View Full Version : SaddleBags. How close is TOO close to the exhaust?

Seattle_Chris
February 18th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Super brief version:
Saddle bags roughly 2.5 inches above the muffler. Think it'll melt?

Long Version:
Ok, so I got my saddlebags the other day, and their kinda wonky at best. Their fieldsheer expandables. REALLY nice bags in construction and features and everything! Their only a wonky FIT on our bike. Ninjettes don't seem to lend themselves to saddlebags. And I lean MUCH more towards SportTourer, than SuperSportster. The Ninjette is one of the few sport looking bikes I actually like. PLUS it's short enough for me stock. :) ANYWAY.

I was taking off my lowers becouse my proton flush mounts are due to arrive in a few hours, and it occured to me to take off my tail covers for a slimmer fit of the saddlebags. And sure enough they fit MUCH better, and theirs space under the seat (front and back) for the double velcro straps to sit and be secured. It was too thick to sit under the passenger seat before. I had to unscrew the blinkers and angle them up which I actually rather like. Especially since I also have bikemonkey itegrated lights coming, I think I'll use BOTH blinkers. :) (Yep, already did the relay, and I have diodes enroute, though I may not have to use the diodes if I keep the old lights too I think)

Anyway, In the first pic here you'll see a stick holding out the saddle bags a bit. I'm thinking to get some mild steel stock, maybe like 2" and bend it into a "U" to hold the bags out from the frame enough to raise up the bottom. WIthout that I only have like a 1" clearance between bag and muffler. I might do little feet on the bottom of the "U" too, as weight supports UNDER the bags.

So, do ya'll think it's enough clearance to keep 'em from melting? I've never paid much mind to how hot the exhaust gets, and I'd prefer not to figure it out using my only saddle bags. :D

Also, do you have any better ideas for DIY supports for 'em? If I end up really likeing the bags, I may go hard case and permenant mounts, but for now I wan't something that if I decide it's just not for me, that I can take off without TOO much work or money invested. :)

Lets hope I can figure out the img insertion without restorting to the help forums. :) Sorry if the images are too big or dark.

http://www.whitedevillabs.com/media/Motorcycle/2-18-2010/P1110014.JPG

http://www.whitedevillabs.com/media/Motorcycle/2-18-2010/P1110011.JPG

http://www.whitedevillabs.com/media/Motorcycle/2-18-2010/P1110010.JPG

Seattle_Chris
February 18th, 2010, 04:49 AM
That's Charlie the Cat in the background if you're wondering whats up with the demonic eyes. :D I call him Charlie becouse he LOVES to bite fingers, then purr.

And YAY, imgs are easy. :D

noche_caliente
February 18th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Chris, I did a DIY on moving the rear turn signals that helped me with the fit of my bags. Without the signals in the way, I could move them further back and snug them up a little tighter, and that gave me a much nicer fit.
hth

Cedilla
February 18th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I would imagine there is some kind of heat shield on the bottom, even if there isn't it should be fine as long as its not touching.

2WheelGuy
February 18th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Your clearance looks good. More than I've got on my bags. I did melt a hole in a bag once. The bag shifted and touched the exhaust. Make sure the bags are secure and load the weight evenly to prevent shifting.

I've since added a layer of heat shield material to the bottom of the bags for added protection.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z193/Chester1469/07172008131_resize.jpg

Seattle_Chris
February 18th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the all the replies guys. :)

@2WheelGuy:Wow, those are Ninja's under their?!? Now THOSE look like FUN bikes! :D

rockNroll
February 18th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Ride around and stop once in awhile and check to see if the bottoms of the bags are gettin hot.

Sailariel
February 18th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Chris, I followed Kim`s DIY and moved my turn signals back-----a little farther than she did, mounting them to the license plate bracket. You would need to do some drilling into the bracket and then drill a hole into the fender behind the license plate (use a rubber grommet when done) With some creative rerouting, the original wires are long enough (just). I was able to move my bags back quite a way which gave me all the clearance I needed. The turn signals are also much more visible.

Seattle_Chris
February 20th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Right on, once my bikemonkey light gets here, I'll read up on the thread and probably move 'em back then. But for now, I've been on my epic 4 hour journey (one way) and they didn't melt. Didn't even get warm enough to still be warm by the time I touched 'em. Like 5 times during the trip.

I look forward to reading up on that thread at work over the weekend. Sounds like a good one. :)

Sailariel
February 20th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Chis, Love your cat. I have two Maine Coon Cats and they are a hoot. The reason I moved my lights back was to accomodate the bags but more importantly to make my directionals more visible. Looking at your pictures, your directionals had the same problem mine had---they were skootched in behind the bags and were not as visible as they were designed to be. Moving them back solved that problem. The bags also look more balanced. I use my bike as a sport-tourer, so it usually carries saddle bags, a tail bag, and a tank bag. My rides are usually 100 to 500mi one way. The 250 is fine for that. I would not, for one minute hesitate to ride my Ninja from Maine to California. With a 15T front sprocket, the bike could do the trip without breathing hard.