View Full Version : Angeles National Forest Hwy - 1/9/10

Beast
January 9th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I just got back from my first ride at Angeles Crest since the fires and let me tell you, it was SHOCKING. What was once a wilderness escape for locals Los Angeles residents and beyond is now but a desert filled with skeletons of trees and bushes for as far as the eye can see. I would estimate that regular patches of trees didn't start appearing until 18 miles from the base....18 MILES!

It's depressing really...it used to be a beautiful ride with lots of scenery to take in. On a good note, about 20 miles of asphalt has been repaved and visibility is top notch. With the trees gone, it's now possible to see through turns that were normally shrouded by trees and the contrast between the darker pavement and the the tan mountains makes it feel like you're riding on a black line through white paper.

Anyway, a fun ride...solemn if anything :) and this confirms that the Crest is actually open for business now.

kkim
January 9th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Sad as it may seem to you, nature has a way of recovering much better from these disasters than man does. In no time you'll see the greenery slowly return.

Enjoy the ride.

:)

pedaltothemetal
January 9th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I was there too!
Lot's of riders today because of the warm weather!

ninja250
January 10th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Is that highway 2?
Does it go all the way through to Mt High?
I have ridden that road but I ride the other side of it. Well, at least back when it didn't connect all the way through because it caved in or something.

Blue Ridge is the part of the 2 I used to ride. Wonder how it is up there now. I'll have to go investigate soon.

Beast
January 10th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Is that highway 2?
I have ridden that road but I ride the other side of it. Well, at least back when it didn't connect all the way through because it caved in or something.

Blue Ridge is the part of the 2 I used to ride. Wonder how it is up there now. I'll have to go investigate soon.

It doesn't go to Mt. High...at least to my knowledge. I've only ridden up to the part that was closed haha. We should go sometime. That's my favorite road!

ninja250
January 10th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I'm in..
Once I get this lil bike back together and running right. Might have to tinker with the jetting since I change to a pod filter before I can get my exhaust..

ninjabrewer
January 16th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Diablo250 and I rode up in the area of the Morris Dam fire and saw the same, I could not believe the view. It was amazing how much destruction there was. I can't remember the name of the road, but I was riding back from kjohnson21 and manycavies and we rode through an area that had been burned and saw a few houses, or what was left of them.

nb

Jester
January 20th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Is that highway 2?

It does go to Mt. High now that it's open through and through again and it is Hwy. 2 and boy what an all day ride it is. 67 miles from top to bottom and then back again. Nice way to scrub in new tires ;)

ninja250
January 20th, 2010, 06:40 AM
It does go to Mt. High now that it's open through and through again and it is Hwy. 2 and boy what an all day ride it is. 67 miles from top to bottom and then back again. Nice way to scrub in new tires ;)

Wot?! I'm there as soon as this system lets up! Noice!
Used to be the best road in LA for cars. I use to start from the Blue Ridge side and bomb it like a mad man up to the close off where you could see the mountain caved in on the road! Did a lot of telescope and photography stuff up there too (7,500' elev on Blue Ridge above Mt High)

In the summer you could bring your camera when you ride and leave it sitting on Polaris at night and get some wicked star trail photos.

I bet you ACH is taking a good hit right now with all this rain after those fires.=\