View Full Version : Got rear ended while at a stoplight.

dkstariob
January 8th, 2010, 04:25 PM
First accident I've gotten into and it happened around 2 AM. Car just rammed into the back of the bike and the bike was laying on its right side. I'm fine except that I have some (not much) lower back pains. My insurance only covers liability and comprehensive. The guy admitted that he was at fault and he kept repeating that he couldn't see that "tiny" light from the back of my bike. The back fender which has the license plate, license back light, reflectors, and etc is swinging out and the cops just put it on the passenger seat and tied it with some yellow caution tape. My rear brake lever is dented in, rear tired is shredded up, right fairings are scratched up, my right mirror is loose, and the exhaust is dented in/scratched up (looks f-ing terrible). He has liability insurance and my insurance agent is waiting for the police report and claim number before moving things. He is confident that the bike will be taken care of by his insurance provider. One thing that really worried me is that my bike has been running cherry. But when I went back to the parking lot (left it there overnight because I was too shocked to jump back on the saddle again) to ride it back home, it took me many many many tries to just start it back up. It kept hesitating and choking. It would only run with choke and then back to normal. It is possible that I might be facing mechanical problems as well? And what should I expect in the next few days? For the bike to be taken to a shop or to get credit for the parts I will need to get my bike to normal? Thanks.

silver_bullet
January 8th, 2010, 04:33 PM
That's ******, I know how it is. You're sitting there waiting for traffic and all of a sudden you get punted. I got rear ended at a stop sign literally 5 minutes after getting my motorcycle license.

I'm not sure about your insurance but I have full coverage and I called them from the scene and State Farm told me to take it to a shop and they would get the money out of the lady's insurance company. There wasn't anything wrong with my bike because I kinda saw it coming and was letting out on the clutch so I just got sent across the road without eating the pavement.

As for damage, if it was running on the ground there very well could be damage. Call your insurance agent and ask if you should wait for the insurance game or take the bike to a dealer immediately. Get it checked extremely thoroughly as with you and the other party only having liability you'll probably get one shot at repairs.

Make sure you document the back pain. Not to sound like I'm all about claims but it COULD be more than you think. If it is you want it documented...if it isn't then so be it.

dkstariob
January 8th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks silver for the sound advice. Yeah, I felt like being at a stop light was one of the few places where I could be safe. i never imagined that my first accident would involve me being in neutral.

silver_bullet
January 8th, 2010, 04:43 PM
No problem. People just don't pay attention. The lady that hit me was texting. The truck that was infront of me went. I rolled up to the stop sign and looked in my mirror. She looked up quick and hit the gas harder than I thought she should so I tried to get away fast but she still put me across the intersection. I was pretty livid with her. "She didn't see me" I had a few choiced words about her driving and called the police after. I didn't know if there was unseen damage and didn't want to have to fix a problem that could have been avoided if there wasn't an accident report

ninja250
January 8th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Carbed bikes usually get a little flooded and hard to start after you drop them. It might be normal.. maybe not.

Snake
January 8th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Dennis, Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad to hear that you are ok.
Cagers not seeing my tail-light was one of my biggest fears so I installed lights in the pods and put in the brightest lights bulbs I could find. I also manualy modulate my brake lights by pressing the front brake handle several times when I see a car aproaching from behind.
Make sure you get your back checked out by your doctor. It may not hurt much now but it start to bother you days or even weeks later so like silver said get it checked out and documented.

andrewexd
January 8th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Glad you're ok, also good thing that the guy has insurance. Reading your description I think it may get totaled which might be better in the long run, harder to (re)sell a bike thats been crashed no matter the damage or how well it was fixed. The plastics are expensive and so is shop labor. I would take it to a good shop and get a quote to replace everything with OEM parts that has ANY damage on it.

Did you buy it used or new and is it paid off ? If it gets totaled you probably won't be satisfied with the payout, especially if you bought it new. If they try to lowball you, get listings from cycletrader, ebay, craigslist, etc. and get as much money as possible.

Got any pictures ?

dkstariob
January 8th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Glad you're ok, also good thing that the guy has insurance. Reading your description I think it may get totaled which might be better in the long run, harder to (re)sell a bike thats been crashed no matter the damage or how well it was fixed. The plastics are expensive and so is shop labor. I would take it to a good shop and get a quote to replace everything with OEM parts that has ANY damage on it.

Did you buy it used or new and is it paid off ? If it gets totaled you probably won't be satisfied with the payout, especially if you bought it new. If they try to lowball you, get listings from cycletrader, ebay, craigslist, etc. and get as much money as possible.

Got any pictures ?

Yeah people have been telling me that the bike might get totaled. Is it ok for me to ask them to replace fairings that were dinged up before the crash (like the left side), just want to know if thats legal. The right side is totally messed up. God that rear brake lever looks nasty smashed in like that.

andrewexd
January 8th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Yeah people have been telling me that the bike might get totaled. Is it ok for me to ask them to replace fairings that were dinged up before the crash (like the left side), just want to know if thats legal. The right side is totally messed up. God that rear brake lever looks nasty smashed in like that.

Well, they don't know the condition your bike was in before the accident and technically they have to replace everything no matter how small the damage so... yes you could probably get it replaced without any hassle. and even if they do question the damage, if you claim ignorance they can't do anything. I still think it will be totaled either way. Did you have the bike checked out ? any damage (including small scratches) to the forks, rims, and/or frame is usually automatically totaled. They should also replace any of your gear as long you have your reciepts. It is illegal to take or switch any parts off the bike before they take it away.

silver_bullet
January 8th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Do you have any pics of it? By the sounds of it there's a good chance it's totaled...but ya never know.

dkstariob
January 8th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Well, they don't know the condition your bike was in before the accident and technically they have to replace everything no matter how small the damage so... yes you could probably get it replaced without any hassle. and even if they do question the damage, if you claim ignorance they can't do anything. I still think it will be totaled either way. Did you have the bike checked out ? any damage (including small scratches) to the forks, rims, and/or frame is usually automatically totaled. They should also replace any of your gear as long you have your reciepts. It is illegal to take or switch any parts off the bike before they take it away.

Hmm but common sense would say that since the bike was lain on the right side, the left side should be the same it was before and after impact? Did not have the bike checked out yet. Im going to do it through the adjuster. My red brake light is functioning.

Do you have any pics of it? By the sounds of it there's a good chance it's totaled...but ya never know.

Sorry digicam not working lately. Ah shoot.

Greg_E
January 9th, 2010, 12:25 PM
You should push for a new machine. And keep track of that back pain as it could turn into something long term that drains your pocket on medical bills. I'd probably get one of the shiester lawyers involved to protect you from recurring medical expenses. A lot of them only take money when they win,and you can bet the win most cases when their money is on the line.

I would have been extremely tempted to punch the other driver for hitting me. Another case of pay attention stupid!

noche_caliente
January 9th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Dennis - I'm really sorry to hear this. I do agree with the others that there is a good likelihood that the bike will be totaled. It only takes about $2300 in damage to total them, and by the time you add in the cost of the plastics, the exhaust, the rearsets, levers, and probably a handlebar and the brake pedal, you're usually at that limit. There have been some others on here that have successfully fought with the adjusters to get closer to what they paid for the bikes, but the payouts are pretty crummy.
I also agree that you should get your back checked.

Now here's where I go into mom mode. Did you take the MSF? You might remember that they tell you to always shift into first at a stop and not put the bike into neutral. I know it's nice to be able to rest your left hand for a minute, but perhaps if you had been in gear, you could have pulled out of the way to avoid the accident. Just something to keep in mind if there's a next time.

dkstariob
January 9th, 2010, 08:27 PM
took the msf. the guy didnt see me at all. might have been worse if i was in motion. i was also at the front of the stop sign in a single lane

silver_bullet
January 9th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Gotta love some people. I guess I don't understand how they don't atleast see a HEAD. I mean my melon's pretty bug with a helmet on.

Snake
January 9th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Dennis how are you feeling after a few days have passed? Hope all is going well.

dkstariob
January 9th, 2010, 08:46 PM
thanks for the concern. back is better. just waiting to hear from the adjuster and looking on craigslist for bikes.

komohana
January 9th, 2010, 10:38 PM
damm dennis
sorry bout the hassle that goes along with this sorta thing..
good advise here. do make sure your back discomfort is documented. could be important later. let us know how things go

good luck bruddah

backinthesaddleagain
January 10th, 2010, 08:51 AM
sorry to hear. in rhode island rear ending driver is 100 percnt at fault.

Greg_E
January 10th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Considering the size of a motorcycle, and there was a stop sign, you have to wonder if the guy was just going to run the stop sign in the first place. Not much excuse for missing those damn signs.

captlombardi
January 14th, 2010, 03:28 PM
i laid my bike on its right side about 3 weeks after i bought it. probably wouldn't have been totaled but those adjusters go for the gold every time. scratch on my rear wheel = new set of wheels & new set of tires apparently, and a scratch on the frame = buff/sand/re powdercoat so the labor on that alone sent it sky high. that plus the cost of a stock muffler and exhaust is ridiculous (much much higher than a full aftermarket system). laying the bike on the right usually totals it. the left side, not so much. sorry to hear about the accident, all said and done it took about 6 weeks for me to get my bike back but now my insurance is cheaper (went to liability from full), and i have a full yosh carbon system with rejet! hope you feel better.

dkstariob
January 15th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks guys. Appreciate all of your input.

mrlmd
February 15th, 2010, 03:37 PM
If you had gone to see a doctor, first of all to see about any injury and followup, Xrays and other crap, as soon as you start talking to the other insurance company, they will buy you any bike you want so you don't go after them for physical injuries and long-term disability. You have to play their game to win.
But glad to hear you didn't get hurt, it could have been worse.

dkstariob
February 15th, 2010, 10:51 PM
They decided to just fix it up. $4200 in repair costs including labor. It should have been totaled but oh well. The cool thing is that the adjuster decided to replace some of the things on the left side that werent affected by the accident. They already ordered the parts and all. Gave me compensation for not having a vehicle which was very generous. So Im just playing the waiting game.

andrewexd
February 16th, 2010, 12:17 AM
umm why would you accept that ? I'd rather get the cash and buy a non crashed one.

dkstariob
February 16th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Bike was dropped a couple of times before the accident. So they're fixing things that were somewhat damaged before the crash. I asked if it should be totaled or not and the adjuster said no.

00v_Lucky
February 16th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Wow, glad to hear you're fine and I think back pain is the worst, I hope that it resolves quickly for you. I too am still suffering minor back pain from my spill. What really made me feel a bit more secure at night, or just on the road in general was buying a hi vis reflective vest. I hope you will invest in one too after some of the trauma fades and you feel ready to hop back on.

mrlmd
February 16th, 2010, 06:34 AM
For $4200 can't you buy a brand new bike and not have headaches from yours being fixed? Especially if you're getting other compensation for not having a bike. Tell them you want a brand new one, and by the way, your back and neck are killing you.