View Full Version : How to remove glue goo left by removed tank pad?

Topaz
October 12th, 2021, 06:46 AM
Hello. My tank pad was peeling off a bit and was letting water and dirt come under it so I took it out.
Now I'm having a hard time to remove the glue goo that it left on the tank.
I tried general purpose cleaner and alcohol. My tanks is still shiny and scratch less so I don't want to go too hard on it.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Triple Jim
October 12th, 2021, 06:58 AM
I use mineral spirits, AKA Varsol, AKA paint thinner. Not lacquer thinner!

DannoXYZ
October 12th, 2021, 07:13 AM
Also try this stuff. My wife uses it to remove labels from jars she's going to re-use for other things.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009M14C4S/

Topaz
October 12th, 2021, 02:31 PM
Thanks!

ScarabLord
October 12th, 2021, 03:17 PM
Definitely try Goo Gone!

VaFish
October 18th, 2021, 02:54 PM
Third vote for Goo Gone. Great stuff.

If using it on a painted surface wash with soap and water after the goo is removed.

Mohawk
October 19th, 2021, 10:35 AM
WD40 or whatever flavour you have locally of similar stuff. Spray on agitate & it meltsvright off, no harm to your paint ��

TonyLambert
January 3rd, 2022, 08:02 AM
Hello. My tank pad was peeling off a bit and was letting water and dirt come under it so I took it out.
Now I'm having a hard time to remove the glue goo that it left on the tank.
I tried general purpose cleaner and alcohol. My tanks is still shiny and scratch less so I don't want to go too hard on it.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Let me know If it will work. I got a long scratch on the center bottom of the gas tank. Went to the garage guy he suggested not to remove it. Otherwise, while clearing it the surrounding area paint will also be affected. So, I hide it with a tank bag (https://www.vikingbags.com/viking-dirt-enduro-medium-tank-bag)that I had ordered from Viking bags.

TonyLambert
January 3rd, 2022, 08:06 AM
Let me know If it will work. I got a long scratch on the center bottom of the gas tank. Went to the garage guy he suggested not to remove it. Otherwise, while clearing it the surrounding area paint will also be affected. So, I hide it with a tank bag (https://www.vikingbags.com/viking-dirt-enduro-medium-tank-bag) that I had ordered from Viking bags.

Topaz
January 4th, 2022, 05:32 AM
TonyLambert

The goo gone worked nice. I didn't have any scratch on the tank. I only had to remove the glue from the old tank protector, which the Goo Gone did just fine and with not much effort.

Yes, a nice tank protector may hide that scratch of yours, or at least most of it.

Some pics, although not very good. One before removing the protector. At the top you can see the color is different because it was peeling off.
Once before using the Goo Gone, and one after.
I ended up with some scratches. I guess those were caused by dirt coming between the protector and the tank when it started to peel off.

By the way, the protector was a One Design, in case you want to avoid the brand. I know it's a good brand, but it didn't stick well at the point where the N300 makes a little edge in the tank. That's where the peel off started.
I will try a TechSpec next.

TonyLambert
January 4th, 2022, 06:09 AM
TonyLambert

The goo gone worked nice. I didn't have any scratch on the tank. I only had to remove the glue from the old tank protector, which the Goo Gone did just fine and with not much effort.

Yes, a nice tank protector may hide that scratch of yours, or at least most of it.

Some pics, although not very good. One before removing the protector. At the top you can see the color is different because it was peeling off.
Once before using the Goo Gone, and one after.
I ended up with some scratches. I guess those were caused by dirt coming between the protector and the tank when it started to peel off.

By the way, the protector was a One Design, in case you want to avoid the brand. I know it's a good brand, but it didn't stick well at the point where the N300 makes a little edge in the tank. That's where the peel off started.
I will try a TechSpec next.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will definitely try it soon and share my experience!