View Full Version : Aftermarket exhaust

Shano22
January 14th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I was wondering what the cheapest aftermarket exhaust system was for a 2005 Ninja 250. Either a 2 into 1 system or duals whichever is cheapest. Thanks!!! P.S. Whats your thoughts on pod filters?

Betlog
January 14th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Well there's cheapest and there's "bang-for-your-buck". I don't know what's the cheapest exhaust there is for our bikes but based on feedback from owners, they say the Area P full exhaust system is the best bang-for-your-buck system for our bikes currently.

http://www.areapnolimits.com/products/Slip-On-Exhaust-Kawasaki-Ninja-250R-2008.php

greg737
January 14th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I was wondering what the cheapest aftermarket exhaust system was for a 2005 Ninja 250.

How familiar is this "I don't want to spend any money on my motorcycle" talk?

What I'm wondering is how all these pennyless people got their hands on motorcycles in the first place?

Shano22
January 14th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I'm not pennyless at all i just not really want to get a $800 or some odd dollar yosh exhaust and then sell the bike after i put money into it. Would you rather make money or lose money on your bike?? Its your money do what u want with it but im not tryin to put more into it than i can get in case i want a 600cc in the future

Shano22
January 14th, 2010, 09:37 AM
also becausae im 17 years old i dont have much money as it is. it took 3 years to save up enough money and 3 jobs till i could get my bike.

2WheelGuy
January 14th, 2010, 10:21 AM
As others have said the Area P exhaust is the all around favorite. I'm looking at trying the Sportisi exhaust to save a few bucks on my race bike:
http://www.sportisimoto-usa.com/exhausts.php

What is wrong with the stock exhaust? Your 17 years old, remember "Loud pipes attract cops."

Pod filters can make a little more power, make it easier to work on the carbs, make the bike a little noisier, AND can be a real PIA to get jetted correctly unless you really know what you are doing.

Shano22
January 14th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Ya im not lookin for anything too loud but just something different. Thanks too for the info on the pod filters i dont know much about them.

Betlog
January 14th, 2010, 11:05 AM

What I'm wondering is how all these pennyless people got their hands on motorcycles in the first place?

Calm down man. Some people can't afford a car so they buy a motorcycle as a mode of transportation. It's cheaper to buy, maintain, and mpg is awesome. Be thankful you can buy a motorcycle as a "toy."

Betlog
January 14th, 2010, 11:06 AM
BTW, the link I gave above was for the 2008, the first gen full system is here http://www.areapnolimits.com/products/Slip-On-Exhaust-Kawasaki-EX250-Ninja-1988.php

2WheelGuy
January 14th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I just noticed that the OP has a 2nd gen bike not a 3rd gen. My favorite exhaust for that bike is the Muzzy. Looks good, works good, well made and not horribly expensive.

http://www.muzzys.com/EX250/index.html

Be sure and order the optional "quiet core" muffler with that exhaust. The standard muffler is the race version and is very loud. The quiet core is still loud but if you keep the revs down your neighbors won't want to kill you.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z193/Chester1469/Ninja250tail/IMGP0897a_resize.jpg

Shano22
January 14th, 2010, 12:29 PM
ya i love the muzzys. There is one on ebay for $410 that i might get. I've heard that since its a 2 into 1 exhaust it sounds really amazing for a parallel twin

nate-bama
January 14th, 2010, 06:58 PM
spend some time on ebay..mine was $150

as for pod filters select few seem to agree that the stock air box is more restrictive than the stock exhaust

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33784

nate-bama
January 14th, 2010, 06:59 PM

wow not every one flys jets for a living

Shano22
January 14th, 2010, 07:14 PM
thank u nate-bama. Im soooo jealous of that muzzy you found. And for real buddy, i work at eat n park i mean come on i make minimum wage its hard to save $1500 makin $7.25 an hour a lot less than a pilot.

greg737
January 14th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Didn't realize you were only 17.

That was a long time ago for me. I had some crappy jobs back then: Taco Bell, cutting grass, bussing tables and washing dishes.

One thing I didn't have was a motorcycle. Every bit of money I earned at my crappy teenage jobs was quickly eaten up by what I saw as "the essentials" which were: saving for college, maintaining my POS 1973 Datsun 610, and dating. Lucky for me, my best friend's dad had all sorts of bikes in the basement and the only one off-limits to us was the Honda CBX (we could look, but not touch).

Paid my own way through the University of Alabama, Birmingham. Wow, that sounds like something an old fart would say, doesn't it?

Verus Cidere
January 15th, 2010, 12:44 AM
As far as I know there are 4 different options as far as brands for pregen exhausts.

The cheapest exhaust you can find that isn't used is probably the 2bros. That set is a dual slip-on system. It's also the LOUDEST option. Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Two-Brothers-Exhaust-Kawasaki-Ninja-EX250-EX-250-88-07_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5638c96c89QQitemZ370319912073QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPa rtsQ5fAccessories
Muzzy and Yoshimura cost about the same, so we'll talk about those two next.
Yoshimura has 2 different setups for this bike. They have a dual slip on option (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWASAKI-NINJA-EX-250-88-07-YOSHIMURA-RS3-SO-SS-EXHAUST_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem518cfc86aeQQitemZ350257710766QQptZMotorcycles Q5fPartsQ5fAccessories) and the harder to find 2-into-1 option. The full system was discontinued due to a lack of interest, so it's fairly rare now. I saw one here on ninjette not too long ago for $400 though.

You already know about Muzzy, but one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that they seriously screwed up the clearance on the headpipes. If you get a muzzy, you'll either have to cut your bottom pan fairing, or let it melt on the exhaust.

The final option is what I have, the Area-P exhaust. I think it's the best looking option for the bike, and it's definitely the quietest (if you get the quiet core). Also, if you or someone you know has the knowledge to tune the bike correctly, it will run better with this system. Area-P is also the only brand that offers a carbon fiber exhaust for this bike. I do agree that this system is the most bang for your buck.

Now that the price citations are out of the way, let's focus on other stuff. First of all, congrats on the bike and +1000 for being under 18 and paying for your bike. I did the same thing. I bought the bike when I was 16 and have loved it since (1.25 years since). I've played with it some, but I will say this: Waiting until you have enough money is much better if you're looking to really maximize the bike's potential. I understand that making money is hard right now. I'm totally broke right now. I will also agree with dijour and say that if you're really only looking for resale value, leave the stockers on. My exhaust system cost me over $600 and I wouldn't dream of hiking up the bike's price more than half that when it comes time to sell it. It's all up to you though. Have fun. :D

Shano22
January 15th, 2010, 05:50 AM
its alright greg no harm done. And i kinda want to hang onto the bike for as long as possible just cause its an awesome bike and fun to ride. I found a dealer that will sell me the Yosh RS3 slip on for $389 compared to the two brothers which are $410. Which would be the better option?? The yosh or the two brothers? I also heard that they both do not require jetting most of the time.

Snake
January 15th, 2010, 07:41 AM
My vote is for the two brothers due to a more "deep throaty" sound. As far as rejeting I would have it done just to get the best performance out of the bike because it is set on the lean side from the factory.

Shano22
January 15th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Ok thanks for the info! I heard the two brothers at a dealership that were already on a '06 250 they sound really good for a 250

ASecretNinja
January 15th, 2010, 05:04 PM
You already know about Muzzy, but one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that they seriously screwed up the clearance on the headpipes. If you get a muzzy, you'll either have to cut your bottom pan fairing, or let it melt on the exhaust.

100% True, but it's an easy fix with a Dremel. And no one is going to see it.

Area-P is also the only brand that offers a carbon fiber exhaust for this bike.

100% false. Muzzy offers a carbon fiber canister for the 250 (and it's cheaper than the titanium can).
http://www.muzzys.com/catalog/cat_photos/exhaust/carcan.jpg

Be sure and order the optional "quiet core" muffler with that exhaust. The standard muffler is the race version and is very loud.

I have the Oval or "racing" canister, and the exhaust is not nearly as loud as everyone is trying to scare you into thinking that it is. When I installed mine I thought that it was going to sound like a de-baffled Harley with straight pipes or something. Now once you get past 9 or 10k RPM, the thing screams and sounds awesome. But don't let people scare you into thinking it's super loud. I live in a nice residential neighborhood, and people wave at me all the time. Never one complaint.

nate-bama
January 15th, 2010, 06:39 PM
thank u nate-bama. Im soooo jealous of that muzzy you found. And for real buddy, i work at eat n park i mean come on i make minimum wage its hard to save $1500 makin $7.25 an hour a lot less than a pilot.

in all honesty buy the air pods, then spend your time dialing in your carb...get 108-110-112 main jets some wahers to shim your needles and you'll get 9/10 the benifits of a full blown intake/exhaust...all the 2 in 1 does is look pretty. trust me on this none of theses other people around have played with their intake side first then put a 2 in 1 on. And paying 500 for a exhaust on a 2000 dollar bike is goofy..then paying someone to put it on LOL

pods say 60 bones, then go to a kawi ..harley dealer get said main jets like 8 bucks a pop..learn to work on your own bike...priceless here's the tech help

after you learn how to play with your air fuel mixture be easy, take your time and search ebay you can get a used muzzy( the most AVAILIBLE 250 exhaust ) for 200 or less if you wait and take your time

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_to_upgrade_my_intake
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_to_improve_my_carburetor_jetting
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Exhaust

2WheelGuy
January 15th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280452069880&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:MOTORS:1123

Complete Muzzy with a starting bid of $100

nate-bama
January 16th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280452069880&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:MOTORS:1123

Complete Muzzy with a starting bid of $100

that not a bad price but i'd be wary of the header wrap+ moisture equals rust?

before i found mine for $150, $200 seemed to be a decent price..almost got 1 for 175 but another bidder got me and he got it for 176

Shano22
January 16th, 2010, 06:00 PM
thanks. Im watchin it now and im goin to bid probably like $150 and hopefully he takes it but if not im goin to just buy it now cause its the cheapest i've seen a muzzy

Shano22
January 18th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks for all the help guys!!!! I'm going to Super Dave's cycles this weekend to order my two brothers slip ons!!! I'll post pics when i get them on!! :thumbup:

null0
January 18th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Slip-on's are sort of pointless performance wise. The main benefit of a Muzzy and I haven't seen it mentioned so far is the weight reduction. Along the lines of 18lbs. with the removal of the center stand and dual canister stock exhaust.

Shano22
January 28th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I ended up gettin a used pair of Cobra F1R's for $150 buck at a local dealer and salvage place and they sound sweeetttt :D they're loud as hell too. I notice a little improvement in acceleration and top end. Definitely worth $150 bucks just for the sound rather than $400 for the two brothers or other brand slip ons.

Zim
January 30th, 2010, 08:59 PM
You can get a full Area P exhaust for $350.

nate-bama
January 30th, 2010, 09:19 PM
yeah the area p has a great rep LOL

Zim
January 30th, 2010, 09:37 PM
What's the rep?

nate-bama
January 31st, 2010, 11:04 AM
well the couple guys that bought one had all kinds of fitment issues it seems. why not find a used muzzy at half the cost? the exhaust does nothing for the performance , jet your carbs and put pod filters on

Alex
January 31st, 2010, 03:26 PM
I don't remember any fitment issues on the production pre-gen exhaust from AreaP. The prototype was done on one of our member's bikes, and there was quite a bit of tweaking on that model before Kerry finalized the design for production.

null0
January 31st, 2010, 05:41 PM
well the couple guys that bought one had all kinds of fitment issues it seems. why not find a used muzzy at half the cost? the exhaust does nothing for the performance , jet your carbs and put pod filters on

I've never seen an Area P in person. It's either Muzzy, Yoshimura or Kerker. I've never even heard Area P mentioned in dicussions outside this board. You are dead wrong about the exhaust doing nothing for performance though. You drop 18 lbs off a bike with as little HP as ours it makes a noticeable difference.

Alex
January 31st, 2010, 06:42 PM
IIRC, AreaP's owner used to run Kerker, has worked with Jardine and White Brothers, and is an active member of this board. (more info here (http://www.areapnolimits.com/home.html)) Pics and info about their 2 into 1 exhaust for the pre-gens can be found up in this thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13852).

Zim
January 31st, 2010, 08:11 PM
I thought the guy with fitment issues had a crashed bike with a broken fairing and hired a mechanic who re-used exhaust gaskets? Anyway, the installations look great on the YouTube clips I've seen and in the fitment/clearance pics of the cowl Kerry hppily sent me. The Area P sounded the best to me, like a Subaru, the Muzzy sounds raspy, like a Honda. I ordered one on Thursday, should arrive tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device

Verus Cidere
February 1st, 2010, 12:50 AM
Yeah, the fitment problems were on my bike, which is a salvage. I found out based on this job that the guy is no longer my mechanic. I'm getting it fixed completely by my new mechanic who comes highly recommended by some friends. I didn't even know that this shop existed until very recently. Apparently I'm an idiot for this, as I've been told by countless individuals. I probably should've just done the work myself, but I thought I'd mess something up. Pretty stupid now as he screwed it up for me.

nate-bama
February 1st, 2010, 03:05 PM
I don't remember any fitment issues on the production pre-gen exhaust from AreaP. The prototype was done on one of our member's bikes, and there was quite a bit of tweaking on that model before Kerry finalized the design for production.

Out of the three or so i can recall, one had a inept mechanic, the other did'nt exactly give a glowing review and has been missing since and then there's the jet pilot who does'nt like "budget's"

Toan
February 2nd, 2010, 04:36 PM
I just recently placed the Two Bros CF S/O and it just sounds beasty, the videos on youtube and whatnot does not do any of them justice. for a good $365 I bought it on Ebay and it was a DIY thing. Just remember to jet it even though they don't require.

Shano22
February 2nd, 2010, 06:36 PM
got me a pair of loud ass cobra F1R's and they are sick. Got them for $150 buck used no dents and just a few dings

nate-bama
February 2nd, 2010, 06:55 PM
got me a pair of loud ass cobra F1R's and they are sick. Got them for $150 buck used no dents and just a few dings

right on ...yo sickly loud

so did you jet your carbs?

greg737
February 2nd, 2010, 11:01 PM
and then there's the jet pilot who does'nt like "budget's"

Yeah, that's right.... there's me. My Area P was easy to install and has worked perfectly (I owe it all to following the simple directions provided with the exhaust system).

Did I offend someone..... again?

Shano22
February 3rd, 2010, 06:25 AM
not yet i just started it up and rode it once cause its been about 20 degrees up here in PA. but bought the 110 and 115 main jets and im gettin the 108s and im going to try them out and see what works the best

nate-bama
February 3rd, 2010, 01:36 PM
mine runs great with the 108's with both the stock exhaust and the muzzy

Alex
February 3rd, 2010, 02:05 PM
Did I offend someone..... again?

Not as far as I can tell. ;)

Shano22
February 3rd, 2010, 06:30 PM
ya im pretty sure those will work just fine. im just goin to fine tune them to make sure those make it run the best. by the way hows that muzzy sound??

nate-bama
February 3rd, 2010, 06:51 PM
well ok i guess, to each his own

but it's not worth 500+

Shano22
February 4th, 2010, 05:51 AM
ya good thing you got it for $150 thats why I got those cobras cause im just lookin for sound and not really looking to gain a bunch of horsepower out of a +/- 30 HP bike

nate-bama
February 4th, 2010, 01:38 PM
ya good thing you got it for $150 thats why I got those cobras cause im just lookin for sound and not really looking to gain a bunch of horsepower out of a +/- 30 HP bike

The point I want to get across is that I noticed no difference between the stock exhaust and the muzzy , all the noticable performance increases came from tuning my carb and using the pod filters. Maybe there would be a difference on a dyno between the exhausts but it's not noticable riding. I happen to like the bike better with a 2 in 1 but can't imagine paying someone to do this:rolleyes:

cafe426
February 9th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I just picked up a much used Kerker on ebay for $121. The can looks like it needs some dents bumped out and it will probably need to be re-packed but the price was right. I'm not expecting a power gain though I've a pair of K&N filters and am looking for a jet kit. The bonus is in weight loss. My Ninjette is a '99 I bought last year for a track day ride at NHMS. It's basically stock with an '08 shock, a fork oil change, and pirelli MT75s. I had my FUSA license in '02 and ran a SV650 that season at Loudon and the Ninjette is every bit as much fun so as long as my faculties remain relatively intact I'll keep using it for Track-Days (I'll be 64 in April). Lots of good info on this forum!!!

Zim
February 9th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I had my FUSA license in '02 and ran a SV650 that season at Loudon and the Ninjette is every bit as much fun so as long as my faculties remain relatively intact I'll keep using it for Track-Days (I'll be 64 in April).

That's officially awesome. :thumbup:

vadar12
February 18th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Just thought if you were looking for loud so far the 2 bro's is the way to go. I work at a Harley dealership and everytime I tinker on my wifes bike I take it around the block and watch the hog riders turn green with envy. :)

P.S. Make sure your helmet dampens noise a bit or you will get tired of the Drone.
Cheers

tomazws
February 25th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I'd prolly get flamed for this, but wouldn't leaving it stock the cheapest? I don't quite understand why you would want to enhance the farting noise from these 250s.

Shano22
February 25th, 2010, 05:47 AM
because i like to mod my bike and make it louder and the stock exhaust is restrictive and it doesnt even compare to the sound of the cobra F1r's

asherdink
March 3rd, 2010, 01:52 PM
For those of you with Area-P exhausts, what's you're input? I just heard about them not too long ago and am seriously considering them for my 2007 Ninja 250. I really want to get rid of the dual pipes and just have the one. The left one has burnt my legs more than enough times, not to mention I'd like to actually USE the helmet lock.

Verus Cidere
March 3rd, 2010, 03:14 PM
My bike is the one that has had the most trouble with the Area-P exhaust, and I still think it was more than worth it. It looks far better, sounds MUCH better while still not being overpoweringly loud (I have the long quiet core exhaust), and runs better while still not being jetted correctly. I know this because my sister just bought a 250 with the stock exhaust system. I've ridden it a few times and I can feel the power difference as well as seeing it on the tach. That's my story. It is one of the most expensive exhausts for this bike, but IMO the significance in difference between the volumes is enough by itself. It's louder than stock, and loud enough to make you more noticeable on the road without being so loud that it becomes obnoxious to the neighbors. Hope that helps! :D

Jakester9500
March 3rd, 2010, 06:05 PM
do any of these exhausts have a sound that isn't like that of a dirtbike? i was watching a lot of videos on youtube, and it seems a lot of them don't sound like the idea most people have of a "street bike".

just wondering.

Verus Cidere
March 3rd, 2010, 10:25 PM
I haven't heard any exhausts for the 250 that are high-pitched like you would expect from a sportbike. All that I have heard are fairly low pitched, at least until you get to the higher rpm's. Here's a link to the Area-P site for the pregen Ninja 250. It has sound bytes attached for both the standard and quiet core exhausts. While you can't really get any concept of the true volume, you can get a general idea of what the tone is better than the little blips on the throttle that the youtube videos give you.

http://www.areapnolimits.com/products/Slip-On-Exhaust-Kawasaki-EX250-Ninja-1988.php

greg737
March 4th, 2010, 12:43 PM
do any of these exhausts have a sound that isn't like that of a dirtbike? i was watching a lot of videos on youtube, and it seems a lot of them don't sound like the idea most people have of a "street bike".

It's sort of a "Good news, Bad news" situation with the EX-250.

The good news is that Kawasaki set the engine up to be as powerful, lightweight, and rev-happy as they could (considering the bike's price).

The bad news is that the formula for a powerful, lightweight, rev-happy parallel twin engine has to include a flat-plane crank (which means the crankshaft has it's main bearings placed 180 degrees out from each other). In a parallel twin engine with a flat-plane crank the cylinders fire only 180 degrees of apart and then there's nothing but intake, exhaust and compression going on for the remaining 540 degrees of crankshaft rotation.

So, no matter what exhaust system you put on it, it's gonna sound farty. But at least you can choose how loud your farts are.

Jakester9500
March 4th, 2010, 01:03 PM
It's sort of a "Good news, Bad news" situation with the EX-250.

The good news is that Kawasaki set the engine up to be as powerful, lightweight, and rev-happy as they could (considering the bike's price).

The bad news is that the formula for a powerful, lightweight, rev-happy parallel twin engine has to include a flat-plane crank (which means the crankshaft has it's main bearings placed 180 degrees out from each other). In a parallel twin engine with a flat-plane crank the cylinders fire only 180 degrees of apart and then there's nothing but intake, exhaust and compression going on for the remaining 540 degrees of crankshaft rotation.

So, no matter what exhaust system you put on it, it's gonna sound farty. But at least you can choose how loud your farts are.

beautifully put.

and i was listening to drive bys, revs and all kinds of stuff from different manufacturers on youtube, just doing some research

ansabolic
June 24th, 2011, 04:15 PM
in all honesty buy the air pods, then spend your time dialing in your carb...get 108-110-112 main jets some wahers to shim your needles and you'll get 9/10 the benifits of a full blown intake/exhaust...all the 2 in 1 does is look pretty. trust me on this none of theses other people around have played with their intake side first then put a 2 in 1 on. And paying 500 for a exhaust on a 2000 dollar bike is goofy..then paying someone to put it on LOL

pods say 60 bones, then go to a kawi ..harley dealer get said main jets like 8 bucks a pop..learn to work on your own bike...priceless here's the tech help

after you learn how to play with your air fuel mixture be easy, take your time and search ebay you can get a used muzzy( the most AVAILIBLE 250 exhaust ) for 200 or less if you wait and take your time

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_to_upgrade_my_intake
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_to_improve_my_carburetor_jetting
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Exhaust

i am having the hardest time finding a 2 in1 header for my 04 ex250. if ya find/hear of any deals, please lmk! :thumbup:
thanks!!!!!!:D