View Full Version : Full Modifying your ninjette? Is it worth it?

Abu_Mishary
November 10th, 2021, 07:14 PM
Hola everyone.

It's been a while since I logged in here. One of the reason i forgot my password. lol.

Most of new bikes coming in 2021 are retro designed such as the new Kawasaki 650 RS. I have always loved the retro bike designs and honestly would not hesitate to upgrade to any of the new models if I have enough cash. The problem is I don't. lol.

And there is a restriction in my country that one cannot modify his / her vehicle into a different model in appearance.

But since no extra money and i need some work with my bike anyway, think I might go on with it. The question is, is it worth it to full modify?

How much would it affect the re-sale value (actual market value)? in a non-collector item's view?

Thanks!

Triple Jim
November 10th, 2021, 07:59 PM
It's good to see you back, Abu. I guess I need to know specifically what modifications you mean.

Abu_Mishary
November 10th, 2021, 08:49 PM
It's good to see you back, Abu. I guess I need to know specifically what modifications you mean.

Hey Jim.

I was thinking to convert into a cafe racer / retro designs.

Triple Jim
November 10th, 2021, 08:52 PM
I honestly don't know it that's worth the trouble. You know what I chose to do. That didn't cost me much other than time and effort. Of course I have the old H2 if I want to ride a retro bike. :)

DannoXYZ
November 10th, 2021, 09:42 PM
hi Abu! :wave:

Mods can be easy, just keep original parts for when you sell. Give buyer option of original bike or your modified version.

thedrewski86
November 11th, 2021, 08:07 AM
It has probably cost me a total of $60 to get to this with cheap ebay parts:

https://i.imgur.com/W6sSomDl.jpg

If I wanted to sell the stock parts I'm sure I could actually make money on it, but I don't want to. My point is, if all you want is the retro look it can be relatively easily had.

tfkrocks
November 12th, 2021, 12:01 AM
I did this to my 300 because I realistically wasn't ever going to put fairings back on after the last accident and I'd wanted to do a handlebar conversion for a while anyway: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1272952&postcount=347

My bike was already worthless going into this because it's a salvage title now so I'm getting absolutely no value out of the money I've thrown into this bike but I'm also never going to sell it as a whole bike anyway lol

Abu_Mishary
November 16th, 2021, 01:55 AM
I did this to my 300 because I realistically wasn't ever going to put fairings back on after the last accident and I'd wanted to do a handlebar conversion for a while anyway: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1272952&postcount=347

My bike was already worthless going into this because it's a salvage title now so I'm getting absolutely no value out of the money I've thrown into this bike but I'm also never going to sell it as a whole bike anyway lol

Is it me or the mod looks like Suzy's SV?

VaFish
November 16th, 2021, 06:53 PM
Depends upon what you are talking about for mods.

Around here you almost never get back out of the bike what you put into modifications when you sell it. So in that respect modifications are not worth it.

But the reason for modifications is to make the bike yours, make it more enjoyable, faster, funner to ride, ect.....

In that case it really depends if you have the money and how much you will enjoy the modifications.

I can't tell you if the modifications are worth it to you, only you can tell that.

Bob KellyIII
November 26th, 2021, 09:00 AM

NOW to me that is a useable Ninja ! well done ! I am seriously tempted to do that to my ninja !getting rid of the fairing and putting on decent handlebars has got to be the best I've seen yet !
Bob.....

Bob KellyIII
February 3rd, 2022, 10:12 AM
in my era Modifying a bike ment going chopper style and no i do NOT recomend that....
making your bike into a stripped down light weight cafe racer is bound to de-value the bike.... unless you find the perfect buyer but that is very unlikely.
so I would recommend just leaving it alone !
when most people look to buy a used bike they are looking for a stock one...
not a modified one.... changing the exhaust and air filters and other cosmetic stuff will not help you get top price for the bike... re-painting the bike will.
but it has to be a really good paint job or it will lower it's value not increase it.
getting top dollar for a motorcycle is hard....it always has been. the top priority
must be getting the bike to look good and pristine.... like it has never been used.... if you can do that then you can get top dollars for it...(as long as the miles are fairly low)
..... to that end keeping the bike stock is the way to go for resale....of you have no intensions of selling it , then make it how you want it. and enjoy it all the more....
Bob......

MondoMesh
February 3rd, 2022, 12:44 PM
How much do you think I could get out of this build?

Bob KellyIII
February 3rd, 2022, 05:40 PM
LOL impossible to say really... but my GUESS would be less that 2k
Bob.....

DannoXYZ
February 4th, 2022, 12:01 AM
http://memecrunch.com/meme/AUGCS/one-million-dollars/image.jpg?w=470&c=1

john pierson
February 4th, 2022, 07:38 PM
Priceless custom!!!! Also called a "brat bike":d

JohnnyBravo
February 6th, 2022, 07:53 PM