View Full Version : Tasmanian Devil Kawi helmet

bdavison
February 21st, 2010, 06:26 AM
My helmet was showing its age, so I figured Id airbrush it until I could pick up a new one.

And everybody knows green goes faster.

Banzai
February 21st, 2010, 06:48 AM
Very cool! Did you do the work? What kind of paint did you use? How does it stand up to the elements and riding?

Snake
February 21st, 2010, 06:55 AM
Looks great. I love the tasmanian devil on there.

ckholloway
February 21st, 2010, 09:57 AM
It looks cool. I would probably not want to replace it now if it was mine. It turned out great.

Very cool! Did you do the work? What kind of paint did you use? How does it stand up to the elements and riding?

I have no clue the type of paint he used but as long as he cleared it then it's no different from a normal graphic helmet. Should last a long time.

bdavison
February 21st, 2010, 10:13 AM
Its very easy to do. You can use just about anything to paint them.
With this one, I used createx paints for the Taz, mixing them to create the colors I needed. The green is "sublime green". I couldnt find the kawasaki green color, and I didnt feel like mixing it up...the sublime green is pretty close.

Once its all painted, then I shoot it with automotive enamel clear coat.

The key to making them hold up well in the elements is the clear coat. Minimum is 4 coats....the pics above was after 1 coat of clear. Follow the instructions on the clear coat and you shouldnt have any problems.

OH...and DO NOT bake a helmet....you must let it dry (cure) on its own. It takes a while, but you cannot bake them or you will destroy the helmet.

addy126
February 22nd, 2010, 11:03 AM
Now that's a cute piece of handywork.. luv it!:thumbup:

CZroe
February 23rd, 2010, 10:00 AM
Wow. You ARE an artist! Can you do mine?

Srsly. Like, how much? ;)

My needs are simple: I need all red with a falcon crest on the top, a false chin to simulate that "gladiator look" and some yellow discs on the side.

My avatar for an over-stylized "Viewtiful Joe-style" version; below is the proper look, though a stylish deviation sounds nice. ;)

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/662/falconknuckle2hl3.jpg

That SkullSkinz place wrote me a nasty and unprofessional response to my questions, so screw 'em.