View Full Version : Time for an oil change?

Whitedogpoo
May 23rd, 2021, 08:34 AM
I've got a 2019 N400 which had it's first service (including oil/filter change) in May 2020 with around 300 miles on the clock. I bought it in April this year with around 350 miles on the clock and the dealer did another service (including oil/filter change) before I picked it up. So, should I still be looking at doing a 600 mile oil/filter change? It's out of warranty, so won't be compromising any warranty if I delay a change. What would you do?

InvisiBill
May 23rd, 2021, 09:00 AM
If it's already had two oil changes, you shouldn't need to do it again at 600mi.

I recommend you change your break-in oil at 75 to 100 miles, 100 to 150 kilometers. Your engine does shed a fair amount of metal particles in the first 20-50 miles, and I really can't understand why you would want this stuff floating around your bearings for the first 600 miles, 1000 kilometers.

By doing the early oil change(s), the engine is probably a little better off than following the manual's schedule. Even if the dealer didn't actually change the oil when you bought it, you're probably still ok since the first oil change should've gotten rid of the initial break-in crud.

But also keep in mind that oil is the lifeblood of your engine and oil changes are simple. If you ever have any doubts about its condition, changing the oil is cheap, easy insurance vs. severely damaging your engine.

Whitedogpoo
June 10th, 2021, 09:42 AM
Oil and filter were defo new when I got it. Just wondering how much break-in crud would still accumulate after the initial 350miles. Think I'll leave it a bit before changing again as, as you say, first oil change would've cleared out the initial stuff. Cheers

dcj13
June 10th, 2021, 05:43 PM
The most important thing is never letting an engine get to too low on oil or coolant. Overheating kills!