View Full Version : What do you use to shield your eyes from the sun?

Talonne
January 18th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I am curious as to what solution everyone chose, as I am currently kind of torn.

I've simply been wearing my sunglasses under my helmet, but I'm not satisfied with that because the helmet makes my sunglasses float off my face in a weird way, if that makes any sense. The pressure from the sides of the helmet pushes my sunglasses out and I can't really adjust them back to a normal position. I have sunglass fit issues on a regular day (low nose bridge), so I'm trying to get away from this.

I was considering a tinted visor, but think it might be too much of a pain in the ass to switch visors all the time. Would a half-tinted visor be a better solution? Dark on the top, clear on the bottom...

I also saw helmets that had pop-down sunshades incorporated into them. Awesome! The problem with that is I would have to buy a new helmet, when my Arai is a perfect fit for me and still basically in new condition! It'd be a waste to put that aside.

So what do you use?

Snake
January 18th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I have two shields that I swap out, one is clear and the other is tinted. My next helmet will have the built in pop down shades. I seen one at the dealer it reminded me a jet fighter pilots helmet.

Since you just got your helmet I would reccomend buying a half tinted shield because it is a pain to have carry the extra shield with you and then swap them out.

bob706
January 18th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I use sunglasses, but had to search for a pair that would fit with my helmet. I would love to have one of those flip down visors but my current lid is only a year old.

Alex
January 18th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Mostly sunglasses here. I use a dark shield (no sunglasses) for trackdays or occasionally for short rides where I'm 110% sure I'll be back well before dark. I don't think a half-tinted one would work too well; it would still be too bright in the sun, and it would significantly hurt night vision.

CC Cowboy
January 18th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Sunglasses( Costa del Mar), polarized, and a dark shield. It gets real sunny here. Different helmet with a clear shield at night.

Scott glasses (they are like ski goggle lens without the frame)when I don't wear a helmet (did I say that on this forum).

rockNroll
January 18th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Iridium visor (unless its a suomy helmet). Cuts glare, UV protection and you can see better at night than with a tinted visor. Until my last helmet purchase (a suomy) I've been using shoei helmets with iridium visors day and night (we're talking like 15 years here).

Zero260
January 18th, 2010, 11:43 AM
HJC IS-16 with pop down shades.

Once you try it, you are ruined for life. I don't think i could go back to a regular helmet.

Talonne
January 18th, 2010, 11:46 AM
HJC IS-16 with pop down shades.

Once you try it, you are ruined for life. I don't think i could go back to a regular helmet.

I tried one of these at a local dealer and loved it. :) The fit wasn't as great as my current helmet, but I LOVE those shades. So torn...

How is wind noise with it?

I also tried on a GMax helmet with the shades and LED on the back... That didn't fit me well at all (smushed my cheeks).

Sailariel
January 18th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I did the sunglasses behind the faceshield on my Modular HJC. Problem was finding cheap non-polarized sunglasses. Polarized glasses made everything look like a rainbow. I now have a Nolan modular with a slide down dark shield when I need it. Love that helmet--even if it is school bus yellow. Price was right.

Angel-be-Good
January 18th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I swap between tinted and clear visors. During DST I don't really have to worry about it, but otherwise I have to pack a clear visor when I go to work, and usually pack one on my joy rides so I don't concern myself with the time.

In my opinion, it's not a significant bother. When I wear glasses under my helmet, they tend to fog up. They add a bit of discomfort (minor) and the frames partially obstruct my view. Also, my tinted mirrored visor looks so cool!

OldGuy
January 18th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I started with a clear shield and sun glasses and then went to the tinted shield. 95% of my riding is in daylight so no problems. If I'm going out after dark or know it will be dark when I come home I pop on the clear shield and use glasses. Unfortunately my Oakley Razors wont fit under my helmet so I use my Ruddy Project glasses from my bicycling days.

captlombardi
January 18th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I too rock the HJC IS-16 "scratch" helmet with the pop-down shades. Super convenient especially since a new visor is ~$20. Honestly though I wouldn't be too upset with having to change visors because the HJC helmets have a really nice quick-change visor system, while Arai has those cosmetic cover things over the visor hinges. I'm not sure what to tell you since Arai helmets are usually pretty high dollar and you may not want to "downgrade" to an HJC just to get built-in shades. You could get a smoked windscreen and stay in a tuck all the time I guess :cool:

JeffM
January 18th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Scorpion EXO-400 with Dark shield on bright days; otherwise, polychromatic visor with tint strip across top for low sun. However, over time, my polychromatic visor is losing its ability to change tint.

sombo
January 18th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Polarized sunglasses under my helmet. I don't use any other sort of sunglasses other then polarized cause nothing cuts the glare as much while still leaving things looking colorful. The "rainbow" effect is only minor and you stop noticing it after awhile. Other times I actually find that effect rather neat. :p

Underkill
January 18th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I have a Shoei RF-1000 and actually bought a graduated tint shield for it. It's great! During the day I have just enough tint to make bright light bearable, and at night, I still have most of it untinted... No shields to change out and no hassle with sunglasses under a helmet. They also sell 'sun strips' at cyclegear you can put on. Fiancee has one of those and says it works well also. They're only like $10 so might be worth checking out to see if it would work for you.

Here's my shield:
http://underkill.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Advridgerunner-camping/visor2/373110051_Gs4uE-S.jpg
http://underkill.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Advridgerunner-camping/visor/373110084_jsMXR-S.jpg

ninja250
January 18th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Shoei light-medium tinted visor and Oakley straight jacket polarized black iridium

min nin
January 18th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I use polarized sun glasses under a clear visor, and clear glasses at night so I can open the visor if needed.

I like the rainbow effect. Oooooooooooo look at the colors.:D:D:D

DarkNinja52
January 18th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Got this bad boy last week. (the visor for my 707 Vendetta, pics below)

I mostly got it because of how bad ass it looks, but it will def help with the sun. Haven't rode with it yet because of the snow/rain/winter.

When I took it out of the package it didnt nearly look dark enough but on the helmet it looks pretty dark. From the inside its like wearing sun glasses. Got a tinted windscreen for the bike coming on wednesday the bike got jealous when she saw mine so i had to get her one too :D:D

i actually ordered the windscreen last month from fatbikez but theyve delayed my order a whole month and wouldnt contact me about it, finally received an email saying that it needed to be made at the factory.. not so happy with their customer service, cyclegear on the other hand gets a thumbs up.

Snake
January 18th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Very cool looking helmet. :thumbup:

Delta107
January 18th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Scorpion EXO-700 Dark Smoke Shield, then I change to a clear one at dusk!

silver_bullet
January 18th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Scorpion EXO-400 dark shield. I change to clear at night or if I don't bring it with me (ie, work late) I have yellow riding glasses that I wear with the visor up.

null0
January 18th, 2010, 07:23 PM
There's always Fog City Visor Speed Tint, http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/69/11238/ITEM/Fog-City-Speed-Tint.aspx

I use 1" black grip tape.

DarkNinja52
January 18th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Very cool looking helmet. :thumbup:

Thanks!

707 makes great helmets but I think theyre only found at cyclegear.
comfortable, cheap, dot and snell, and i get a ton of compliments on it! def a great buy if anyone's been curious about seven zero seven.

Momaru
January 18th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I usually go with mirrored visor and switch to clear @ sundown. Some days I just throw on some sunglasses if it's nearing dusk anyway but suffer the same problem as the OP with the glasses 'floating' in addition to it being a really tight fit to get my preferred sunglasses on in the helmet. Definitely going for built-in sunshades next time.

eddiekay
January 18th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Thet don't fit all helmets but gold tinted snomobile shields are really good and they don't fog in cold weather.

Cedilla
January 19th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I usually grin and bear it. I have a mirrored visor, but I hardly ever wear it. I only use it when I have several hours of daylight left and I know I wont be out long. When I first got it I got caught after dark with it a couple of times, and while I can ride with it I really could not see very good.

Really the only times I ever use sunglasses is on super bright days, and during sun rise, and sun set. Other than that I love the sunlight, I'm like a plant, the sun just energizes me.

gizmogamez
January 20th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I always have my dark visor on unless I am planning on a night ride, but I also usually wear sunglasses under as well (double dark).
but the dark visor alone is what I use on track days.