View Full Version : Suspension Question...Intiminator?

esi7esi7
February 6th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Anybody tried this? It was mentioned to me recently that they make an application for the Ninja 250
http://store.ricorshocks.com/v/vspfiles/photos/039-20-1001Nin-2.jpg

Patented Inertia Active dampening for damper rod front forks. This is the only product on the market that is smart enough to know if the wheel is trying to move or if the chassis is trying to move. We give you the best of worlds, a more stable chassis and a faster wheel response over bumps. This product will transform the front of your bike.

The Intiminator sits on top of your stock damper rod forcing the oil through high quality deflected discs found in top of the line shock absorbers. When the front tire hits a bump then the inertia of that bump opens the inertia valve instantly allowing for a faster response.
Installation is easy. Drain the fork oil, remove the spring, drop in the Intiminator, add oil then the spring and away you go.

Sold in pairs. 1 quart 5w fork oil required

http://store.ricorshocks.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=039-20-1001Nin

2WheelGuy
February 6th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I have no experience with that product. I use these by Racetech:

http://www.trackdaymag.com/Articles/Race-Tech-Gold-Valves-for-Forks-and-Shock.aspx

kkim
February 6th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I use the Racetech Emulators in my dirt bikes. Great product. :thumbup:

2WG.. do they make gold valves for our bikes?? I thought they only made Emulators for the 250R?

2WheelGuy
February 7th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I use the Racetech
2WG.. do they make gold valves for our bikes?? I thought they only made Emulators for the 250R?

I'm confused aren't our bikes Ninja 250r's? Racetech does make them for the Ninja 250. I used them in both of my 250 race bikes last year and will be installing a set in my 2008 250r this week.

kkim
February 7th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Gold valves and Emulators are 2 different products. I see emulators listed for the 08+ 250Rs but they don't have the Gold valves listed for the forks.

They do make a Gold valve kit for the rear shock.

2WheelGuy
February 7th, 2010, 11:06 AM
kkim you are right. I wasn't aware that they are two different products. The box looks exactly the same. I run Racetech Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators.

kkim
February 7th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Yep, that's what I run in the dirt bikes and they make a great improvement to the stock forks. Not trying to belabor the point... I just wanted to avoid any confusion for others that may be thinking of using the product.

The ability to tune the fork stroke compression is invaluable on the basic type non- adjustable forks that come on the 250R.

randomwalk101
February 7th, 2010, 11:32 PM
What's the diff between emulator and gold valve?
Posted via Mobile Device

2WheelGuy
February 8th, 2010, 12:16 AM
What's the diff between emulator and gold valve?
Posted via Mobile Device

Gold Valves are for Cartridge style forks while Gold Valve Emulators are for Damping Rod forks.

ROADandTRACK
February 11th, 2010, 05:58 PM
The Emulators emulate a shim stacked valve (sort of) which is in cart. forks. They only control compression. You will still need to modify the damping rod to get the rebound correct.

Oh, while the intimatedater seems like it will work on the comp side, they say that you need no rebound at all to gain traction which is just not right. I imagine the things could work in the right hands though.

Apex
February 12th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hey Lisa! Glad you found your way over here from WFO. :)

(this is GP Fan)

How is the 250 build coming along?

NorCal_250R
March 9th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Dave Moss, from Catalyst Reaction Suspension, tuner on onthethrottle.com, for AMA teams, AFM teams etc...

HATES the Gold Valve Emulators...

he thinks they suck...he prefers dialing in the rebound with different oil weights, getting the spring rate right...and dialing in the rest with oil height etc...

BUT...

suspension is ALL personal...if you like it...race it...
try the right springs, the right oil and oil heights BEFORE you drill the hell out of your damper rods...

kkim
March 10th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Dave Moss, from Catalyst Reaction Suspension, tuner on onthethrottle.com, for AMA teams, AFM teams etc...

HATES the Gold Valve Emulators...

he thinks they suck...he prefers dialing in the rebound with different oil weights, getting the spring rate right...and dialing in the rest with oil height etc...

BUT...

suspension is ALL personal...if you like it...race it...
try the right springs, the right oil and oil heights BEFORE you drill the hell out of your damper rods...

so, how does he control the compression damping? :confused:

NorCal_250R
March 10th, 2010, 09:06 AM
so, how does he control the compression damping? :confused:

I will have to ask him, I am guessing that he worries more about the rebound on the stroke, as compression is handled like 80% by the springs I believe...

I know on most modern suspension systems, he hardly touches the compression needles...once he gets it good, most adjustment as the day goes on is preload and rebound...I think...I'll ask him...

ROADandTRACK
March 10th, 2010, 09:41 AM
The emulators have little to do w/ rebound. So I don't get the above statement about DM.

The GVE's are better than nothing, because w/ nothing you will get a pretty harsh ride on bumpy tracks using the comp holes. And, you can tune the GVE's somewhat.

NorCal_250R
March 10th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Can't argue with that logic...might have to buy me some...

So you are saying when I drill out my damper rods...that only destroys the compression settings? Makes sense since you don't mess with the rebound holes...

kkim
March 10th, 2010, 08:15 PM
yes, you enlarge the stock compression holes in the damper rods to render them useless so the emulator valves are then fully in charge of the compression duties of the fork. the adjustable feature of the valve then lets you fine tune the compression.

NorCal_250R
March 10th, 2010, 08:25 PM
That unit on the top of this thread says you just drop it in, no drilling, while would still give you the damper rod effect, but maybe not...