View Full Version : I suppose crashing a mile from home counts as a ride report.

JeffM
February 15th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I asphalt surfed on the way to work today. I am ok except for some bruising thanks to ATGATT.

I was coming down a hill toward a large intersection and I noticed that the road seemed damp (it was really hard to tell if it was wet or not) so I slowed slightly. Approaching the intersection, the light went amber then red so I had to make the decision to run the light (really not an option) or slow rapidly. I chose to slow. I eased on a bit of brake to heat the disk and started to squeeze harder; with a bit of rear brake, and then the front end tucked – instant low-side. Looking back, I believe my shunt was caused by the combination of the very slight new moisture on that stretch of road (it was about +-35 degrees out(frost?), the oil on the road near the intersection, a bit too much speed, and cold tires. Also, this was near my house so I was somewhat, should I say conditioned, to that same corner, same speed, same breaking area and that may have also contributed to my accident.

I believe my speed was around 35 mph (didn’t look as I was scanning the intersection). I landed on my left side and slid around 25-30 feet. The bike continued about a quarter of the way into the intersection. Funny, but I did try to get up just a bit early at the end of the slide. There is a great urge to get off the street and out of traffic. Some Good Samaritans ran over to see if I was ok and helped me pick up the bike and push it to a nearby gas station.

My gear did its job. The outside of my left pants leg is scuffed from hip to ankle. There is a quarter sized hole in the left knee that went through the outside layer and I think partially through the second layer. My jacket is abraded on the left rib area. My gloves held up well and I can tell where I hit and slid on them. The boots slid and did not catch which kept me from tumbling.

Injuries to me beside my pride: None really. My ribs hurt a little along with my left hip and the heel of my left hand. I did not hit my head.

Damage to bike: Cracked faring, bent clutch lever (maybe a bent left bar), cracked windshield, bent shift lever, and scrapes. I had difficulty getting the bike into neutral and it did not want to start.

Kids, wear your gear!!! This happened a mile from my house. If I would have been wearing jeans or non-motorcycle specific gear I would have been in the hospital instead of 15 minutes late to work.

I will follow up with some photos later.

Ride safe and ATGATT.

Jeff

kevlarorc
February 15th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Aw that sucks man. Good to hear you're ok. The front-wheel lockup on water got me too. :P

Chubbs032
February 15th, 2010, 11:45 AM
did the front nose-dive have anything to do with the crash?

laraider
February 15th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Glad that you are okay!

JeffM
February 15th, 2010, 12:48 PM
did the front nose-dive have anything to do with the crash?

No. Locked up the front due to road surface, cold tires, and quick stopping to avoid running red light at a somewhat blind, large, traffic filled intersection.

Glad that you are okay!

Thanks.

jeff

00v_Lucky
February 15th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Glad to hear you're okay, thank goodness no one was moving in the intersection while this happened.

mrlmd
February 15th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I'm glad you're OK and didn't get hurt more than bruised, or run over by a car in the intersection.
To try to figure out why the bike went down on the left side, your bars may have been turned steering a little to the left. The cold tires, speed, and slippery road caused you to skid or slide, but maybe you wouldn't have gone down or low-sided if the bars where straight ahead, and maybe then you could have kept the bike upright with your legs out. In retrospect, and I'm not trying to criticize, if you analyze what happened, it may be prevented the next time and we all can learn from it. Hitting the front brake with the wheel turned, on oil, gravel, even dry roads = bike down.
Again, glad you're OK.

JeffM
February 15th, 2010, 04:13 PM
The road turns a little to the right as it gets to the intersection. I'm sure that I was just bringing the bike up from a slight right turn. A little left countersteer may have pushed it over that way.

It is suprising how fast the bike tucks and there is absolutely no way to correct once it happens. :eek:

Jeff

Davidb1986
February 15th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Wearing protective gear really does pay off. I had a guy run me off into a ditch back in June (He did it deliberately). Had it not been for my gear I would of been injured pretty bad. Instead I was able to ride my bike away from that one (very grassy ditch so it only left light scuffs and a one inch crack in my right fairing). I was only going 45 mph and he matched speeds with me and weaved into my lane leaving me the ditch or him hitting me. I chose the ditch. After I got up I saw he had stopped to look back then he sped off as some Good Samaritans came to help. I ended flying off of my bike as it enter the ditch and landed some 6 to 7 feet in some gravel on the other side of the ditch all I had was a scuffed jacket, banged up helmet, scuffed gloves and some bruises.

Keenan84
February 15th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Wearing protective gear really does pay off. I had a guy run me off into a ditch back in June (He did it deliberately). Had it not been for my gear I would of been injured pretty bad. Instead I was able to ride my bike away from that one (very grassy ditch so it only left light scuffs and a one inch crack in my right fairing). I was only going 45 mph and he matched speeds with me and weaved into my lane leaving me the ditch or him hitting me. I chose the ditch. After I got up I saw he had stopped to look back then he sped off as some Good Samaritans came to help. I ended flying off of my bike as it enter the ditch and landed some 6 to 7 feet in some gravel on the other side of the ditch all I had was a scuffed jacket, banged up helmet, scuffed gloves and some bruises.

That is rediculous! why would he do that? I would get back on the bike, floor it and murder the guy.

Davidb1986
February 15th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I wanted to but he was long gone by the time I checked my bike out to make sure it was ok.

OldGuy
February 15th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Glad to hear you are OK Jeff. I'm sure you will have find some lessons to reflect on tomorrow.

JeffM
February 15th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks OldGuy. One thing for sure, tomorrow I will bring some pain killers to work :D

JeffM
February 15th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Brought the bike home tonight and it still will not start. I'll need to check the electrical system (kickstand switch or clutch switch might be suspect). A couple of other things I noticed:

My Winter Wings prevented the fairing from being rashed up by melting a bit. :eek: My instrument housing is loose from its moorings. I'm also thinking that the forks might be out of alignment. The left rearset and the left handlebar riser and switch cluster are loose.

I did not see it happen (concerned about other things while sliding) but after the bike slid on its left side the tires must have hooked up because it ended up on its right side. I'm glad it high-sided without me.

Jeff

JeffM
February 15th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Here are some photos of my gear after the slide. The knee only wore through one layer and slightly scuffed the inner layer.

This could have been my kneecap

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_5RheGZsECsI/S3o_8gMurcI/AAAAAAAAAPE/l0lQVR8STJI/s640/IMG_2891.jpg

Left front hip

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_5RheGZsECsI/S3o_6y2zgdI/AAAAAAAAAPA/jMm5r_kd8YY/s640/IMG_2892.jpg

Left forearm and hole in front of jacket. I did not see the forearm damage till I got home tonight. I think this is what hit first.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_5RheGZsECsI/S3o_5ClwUqI/AAAAAAAAAO8/jztoNxkAQR4/s640/IMG_2895.jpg

Glove that held up really well

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_5RheGZsECsI/S3o_1Onhc0I/AAAAAAAAAO0/bOi996G7hb4/s640/IMG_3004.jpg

Now I have to figure out where to get the pants repaired.

Jeff

mrlmd
February 16th, 2010, 06:38 AM
It is suprising how fast the bike tucks and there is absolutely no way to correct once it happens. :eek:

Jeff

That's the nature of a sportbike, with the short wheelbase and rake and trail of the front wheel, they steer very quickly, unlike a chopper with extended fork.
Things do happen really quickly, faster than you can say "Oh ****."

Nevrfastenuf
February 16th, 2010, 06:45 AM
I'm really glad to see your gear held up well and that you were able to walk away and still make it to work even! Hopefully we can get together for a few more rides this summer :thumbup:

JeffM
February 16th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Hopefully we can get together for a few more rides this summer

Looking forward to them Clint. Of course, the bike may have a slightly different look :p

Jeff.

tjkamper
February 16th, 2010, 08:51 AM
By the looks of your gear, you faired very well. I'm glad your okay. Let me know if you need help putting it back together. We can get together a couple of weekends and work on it. If there are any tools you don't have let me know, I might have them.

jcgirl
February 16th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Glad to hear you're alright!! It might be worth it to replace the gear instead of trying to have it repaired... An excuse to buy some new stuff. Just food for thought.

JeffM
February 16th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Let me know if you need help putting it back together. We can get together a couple of weekends and work on it. If there are any tools you don't have let me know, I might have them.

Ninja 250 riders are the best:D Thanks TJ. I'll let you know.

Keenan84
February 16th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Looks like you took a decent tumble. glad your alright man!

Snake
February 18th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Sorry to hear about the crash. Glad that you made it through ok.

rockNroll
February 18th, 2010, 07:52 AM
If a traffic light going yellow puts me into a situation where Imna have to brake a motorcycle real hard to make the stop (especially if the road surface at the intersection entrance doesn't look good), I usually grab some throttle. I'm less concerned with what is legal than with what's gonna give my ass a more favorable outcome. Why was not going through the light an option?

Glad to read that you're ok! :thumbup:

JeffM
February 18th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Why was not going through the light an option?

The intersection is very busy, blind for the most part, and it was during the morning commute. Plus, cage drivers in Utah are notorious for blowing red lights and I would rather not become a hood ornament on some sleepy commuters truck. Whether it was legal or not didn't enter my mind.

I made my choice and tried to stop.

Glad to read that you're ok! :thumbup:

Thanks.

Jeff

rockNroll
February 18th, 2010, 08:20 AM
blind for the most part

Sounds like you made the correct decision :thumbup:

DarkNinja52
February 18th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Sorry to hear about the bike but good thing you came out alright

tjkamper
March 21st, 2010, 01:14 PM
Can you post up some pictures of the damage to the bike?

cnichols79us
March 21st, 2010, 06:58 PM
S!@# Jeff! I am so Sorry Man. Really glad your ok!!! What is going on here lately? I hope this dropping like flys trend stops now. We are getting kinda crazy here folks. Really glad your OK. Let us know if you need anything.

JeffM
April 3rd, 2010, 06:48 PM
Can you post up some pictures of the damage to the bike?

Tj, not much to see. Besides, I stripped all the body work off right after the crash.

On a side note, she lives :thumbup: I started the bike up today after doing a valve adjustment and new plugs. Had to replace the clutch safety switch and clutch lever - the switch was the culprit that kept the bike from starting.

Tj, let me know when you can start painting. I need to start sanding the body work to prep.

tjkamper
April 5th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Ive been back for about five days. I can start painting as soon as you are ready. Just give me a call. I will be able to work on it during Saturday & Sunday mornings so it may take me two weeks since I have to lay some primer down on some of the panels.

FerociousNINJA
April 5th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Glad to hear you are ok and your gear helped. I learned with water to use the rear brake only. I'm surprised here in Central FL how many riders on their bikes wear short, t-shirts and sneakers.

JeffM
April 5th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks. Still have a sore hand a month and a half later.

Gear is good and I wear all of mine all the time. Regarding other riders, it is their choice not to wear gear but I totally cringe when I see others that are not ATGATT.

izmail1215
May 6th, 2010, 01:55 PM
happy to see your positive and okay!

JeffM
May 9th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Thanks Sam.