View Full Version : Stop the ban on youth motorcycles

2WheelGuy
February 9th, 2010, 03:05 PM
j_NV_zYKz_Q

Snake
February 9th, 2010, 03:36 PM
This ban is just crazy. Letter being sent to my Congessman.

2WheelGuy
February 9th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I got an email back from my Congresswoman. In short is said, "I understand but too bad."

Zim
February 9th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Your tax dollars at work.

They're worried about lead? How about not letting kids touch computers or play with toys made in China?

My dad bought me a BB gun and pellet guns when I was a kid, I was in the Boy Scouts where we learned how to whittle with knives, how to throw axes and shoot rifles. My dad taught me to drive a stick in a parking lot when I was 14. These things all made me a better, more responsible adult.

Adults are stealing all sense of adventure and lessons of responsibility from childhood with these stupid laws and the helicopter parent mentality.

CC Cowboy
February 9th, 2010, 06:05 PM
When I was a kid there was no law about bicycle helmets, you rode your bike down the sidewalk (because is was safer than the street), but back then the lawyers weren't as greedy. I could go on and on about how the government (and lawyers) have taken away more and more rights and put more and more controls on us, for the good of ourselves (since the public is too stupid to know right from wrong). People have put up with all these new restraints (I mean laws) and not said a word. Today, the public is starting to stand up for themselves more and more and hopefully we take back our country from these laws and controls that are shoved down our throat.

I moved from the city to the country before I had my two sons and they grew up being able to do whatever they wanted on our own property. They each rode bicycles at 2 years old (with no helmet) motorcycles at 3 years old (with full gear), they learned about guns, they had firecrackers on the 4th of July, they jumped out of trees, they jumped off the roof into the pool, and they never had someone tell them NO. They each made it up to now with no injuries and a full appreciation of adventure and excitment. They aren't afraid to try something new and love to travel and discover new things.

We are losing our freedom more and more each day. Get active in your area and don't complain if you don't vote. We are the ones putting these people in power. We are the ones who can vote them out when they don't do what we want.

Racer x
February 9th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I think the congress ate too much lead.

jonthechron
February 9th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I think the congress ate too much lead.

Someone should fill 'em up of lead.

2WheelGuy
February 10th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Which congresswoman?

Letter I received:

Dear Mr. Harris:

Thank you very much for your letter expressing concern about the implementation of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (Public Law 110-314). I understand the challenges facing off-highway vehicle (OHV) manufacturers that must comply with the law's requirements and welcome the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

As you know, legislation enacted last year included requirements intended to limit the exposure of children to lead and phthalates in children's products. Specifically, children's products containing more than 600 parts per million of lead were banned from production and sale. An unexpected consequence of this legislation is that youth motorcycles and OHV's are affected by these limits due to the high lead content of some metal components.

I understand your concern that there is little potential for harm to children due to lead exposure in these vehicles. However, the CPSC currently believes that it does not have the legal authority to provide an exemption to the law at this time. That said, the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation argues that the CPSC may provide a stay of enforcement in this situation and is hopeful that such action may be taken under new leadership at the Commission. Additionally, Senator Jon Tester (D-MT) has introduced legislation known as the "Common Sense in Consumer Product Safety Act" (S. 608), which would exempt vehicles intended for children between the ages of 7 and 12 from the law's lead limits.
In the meantime, the CPSC will continue to review this issue and provide appropriate guidance to manufacturers and retailers. Please know that I will keep your thoughts in mind should the Senate take further action regarding this matter. You may wish to visit the CPSC website at www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html for more information.

Again, thank you for writing. If you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,
Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

CC Cowboy
February 10th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Dianne Feinstein is a douche. She needs to be voted out. I never liked her.

2WheelGuy
February 10th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Dianne Feinstein is a douche.

Well said.

Cedilla
February 18th, 2010, 08:02 PM
When I was going through the public school system (94-07) I noticed every year things would get stricter every year to the point where it felt like I had more freedom in the 3rd grade than I did in 12th.