

Beast
January 16th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Epic turnout indeed :D

It was great meeting all you guys and for some of you, again. J.R. glad you made it back and KC thanks for taking along your camera. I'll bring mine next time and take it easy :) A great day despite the two crashes.

ninja250
January 16th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I.....need.....to......get.......lower.....

Thanks for uploading the pics KC!

You and me both haha.
I think for me I just don't fit the pants well enough to stick my knee that low. I'll keep trying though.. carefully. We should go on a knee scrape run with each other one day and get it figured out. Then we can pick up eachothers' bikes when we drop them :p:rolleyes: Just kidding!

I think I was pretty close on one of those corners while following Adrian, but I started wanted to force it down and almost jumped off the bike just to scrape knee so had to calm it back down. No use forcing anything. ;)

Videos tomorrow guys I'm beat. That was a lot for me for the day!

adri99an
January 17th, 2010, 08:33 AM
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/SukaCoo/IMG_1075.jpg

Hahahaaa---Azusa/GMR is very addicting---look at that sunset. If i would've known I'd of gone as well!! :thumbup:

adri99an
January 17th, 2010, 08:35 AM
You and me both haha.
I think for me I just don't fit the pants well enough to stick my knee that low. I'll keep trying though.. carefully. We should go on a knee scrape run with each other one day and get it figured out. Then we can pick up eachothers' bikes when we drop them :p:rolleyes: Just kidding!

I think I was pretty close on one of those corners while following Adrian, but I started wanted to force it down and almost jumped off the bike just to scrape knee so had to calm it back down. No use forcing anything. ;)

Videos tomorrow guys I'm beat. That was a lot for me for the day!

Thanks for all the time with the pics....we need to get you a whole bunch of pics.....next time I'll take the pics and you ride~~:thumbup:
Cant wait for the videos!!

Zombiphone
January 17th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Well, I've got a video of my last half of the ride. It's pretty fun up until the end. The sound quality sucks, but those RAM mounts are amazing in terms of stability and absorbing the vibration. My editing skills also suck, so you'll have to bear with me.

Gomh9VA9ERY

I took a couple of those turns way too leaned over. I think I may have run out of fear of death O_o

Unfortunately, I missed getting the second part of the ride on video from that coffee shop to the second rest stop on the cliff, because I didn't realize my camera had automatically turned off to save batteries while we were at the coffee shop. That was probably my favorite part of the ride too >_<

I did get the first part of the ride up Azusa though, which is a bit long and not too exciting. Just the same, I'll try and get some of that uploaded later once we're out of daylight. On a side note, I'm feeling surprisingly not too bad today :)

adri99an
January 17th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Nice riding Tif---till the end.....but man that turn like I said before nearly got me a few times.......glad you are okay....:)

I actually just got back from a "quickie" ride---up to GMR and back home---1 hour.....:rolleyes:

Alex
January 17th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Hi Tiffanii! Glad you and your bike are OK! It's not speed that got you, and it's not just too much lean angle. The primary cause of that crash was improper line selection. On many of the turns in that video, you're turning in way too soon, which means that further into the turn you have to turn the bike that much harder to stay on the road. When coming up to a left hand turn, the last place you want to be is on the yellow line even before the turn starts. If you instead start the corner entry from the right side of the lane, you can have a smooth arc all the way through the corner at the same speed, without having to crank down on the bars to tighten up the turn at the end. On that last corner, you were actually well over the yellow line before even starting to turn, and once you did the bike was on the ground. Here's a pic that shows the difference between an early apex, a standard apex, and a late apex. At some point it can be a bit of a preference or riding style, but apexing too early is a common problem for newer riders as they approach a corner that is worrisome to them, and can cause a whole host of issues. (red = bad! yellow/green depends more on the particular situation)

Hope the bike is back to 100% soon, and very glad you ended up OK as well!

ninja250
January 17th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Video session! Come 'n' Get 'em!

From Shell to bottom of the hill
Ho3zq8aK_TQ

Bottom of the hill towards the cafe part 1
8CBs-gS6BtI

Part 2
BehUEQtXMSc

Part 3
eE9PR1jHpUQ

Part 4
J0DhJnIzlxs

Part 5
B2kBdCttAyM

part 6
ts0WAhU6sIw

Heading up to the top of the mountain from the cafe part 1
fIkhGZ1nz8c

Heading up to the top from cafe part 2
jDPonpM4rIo

Top of GMR
G3wRwQr_qDg

Crazy stunt plane that did barrel rolls 40ft over our head on the turnout! That was sweet!
JBOtWb8iwWw

I couldn't get Currentsea's crash on film because I left the tape running the whole time and it exceeded youtube's 10 minute video allotment. (by three minutes!) Not to mention it's .MOV and I can't edit it.

But I do have Tiffani's crash. Well, sort of. The only time you don't see her on the video for a split second is when she actually lays it down, but you see her slide up onto the berm.

I think the problem was the bike was leaned too much. She needs to stand the bike up straighter while hanging off the side instead of leaning the entire bike so much. That way the stock tires can still make grip. I'm no expert and don't hold anything against me for judging what may have happened. I was just right behind her and saw the whole thing with my two eyes, and Adrian was right behind me too. I don't know for sure though. It was an odd one.

A simple lay down. Much better than rolling off into the dirt in this case. Slid right in without a flip or a roll. :thumbup:
(if you can't see this video yet, they are still approving it and you should check back shortly, sorry for the misspell too was in a hurry trying to get the vids renamed and posted)
6b7KQ_Ye6Ds

ninja250
January 17th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Oh snap now that I see it from Tiff's camera it does look like her line was off.
I don't know why I didn't see that before. That was an odd down. I think there was a few factors at play.

pedaltothemetal
January 17th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Glad you are fine!
Just remember to ride your ride.
Fear is your friend too so if you see a dangerous corner slow down before you get there and turn as wide a radius as possible!
I have gone down too and made many a mistake. Just count your blessings and learn from them!
Motorcycle riding is a very dangerous sport! Our club already has 3 fallen riders the last 3 years and they all are RIP! So be careful and ride your ride!

Alex
January 17th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Great videos! Looks like fun.... :clapping:

adri99an
January 17th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Awesome footage KC---

Alex
January 17th, 2010, 04:02 PM
To some extent I agree; the front end may have washed right when she crossed over the DY, but the reason it washed at that point was she was carrying a a ton of lean angle over the DY, due to her line choice. Just another reason to steer clear of painted lines on the road, especially when applying any type of control input to the bike at the same time...

Ryosen11
January 17th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Nice videos.

I didn't know I was in front of Tiffani when she crashed but I heard it and made a u-turn. I was so nervous going up wondering who and how bad it was but glad you were ok.

iggysmalls
January 17th, 2010, 06:01 PM
i cant wait until i get home to see the pics and videos! I can edit mov files and can upload them if needed.
Posted via Mobile Device

adri99an
January 17th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I was up at GMR today and was trying to figure out what happen with Tiff......I've seen her video a few times now and going back to what I remember seeing I could see what Alex is saying but at the same time I did see how she leaned....and it was a very aggressive lean to the point where the entire bike went down with her. I've taken that turn 40 or more times and it is a nasty turn that comes out of nowhere.....her line choice was way off and ALL her weight went left and down the bike went....I think Tiff was VERY confident at this point and that turn snuck up on her.....lesson learned

Honestly--the turn she laid her bike down is one I have memorized just because it is brutal......this turn is one of the 5 worse in GMR...I myself have taken the wrong line choice and ended up near the edge...so Tiff...congrats on shaking it off and staying in one piece.....

As I drove down GMR today I thought about the 2 ninjettes that GMR tagged and remembered to ride my own ride....we have to remember that these machines we ride are dangerous and so we must respect them and their modest 250 power. Thank goodness no one was seriously hurt....:):)

ninja250
January 17th, 2010, 09:35 PM
No kidding man I don't know how I survived owning two 600's. :D
I'm happy on my 250.

Glad nobody was seriously injured on this ride. I think we had a lot of good support with us too.

00v_Lucky
January 18th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Wow thank you all for coming out! It was such a nice group of ninjettes :) It was great to finally meet some of you in person. J.R. and Tiffany, I am very glad you guys are okay and hope the rides home to SB and North ridge weren't too painful :/

Adrian, thank you for being the human gps

KC, thanks for bringing all of the camera equipment and the awesome footage.

And thank you to everyone else (Chris, Mike,and Sam) for helping me with my body positioning!

currentsea
January 18th, 2010, 12:28 AM
I think my pride took the biggest hit, if anything. Lesson learned. Great ride nonetheless. Only 80 bucks to fix my fairings. :D

00v_Lucky
January 18th, 2010, 02:55 AM
I think my pride took the biggest hit, if anything. Lesson learned. Great ride nonetheless. Only 80 bucks to fix my fairings. :D

Phew, I am glad that the fix did not exceed to 3 digits for you.

Jester
January 18th, 2010, 03:21 AM

I made it back to Santa Barbara without much problem. Great ride, that curve at GMR really owned my pride more than anything. Shoulders bruised but okay (I hope) --- removed my fairing, and should have it fixed by Monday.

Just wanna say thanks to everyone for a great ride. Everyone was real cool as hell. Adriann, i'll bug you next time i'm in the area for round two.

KC, did you eat all your food yet? aha.

Mamma Mia! :attention:!!
Thank god you're both alright. :grouphug:
Good to hear that you both seem to have been able to ride home with no ride demons.
Make sure you try and figure out what caused your dips so it doesn't happen again and you regain full confidence back.

dkstariob
January 18th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Glad you guys are safe. I am from Cali, home is in Rowland heights (San Gabriel valley) but I'm in Honolulu for the time being. I have never tried this road before and I am really impressed by it. To the riders that crashed, plastics can easily be replaced (though costly) or painted. It's more important that you guys are all in one piece, live to tell the tale, and have another opportunity to ride this road again.

pedaltothemetal
January 18th, 2010, 10:55 AM
From my experience I became a much careful rider after I went down.
It was 1967 and never forgot it. Was a group ride in Yosemite from the valley
to Grizzly Point in the dark. Scraped foot pegs on turns. Finished that with so
much confidence so the next day riding solo I was still in that state and hit
a bunch of leaves in a turn and lowsided. Had to hitch a ride to the greyhound
station with a will call ticket bought by my mother to get home. Borrowed the family
car with a uhaul trailer to go back up there and tow it back home. Lesson learned!
Other incidents include going into a corner too hot and ending on the wrong side and
hoping no car would come around the bend and hit me head on! Lesson learned!
BTW there was no internet then and you had to learn by experience if you lived!

Kurosaki
January 18th, 2010, 03:10 PM
GMR takes a lot of miles to be proficient on.

samuel913
January 18th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Wow thank you all for coming out! It was such a nice group of ninjettes :) It was great to finally meet some of you in person. J.R. and Tiffany, I am very glad you guys are okay and hope the rides home to SB and North ridge weren't too painful :/

Adrian, thank you for being the human gps

KC, thanks for bringing all of the camera equipment and the awesome footage.

And thank you to everyone else (Chris, Mike,and Sam) for helping me with my body positioning!

I’ve been ridding motorcycle for 10 years. I can’t live without motorcycle.
I use to race in Asia. If you have any question please feel free to ask me.
The R6 and DRZ came on that day. I taught them how to ride every weekend since last year. They have only been ridding less than a year. They have improved a lot with in one year!!!

My album
www.wretch.cc/album/samuel913

iggysmalls
January 20th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Finally got to look at the amazing pics and videos, thanks everyone! Looking at the pics of me, I need to learn better body position. So whos going to come up and teach me :D

Holy Poop and a stick Tiff, from what the video showed, I would've been terrified! I'm glad you are OK, any word on the cost to fix it? 2 Crashes, 2 dropped bikes and a dead battery, but at least everyone made it home in one piece.

Now that its raining, and I can't ride, it's time for me to install the Cadillac horns on the 250. You know, in preparation for the next ride, eh eh?

Zombiphone
January 21st, 2010, 12:32 AM
With all that adrenaline, I completely forgot that I should have been scared :thumbup:

It's so weird to actually see myself ride. I definitely have a lot to practice as soon as we get some sunshine. I've never been one to make the same mistake twice and I think I understand everything I did wrong. Thanks a lot for the input, everyone ^_^ More significantly, however, it seems my voice is absurdly high pitched in recordings :p

So far, I'm only down about $60 for a new clutch and shift lever. It's going to end up costing me a bit more than it needs to though, as I decided to use this as an excuse to get those proton flush mount turn signals I've been eying for a while now and I think I'm going to go for a custom paint job assuming my fairings are reparable. Not sure how much that'll cost me yet.

Although all this rain and having to be at work during daylight hours sucks so bad. The cold, wet darkness and my n00bish bike repair skills are causing me some.... technical difficulties. I'm officially swearing off the phrase "This should be pretty simple" >_< At least I wouldn't be riding it anyways right now.

We really did go just in time. I think we got the last day of good weather for a while.

samuel913
January 21st, 2010, 12:41 AM
so when is the next ride? My wife is up for it.

ninja250
January 21st, 2010, 06:30 AM
<in for the next ride! :)

I think Adrian was talking about this weekend if the rains stop but with so much rain I'm sure the road needs a few days to clear up all the mud washed down from the burn spots. Prolly gonna be a crapload of snow too. I always have to buy my bikes when winter is in full effect. lol

Sorry again Tiffani about the damage. Let us know if we can be of any help with your bike.

Time to go drive to LAX in the crazy weather for me =\

adri99an
January 21st, 2010, 05:33 PM
Being 5 minutes from GMR I will check out the roads Fri or Sat....maybe a Sunday ride if it looks okay.......

For sure the following weekend.......I will keep you guys updated....:thumbup:

samuel913
January 21st, 2010, 10:41 PM
Just finished uploading~~~

GMR----Glengora Mountain Road

http://i.imagehost.org/0532/4179_82485829850_846874850_1712514_5016113_n.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0532/4179_82485829850_846874850_1712514_5016113_n)

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yu8nAtncUEc&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yu8nAtncUEc&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5OehzEeu4_c&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5OehzEeu4_c&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4oSRI0Yuafg&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4oSRI0Yuafg&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mEtQ0Q0xFmQ&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mEtQ0Q0xFmQ&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iIgpKmE6Drg&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iIgpKmE6Drg&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NrqGOVdlY68&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NrqGOVdlY68&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7yNR2nO_LLc&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7yNR2nO_LLc&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/waRdPdZhOn4&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/waRdPdZhOn4&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E24dyFoVKvE&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E24dyFoVKvE&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JCI6cwnJAPs&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JCI6cwnJAPs&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

www.wretch.cc/album/samuel913

Ryosen11
January 21st, 2010, 11:38 PM
Wow... didn't know you had a camera on you. Nice videos! You had to do a lot of searching for us!!!

ninja250
January 22nd, 2010, 05:33 AM
Nice vids Sam. :thumbup:

diablo250
January 22nd, 2010, 03:11 PM
I'm in for sunday if the weather is good.

ninja250
January 22nd, 2010, 06:24 PM
It seems I've come up with a flu or cold virus. Feelin' terrible all the sudden.
Hopefully it goes away by whenever the sun clears up. I'd hate to miss a good ride before the rain comes back on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday.

They keep saying the rain is gone on the news but it's still raining here. They're smoking something on the commercial breaks.

adri99an
January 22nd, 2010, 07:19 PM
Sunday--I'm in around 9am or so.....

Bottom of GMR is where I'll start.....who's in?

ninja250
January 23rd, 2010, 06:56 AM
If I feel better today and can get my bike tuned I will be there.
However if I still feel like crap when the sun pops up today, I 'll have to skip it cause I haven't tuned it yet.

Got my fingers crossed. Just count me out until I say otherwise.. will know by tonight if I can make it tomorrow.

diablo250
January 23rd, 2010, 10:18 AM
It seems I've come up with a flu or cold virus. Feelin' terrible all the sudden.
Hopefully it goes away by whenever the sun clears up. I'd hate to miss a good ride before the rain comes back on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday.

They keep saying the rain is gone on the news but it's still raining here. They're smoking something on the commercial breaks.

I want to work for that news station... But seriously, I'm down to ride on Sunday. Adrian, PM me your number and we can coordinate.

pedaltothemetal
January 23rd, 2010, 11:14 AM
If I can make it on Sunday I will. PM me your number too!

samuel913
January 23rd, 2010, 11:21 AM
we r in!!! But this time my wife is ridding~ 9am is too early for me thou, is 10 possible like last time?

diablo250
January 23rd, 2010, 01:01 PM
If I feel better today and can get my bike tuned I will be there.
However if I still feel like crap when the sun pops up today, I 'll have to skip it cause I haven't tuned it yet.

Got my fingers crossed. Just count me out until I say otherwise.. will know by tonight if I can make it tomorrow.

kc-hit me up if you need help getting the bike tuned proper.

adri99an
January 23rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
Drove to GMR bottom and it was closed. Azusa side might be open. I'm gonna ask a friend to check for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

ninja250
January 23rd, 2010, 04:45 PM
Imma have to pass this time guys.
Still sick as a dawg and just now getting to dropping the fairings. Probably won't even get the chance to warm the bike up today. Been running around all day too not helping me get any better. Probably be spending tomorrow tuning the carbs and making a sync bottle etc.

Thanks for the offer on help Mike.

Just got my plate reflectors in today too. I have two extra if anybody needs them. I don't wanna get one of those stupid rear reflector tickets on GMR.

Also got the video camera mount to my RAM iphone mount so I can switch between video cameras and iPhone :D

Tomorrow is work on the bike day. Will have to make sure it's running tip top for the next ride. Hopefully I feel well enough to do that..

I see snow on the Corona mountains too out my window from Riverslide. Must be a good layer of snow up on GMR.

diablo250
January 23rd, 2010, 05:30 PM
If it's snowy we should ride malibu. We can meet at ralphs on Olympic and Cloverfield right off the 10 west.

ninja250
January 23rd, 2010, 06:48 PM
Doh!
I did drop the fairings and warm it up tonight even though I'm sick.
Tuning carbs is tricky. lol
I can't tell if I'm making any ground on the mixture screws or not. They're kinda funny to adjust.
Not to mention it's hard to reach them with the Shogun sliders in the way and the bike warmed up because of all the piping hot water hoses burning my fingers.

I'll have to play with it more tomorrow.
Best I can get is 3 seconds from 3000rpm to 1500rpm. Seems like I should be able to get it faster than that? Also I can only get it to do that after coming to a stop from moving. In the garage sitting for a minute it takes 4 second to go from 3000 to 1500.

adri99an
January 23rd, 2010, 11:48 PM
I would do the malibu ride but i gotta be somewhere at noon so it is not enough time.....i might just have to ride around the block tomorrow.....KC and Mike---you have my number text me yours as well tomorrow...stay dry boys

ninjabrewer
January 24th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Watched some of the vids, and admired the pics..........man I miss being in socal.

nb

iggysmalls
January 25th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Just got my plate reflectors in today too. I have two extra if anybody needs them. I don't wanna get one of those stupid rear reflector tickets on GMR.

What are the reflector requirements in CA?

ninja250
January 25th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I dunno, I was told the fuzz was handing out reflector tickets up on GMR.
I'm pretty sure they meant the rear plate reflector. (The one I hacked off the day I got the bike lol)

Now I just stuck two of these on there (http://www.motoleather.com/22-1601.html) and it's small and out of the way and I have a reflector on the back in case they try to play that game on me. I have two left if anybody needs some. I bought four on ebay for like $6 shipped and only used two. They screw right on to your license plate on the bottom two holes.

See Adrian's plate reflector in our pics earlier in the thread too.

"CYA"
Cover Your A**!

Make sure you have your sidemarker reflectors too..
Most cops don't even know on the street but the cops up on GMR are there for one reason. Motorcycles and Honda rockets. There's nothing else back there besides a burnt canyon view and twisty roads for people to play on. Cops back there are there to ticket people playing and if you aren't caught playing they are educated on the laws of your play vehicle so they can get you that way.

ninja250
January 25th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Plate reflectors taken!

adri99an
January 25th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I remember when he/dick tagged me....he said, "Oh I see you have no rear reflectors"---I was like come on now!!!......he didnt care that I was also a civil servent.....a pure fix it hassle ticket.....

iggysmalls
January 26th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Do we need front reflectors? Did the cop cite a CVC (CMC...)? I'd be interested in reading it.