View Full Version : deciding on a back protector w/c style you guys think is better

DEXSPEED
January 17th, 2010, 09:55 PM
examples of styles i'm looking at.any experience on any of this product comments/thoughts will help out alot.:D:thumbup:
i just want opinions between the vest type or strap type back protectors.

Betlog
January 17th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Looks good. I just recently purchased the Knox Aegis and love them... very comfortable and light (http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Categories.bok?category=KNOX+Armor%3ABody+Armor%3ABack+and+Spine)

P.S. the one with the chest protector looks like it offers better protection so I'd say go with that between the two.

ninjablk08
January 17th, 2010, 10:36 PM
i wear this on all my jackets

null0
January 17th, 2010, 11:33 PM
The ICON is bulky. Since it's both front and back. I have a back protector in my Joe Rocket suit that I barely notice. When I wear the ICON under my Teknic leather jacket (another one) it restricts my head movement (side to side) because it pushes the collar up. Definitely try it on first or make sure you can return it.

2WheelGuy
January 18th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Get one that is comfortable and not a pain to take on and off.

I like this one:

http://www.teknicgear.com/storage/accessories/aSpine-Guard-7-Link.jpg

Full back coverage and just one big velcro strap.

http://www.teknicgear.com/spine-guard-7-link/

Betlog
January 18th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I agree in that you should get one that is comfortable... otherwise you won't use it.

Snake
January 18th, 2010, 12:28 AM
The second one with the chest protector looks like it offers good front and back protection. Make sure you try it on first to make sure it is comfortable so you will wear it.

ninja250
January 19th, 2010, 04:10 PM
The Icon chest/back protector you show above looked like it would fit under a jacket OK to me. They looked good, I forgot to try one on when I bought mine today..
Seeing a couple downs got me nervous I think.
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/ninja250Rse/protectorDainese.jpg

austexjg
January 19th, 2010, 04:17 PM
My Icon vest causes no problem under my jacket - chest protection too.

DEXSPEED
January 19th, 2010, 04:36 PM
My Icon vest causes to problem under my jacket - chest protection too.

did you mean causes too much problem?:confused:

ninja250
January 19th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I think he means no problem.
I didn't see anything wrong with them, I looked at them today. Looked like it would have fit under my jacket OK.
Looked cool, like it was made from carbon fiber or something but probably not I don't know.

Any back protector you can get is better than none.

binlagin
January 19th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Anyone have any experience with the Knox Aegis?

JT7HTfJexpA

ninja250
January 19th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I don't, but get a review from someone outside of the company along with that one.

DEXSPEED
January 19th, 2010, 05:13 PM
i think betlog just bought one reply#2

binlagin
January 19th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks for pointing that out Dexspeed.

The review does give a very good close up and idea how it fits and how it all works.

The back protector is the last piece of my track suit I need before I'm able to head to the track this spring. I'll ready spent alot of $$ so far... but I guess I should shell out one last time.

adri99an
January 19th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I have the ICON Field Armor Vest---I like it because during the summer---I just put it over my tee and GO!! I feel well protected. Under the jacket its not so bad---get the one that you can adjust from the top and bottom.....

Betlog
January 19th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks for pointing that out Dexspeed.

The review does give a very good close up and idea how it fits and how it all works.

The back protector is the last piece of my track suit I need before I'm able to head to the track this spring. I'll ready spent alot of $$ so far... but I guess I should shell out one last time.

Yeah. I'm pretty happy with mine. I like the adjustability of the side straps and the fact that it's very light and not too bulky. Quality is also very good. Here is a review that is outside of sportbiketrackgear.com (just did a quick google) http://www.bikechatter.co.uk/protector-armour/1001-knox-aegis-back-protector.html

Cedilla
January 19th, 2010, 09:27 PM
It looks like the ICON vest offers more protection, but if I was buying a back protector I would just buy one that slips in my jacket. Seems like I could drop it in the pouch in my jacket and just forget about it, as opposed to having one more peace of gear to put on before i go riding.

Safety should be the priority in gear selection, but the best gear in the world won't protect you while its sitting in the closet. So its really important to buy something you will wear every time you throw a leg over your metal steed.

karlosdajackal
January 20th, 2010, 12:44 AM
I have a Dainese Gillet Wave 2 neck. Which zips up at the front and also straps around your waist. I has a piece that sits against the back of your neck.mmI don't wear it all the time even though its comfortable, its never going to be as comfortable as not wearing it :eek:

I've tried to start wearing it again, so it got a couple of hours use yesterday. As someone said any chest/back protector is better than none. I believe all the chest/back protectors on the market at the moment allow too much energy transfer anyway, so if you hit hard enough you will still broken ribs and stuff, but it will be a hell of a lot better that if you didn't have one at all.

They should call them chest/back damage reducers, no such thing as protection. I honestly think that If you don't want to get hurt for the same money as a decent protector I could probably get a days instruction in road-craft.

sharky nrk
January 20th, 2010, 04:53 AM
The best gear means nothing if you don't wear it, for me at least I think a CE rated in jacket back protector would make much more sense - I won't ride without my jackets period but I may not take the extra time to strap on another back piece before hand.

ninja250
January 20th, 2010, 06:25 AM
My jacket had a sorry excuse for a back protector in it. Lil 1/4" thick piece of foam. Had to pull it out of the slot to make my Dainese Wave 3 fit under the jacket. Fits good! Looks normal! I like it. Nice and comfy. :) The lady at the shop insisted I try all the sizes she had to get the right size... that's good customer service! She even went through the back room for a while to find the size I took home with me. Won't leave the house without it now, like my boots!

One wrong move doing wheelies and I'll be flat on my back. Better have one on at all times.

Flashmonkey
January 20th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Anyone have any experience with the Knox Aegis?

I have a Knox Aegis. It's an excellent back protector, and it's fairly comfortable, but it's bulky as hell. I've only worn it out on the street twice because I look like a frigin ninja turtle when I wear it under my leather jacket.

You should definitely try it on under your jacket before you buy it and see how comfortable you'd be wearing that combination on a daily/regular basis. If you're not a fan of having to strip that off or put it on every single time, look for an insert replacement for your jacket instead.

Nfiniti
January 20th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I have a Knox Aegis. It's an excellent back protector, and it's fairly comfortable, but it's bulky as hell. I've only worn it out on the street twice because I look like a frigin ninja turtle when I wear it under my leather jacket.

You should definitely try it on under your jacket before you buy it and see how comfortable you'd be wearing that combination on a daily/regular basis. If you're not a fan of having to strip that off or put it on every single time, look for an insert replacement for your jacket instead.

I also have a knox aegis, I wear it all the time under my leather jacket (with the included foam back protector removed). It does add some bulk but not too much.

Flashmonkey
January 21st, 2010, 11:00 AM
Well I'm fairly bulky as it is already LOL....so the back protector just adds more bulk to the back area where my jacket is already tight. It's more of a personal grievance than a specific one to the product. The back protector itself is outstanding.

Nfiniti
January 23rd, 2010, 05:14 PM
Well I'm fairly bulky as it is already LOL....so the back protector just adds more bulk to the back area where my jacket is already tight. It's more of a personal grievance than a specific one to the product. The back protector itself is outstanding.

I agree, i would love to be able to wear a back protector under some normal clothes and not look like a ninja turtle. The turtle hump over motorcycle clothes doesn't look out of the ordinary though.

ninja250
January 25th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Just a lil update on my Dainese Wave 3 back protector.

Totally comfortable! Had it on all day today and not a single problem, poke, annoying itchy feeling or ache from it!
It's like a weight belt. It helps my posture on the bike, helps keep my back tighter and just flat out feels good to wear! I actually like wearing it when I'm on the bike because it's like a kidney/back belt too. Definitely worth the purchase. Don't know how it'll fare in a crash yet but let's hope I don't have to find out!

So far I dig it! Not restrictive at all.
Only time I notice it's there is when I notice I have extra lower back support and that's nice! My back isn't so good to begin with.

DEXSPEED
January 29th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Decided on the icon field armor feels good under my jacket still on trial basis for 30 days for returns
Posted via Mobile Device