View Full Version : Should I fix my 250R or just sell it as is?

Proteus
August 18th, 2021, 08:28 AM
Hi Everyone - I used to be very active on here but life gets in the way!

I have a 2012 250R, streetfightered after getting hit.

My bike sat for a while without any fuel stabilizer in the tank when my wife is pregnant so when I went to fire it up it would start and immediately die.

I tried to poke the jets in the carbs and I got it to hold an idle but now when it gets any throttle gasoline comes out of the exhaust. This was probably about a year ago.

My son is now 4!

At this point I really don't have the time or skill to fix it myself, so I would be taking it somewhere to get fixed (I'm in South Florida).

I am thinking now about just selling it as is, but do you think it would be better financially to get it running first?

Proteus
August 18th, 2021, 08:33 AM
I found the thread - it was actually 3 years ago not one! https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=321223

Time is crazy with kids.

I tried to follow the advice in the thread but I was so far in over my head it has just been sitting since.

ducatiman
August 18th, 2021, 03:47 PM
As was suggested in your older thread, I'm still here doin' my thing. Just a carb pull/reinstall needed on your end. PM me if you'd care to.

thedrewski86
August 18th, 2021, 04:23 PM
Yeah, do what the duc man says and let him do what he does. After looking through your old thread it looks like you don't have the time to deal with this bike! :D It will be an easy sell after the carbs are clean and you charge up the battery. I hear kids aren't cheap... a couple grand would probably be a good thing. :dancecool:

Triple Jim
August 18th, 2021, 04:27 PM
I know if I look at a motorcycle that doesn't run, my offer would be about 1/2 of the normal value, if that.

Ghostt
August 19th, 2021, 05:44 AM
What he said ⬆️ non-running bikes are far cheaper than a running bike. I all depends on you, if you want to take a loss .

What Duc would charge you, would be offset by the difference of not running vs running. Unless the bike is a trainwreck.

Proteus
August 19th, 2021, 06:06 AM
What he said ⬆️ non-running bikes are far cheaper than a running bike. I all depends on you, if you want to take a loss .

What Duc would charge you, would be offset by the difference of not running vs running. Unless the bike is a trainwreck.

I'm going to send them to him! I should have done that years ago, but I have tended to be stupidly stubborn with DIY projects. That's something that goes away with age I suppose.

Now to find a DIY to remove the carbs and petcock.

thedrewski86
August 19th, 2021, 08:21 AM
Now to find a DIY to remove the carbs and petcock.

Having done this many times, I can offer a little instruction:

pull tank/whatever plastics are in your way
loosen the airbox by pulling the bolts under the battery
unscrew the carb-to-head boot clamps
pull the tray back (about half an inch)
pull the carbs back into the space you created in the step above
wiggle/persuade the carb-to-head boots out
disconnect throttle and choke cables
remove carbs

send to the Duc man :thumbup:

JayVapes
August 19th, 2021, 01:24 PM
take this guys advice hes very professional. its worth the time youve invested

JayVapes
August 19th, 2021, 01:25 PM
Having done this many times, I can offer a little instruction:

pull tank/whatever plastics are in your way
loosen the airbox by pulling the bolts under the battery
unscrew the carb-to-head boot clamps
pull the tray back (about half an inch)
pull the carbs back into the space you created in the step above
wiggle/persuade the carb-to-head boots out
disconnect throttle and choke cables
remove carbs

send to the Duc man :thumbup:
these are good instructions

thedrewski86
August 19th, 2021, 01:34 PM
these are good instructions

Thanks, I learned the routine years ago on the 250 but just had a review after having one come back into my garage over the past week. There was a lot of muscle memory involved... I think I could do it blindfolded now.