View Full Version : Looking for protective boots with a platform!

Talonne
January 28th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I am currently wearing a pair of Harley boots, which aren't exactly made of the thickest leather... I'd really like to purchase a pair of sport riding boots for more protection, but I've not come across any with a high enough sole (at least 0.5") to give me enough height to keep the balls of my feet on the ground while on the bike. Sole height is more important than having a heel.

I am trying to avoid using lowering links as much as possible. ;)

I have found one pair with a platform, but they carry a hefty $399 US price tag (Daytona Ladystar GTX (http://www.riderforums.com/showthread.php?t=54263)). Add currency conversion and customs/duties onto that, and it's just insanity! Are there any cheaper alternatives? Short girls, what boots are you wearing?

2WheelGuy
January 28th, 2010, 10:29 AM
My 5'2" girlfriend loves these:
http://calmoto.com/SHOP/bmwallroundboots.html

jcgirl
January 28th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Hey,
I'm 5'4 with a short inseam. I ride in TCX Explorer boots. They work pretty good for me.

carpediem
January 28th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I'm looking for something similar and the Daytona's look promising. The thing is I live in Toronto. I wonder if they ship here. I'll have to investigate.

Talonne
January 28th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I'm looking for something similar and the Daytona's look promising. The thing is I live in Toronto. I wonder if they ship here. I'll have to investigate.

I just took a look at the Helimot site, and they are actually a whopping $449.95 USD!!!!! They look perfect for my needs, but that price is keeping me from ordering. No idea if they ship to Canada. I can't imagine what duties on a $449.95 item would end up being. *shudder*

http://www.helimot.com/shopexd.asp?id=73

jcgirl
January 28th, 2010, 10:39 PM

If your in TO, try the motorcycle superstore on Sheppard. They might have something that works for you.

carpediem
January 29th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Rider's Choice has them but you'll pay close to 500 with taxes.

Talonne
May 9th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Ok, so a local store finally got the Daytona Ladystars in stock. I tried them on and found that it felt super clumsy trying to get my foot under the shifter, due to the inflexible ankle area and thick sole... :(

Agustin
May 9th, 2010, 01:54 AM
How about Sidi B2's. Not as stiff as the Vertigo or Vortice's but they offer more protection than the Harley boots.

Regarding the shifter, you will more than likely have to adjust the height of the shifter a bit to accomodate the new boots. You will get used to the boots pretty quick and once you have the shifter in the right spot shifting will be a snap.

Greg_E
May 9th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Both of these look like they have a bit more sole thickness than my Primatto II boots:
http://www.axo.com/Main/default/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=31404
http://www.axo.com/Main/default/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=31406

The Primatto 2 are very thin so they are not a choice for you, than and I'm not sure the sizes go small enough on any of these as they only go to a men's size 7

These might also work, but they are a little low for my tastes:
http://www.axo.com/Main/default/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=31200 but do go down to a men's size 3.

carpediem
May 9th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I bought the Daytona Ladystars and have worn them for about a month. I agree they are a bit bulky. My shifting was sloppy at first but now I'm used to them plus they are a bit broken-in. My only concern is that they will be too hot come summer. Other than that they are a great boot and I feel safe and tall in them :-)

sofo
May 9th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I was just reading a Sport Rider magazine and saw an ad for a pair of SIDI boots that tout having a replaceable sole. That got me thinking, perhaps you could get a pair of boots that fit you well and offer good protection and get the sole replaced or laminated with more material for the height you want?

Figure if you find good boots for under $250 then add $75 for soles you will have a great boot and perfect height sole for less than some of the other options you have been looking at.

adouglas
May 10th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Something else to consider....

Good orthotic inserts (the stiff kind, not the gel insoles) are easy to find these days and relatively inexpensive.

A pair of boots one size larger than normal, plus a combination of flat insoles and stiff orthotics can boost your height. The extra space inside the boot gets taken up by the insoles. Just mix and match until your foot fits.

Dr. Scholls' latest gimmick is a kiosk at various stores (they have 'em at Wal-Mart) with an associated display of these stiff plastic orthotics. You stand on a sensor pad and it tells you which ones you need. I'm in a band and my stage footwear is torture, so I decided to give it a try. At $50 a pair they're spendy, but they have a full money-back guarantee.

I'm a believer. These things rock, and they make me taller in the process.

Talonne
June 9th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I bought the Daytona Ladystars and have worn them for about a month. I agree they are a bit bulky. My shifting was sloppy at first but now I'm used to them plus they are a bit broken-in. My only concern is that they will be too hot come summer. Other than that they are a great boot and I feel safe and tall in them :-)

Did you move the shifter up higher? Also, how is the ankle area breaking in? I found it very odd to not be able to bend at the ankle at all... It would be weird to have to shift with my entire leg instead of a quick flick of the foot.

I will also take a look at some insoles.

carpediem
June 9th, 2010, 01:54 PM
no i didn't move the shifter. the boots are breaking in nicely. i just needed to use them and be patient!

Moped
June 9th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Im 5 feet tall and I wear the icon supper dutys 2 and they work great for me.

littledog
June 9th, 2010, 06:34 PM
These Icon boots supposedly have 1 (forefoot) to 1.5 (heel) inch thick soles:

http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/icon/tarmac_ventilated_motorcycle_boots.html

I got a different pair of Icon boots myself. The ones called "field armor" the soles are not particularly thick, I do not need any extra height. They are comfortable, and seem much protective than my old Harley Davidson brand boots. Which really were not motorcycle boots, just leather lace up work boots with that brand.

It is a big project to put them on -take them off, unless you skip the internal lacing part. There is a lot of material on top of the toe, they are thick in the toe area. I had to adjust the shift lever. There is another difference, not so obvious. My previous boots had upper toe area of leather and sole of sort of slick rubber. These parts of the boot would slide over the stock Ninja footpeg and under the shift lever. The new Icon boots have a sort of grippie rubber sole and shift pad on top of the forefoot. No sliding at all.

Well anyway, the tarmac boots may be of interest to the O P. And I felt like describing the new boots I got for my birthday.

ride safe.....

l Dog

mrlmd
June 10th, 2010, 01:39 PM
You could go to a place like Walmart if they have stores like that near you and look for a good sturdy pair of work boots or Swat team style boots that lace up (look for ones with the speed laces so they are easier to get on and off). You may find a small size that fits. They offer a fairly good protection and have sliproof soles. If you get lace up boots, tuck the laces into the top of the boot or your socks so flying laces don't get caught in the spokes of the wheel or the chain - that could be disastrous.
Those boots may only cost $30-40 or so and do the job for you.

adouglas
June 10th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I was just reading a Sport Rider magazine and saw an ad for a pair of SIDI boots that tout having a replaceable sole. That got me thinking, perhaps you could get a pair of boots that fit you well and offer good protection and get the sole replaced or laminated with more material for the height you want?

Google "orthopedic lifts."

There are places that will take your existing boots (or shoes, or sneakers...) and do exactly that, fairly cheap unless you want it super thick. The place I looked at charges $40 for the first half inch and $15 for every quarter inch after that.